9750H enough for me?

Nebell

2[H]4U
I'm currently using 2 computers. A laptop and a desktop.
I want to save some space and just use one computer.

I'm using a Dell XPS 9560 laptop with i5 and it's not fast enough for what I do, mainly gaming, photo editing and some very light video editing.
My desktop is i3-8350k (4c/4t cpu, I'm actually quite happy with this little cpu) and 1080Ti. It manages 1440p/120hz very well.

How will i7-9850H perform as a "desktop" computer paired up with an extern video card, compared to my current setup?
I'm planning to keep the laptop for 5 or so years and just replace the video cards.
I know there's some performance loss with external cards, but I'm gaming at 1440p/120hz.

Last edited:
External GPU won't do 1080TI speed. It's going to be limited by the 4x PCIE lanes of the thunderbolt 3 connection.

I can be wrong, but the last time I checked, the 1080TI was doing 1080 speed on a PCIE x4 connection.

I guess you can simulate a future PCIE bottleneck by setting your GPU slot at X4 and checking if that kind of framerate will be acceptable to you.

That said, I remember checking a 9750H, and in Cinebench R15, it performed similarly to a 2600/X.

External GPU won't do 1080TI speed. It's going to be limited by the 4x PCIE lanes of the thunderbolt 3 connection.

I can be wrong, but the last time I checked, the 1080TI was doing 1080 speed on a PCIE x4 connection.

I guess you can simulate a future PCIE bottleneck by setting your GPU slot at X4 and checking if that kind of framerate will be acceptable to you.

That said, I remember checking a 9750H, and in Cinebench R15, it performed similarly to a 2600/X.

Thanks for the reply.
I'm probably not going to get a video card right now and just go with whatever the laptop has. Rumor is (and it's about time) that Nvidia will release new video cards next year.
I read somewhere that the results should be between 10-30% loss. Next gen high end Ti card should pass 1080Ti performance :)

If faster GPUs use more bandwidth (they probably will), then the loss % will be higher every newer/faster generation. More efficient architectures (in terms of bandwidth vs absolute performance) will see less loss, while less efficient ones will see more.
If you're going to do 1440p/120hz, I'd probably wait for thunderbolt (and the GPUs themselves) to go the PCIE 4.0 route first, since PCIE 4.0 x4 will carry around as much bandwidth as PCIE 3 8x...

Do you plan to use an external monitor? If you do the performance hit is not too bad, maybe ~15%. I am running two eGPU setups and have been pretty happy with the results.

Do you plan to use an external monitor? If you do the performance hit is not too bad, maybe ~15%. I am running two eGPU setups and have been pretty happy with the results.

Correct. I won't be using eGPU for anything but gaming on my 1440p TV.
The laptop itself will be used only for light gaming and photo editing.

I've been looking at Alienware laptops. Damn those white ones look nice!
Especially M15 R2. But then there's Area 51m which is a monster with desktop components but I'm not sure about its portability (I'm anyway not the type to carry around my laptop, mostly from one room to another).
I'm leaning towards M15 R2 because it has a much better screen (going for OLED 4k) and is portable. And that 2060/1660Ti is no slotch.
But on the other side, I need performance for gaming, not photo editing, and for that, Area 51m is much better, but it has a crappier screen and when I decide to take it with me, it's gonna suck.

Correct. I won't be using eGPU for anything but gaming on my 1440p TV.
The laptop itself will be used only for light gaming and photo editing.

I've been looking at Alienware laptops. Damn those white ones look nice!
Especially M15 R2. But then there's Area 51m which is a monster with desktop components but I'm not sure about its portability (I'm anyway not the type to carry around my laptop, mostly from one room to another).
I'm leaning towards M15 R2 because it has a much better screen (going for OLED 4k) and is portable. And that 2060/1660Ti is no slotch.
But on the other side, I need performance for gaming, not photo editing, and for that, Area 51m is much better, but it has a crappier screen and when I decide to take it with me, it's gonna suck.

You are probably looking at the higher specced R2s but the M15 R1 is on sale in Dell Outlet. The base spec (8750H + GTX1060) is ~$700.

https://slickdeals.net/f/13465834-a...0-60-hz-via-dell-outlet-689?src=frontpage&v=1

Back