• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

9700pro Faster then X800

IcIrIs

n00b
Joined
Sep 2, 2004
Messages
15
First let me start off with stating that I am 14 with a lot of computer knowledge. I know more then the average Joe so most of the stuff you say I will understand.

My dad got me a Sapphire X800 Pro Vivo, we did the bios hack and it worked. (It runs just about at XT PE levels (515Core and 553Mem(stable)) How ever when we run it in my computer I do not get the frames that I should be getting, in fact I am getting worse frames with the X800 then my 9700pro. When I was running Farcry with the card in my machine I was getting an average of 15fps, and then when we put it in my dad’s computer it average 60fps with the same settings in the game. Doom 3 we get an average of 40 fps with my dad’s settings looking at the ship at the beginning of the game, and then when it is in my computer it gets 11fps. I was wondering if there is some way to fix it.

We know that it isn't the card considering we put it in my dad’s computer and he is running an Asus A7N8X with a 2500 Barton Mobile (Yes it is overclocked) and an Antec 480 TurePower, and it works fine in his computer.

We started doing a test on my computer, First we checked the rails on my PowerSuply, we got a reading on the MultiMeter of 12.4 on the 12 line, and averages 4.77 on the 5volt line. This is something that was bothering me. What we wanted to try was putting a Enermax 420watt on and see if it runs then. I have no idea what role the 5volt rail plays with the X800.

After doing that we stuck the 9700pro back into my computer to use until we find a solution to the problem, and until then the X800 is sitting and collecting dust. He told me that if I do not find a solution to the problem then he is going to sell it.

CPU: AMD Athlon XP 2400+ OC to a PR of 3200
RAM: 1024meg Samsung 2700mhz
MOBO: Asus A7V333 (Newest 4in1) (Newest Bios)
Power: TurboLink 420watt
VID: ATi 9700pro (Cat 4.8)
HD: 1x Maxtor 80gig + 1x Maxtor 60gig
OS: Windows XP Pro (SP1)
 
Probably a driver issue. Download driver cleaner 3, install it.

then uninstall your ATI drivers and apps. go to device manager and uninstall your display adapter.

restart into safe mode. run driver cleaner 3, and remove all ATI and Nvidia display drivers using it.

then run Cab cleaner (from the driver cleaner menu). remove ati and nvidia drivers from all your cab files.

restart into normal mode. install your 4.8 cats.
 
p0tempkin said:
Probably a driver issue. Download driver cleaner 3, install it.

then uninstall your ATI drivers and apps. go to device manager and uninstall your display adapter.

restart into safe mode. run driver cleaner 3, and remove all ATI and Nvidia display drivers using it.

then run Cab cleaner (from the driver cleaner menu). remove ati and nvidia drivers from all your cab files.

restart into normal mode. install your 4.8 cats.

Already done that, did that before. I should have put it in the post.
 
CPU limited?

I had the same type of deal with my card (genuine, not flashed) until I upped my fsb then the card started to shine. It was frustrating at first though that my 9700 seemed to have performed better. I dunno, gl though
 
Run Doom 3 with AA/AF with both cards. Yes, you're CPU bottlenecked, but the X800 should take a commanding lead in graphics bound situations.
 
maybe mobo bios related things that have a greater impact on the x800 as opposed to the 9700 pro. sideband addressing, fast-write, custom agp frequency, palette snoop, etc.

are the operating system's different?

i would use the program "powerstrip" to see if anything is coming up as being disabled during the x800 usage.

also some drivers for the x800 are really crappy on some systems with opengl based games, do you see the same performance hit with dx9 games?
 
Ocean said:
maybe mobo bios related things that have a greater impact on the x800 as opposed to the 9700 pro. sideband addressing, fast-write, custom agp frequency, palette snoop, etc.

are the operating system's different?

i would use the program "powerstrip" to see if anything is coming up as being disabled during the x800 usage.

also some drivers for the x800 are really crappy on some systems with opengl based games, do you see the same performance hit with dx9 games?

As I said, I am also getting a major decrease in FarCry which is a DX9 game so it is not the drivers, at least I do not think so.


MemoryInAGarden said:
Run Doom 3 with AA/AF with both cards. Yes, you're CPU bottlenecked, but the X800 should take a commanding lead in graphics bound situations.

I do not think that there is a bottleneck considering I am running my CPU 2.24gig (PR of 3200). The only thing that may be bottlenecking is the Cash on the CPU but I do not think it would take me down as much as it is now.
 
Before I share my views, I went from a 9700pro to a x800pro "same x800 as you" And I saw a huge gain in frames across the board.

Now, those 4.8's and 4.9's don't do shit for me, they even casue issues, you should really consider the 4.7's I feel they're a better all around driver.

As far as Farcry goes... the x800s' have had issues with that game from the get go, Even when my frames are sky high in 1600x1200 I still have textures that randomly vanish. That is a driver issue.

The cpu does bring the bottleneck issue into play, I've read threads on other boards and maybe even here that mentioned to really see these newer cards fly, you'd need at least 3.0ghz to make full use of them. I'm doing 3.6ghz off a 3.0ghz, my frames are awesome in everything including doom3 1600x1200 4aa/4af never go under 30fps....never go above 50 ? and average in the mid 30's. Are you running the exact same settings as your dad?
You did mention alot of power usage in those specs...but a 420 should handle it unless you have 2 bay drives and a boat load of case fans. I had issues with one of builds last year... power being the problem, it never showed a loss in frames, it would either lock up or kick me to desktop...So I'm pretty sure it's not a power issue
 
Now that I reading what I wrote, how about your irq's? nothing sharing with the video card is there? They say to keep that first pci slot open due to they most times share a irq with the agp.?
 
Relo@d said:
Now that I reading what I wrote, how about your irq's? nothing sharing with the video card is there? They say to keep that first pci slot open due to they most times share a irq with the agp.?

If it was an IRQ problem then the card wouldn't work at all, so I think that it thows that out of the questions, as far as I know. (I could be wrong though). I want to do some more testing with the card later today when my dad is home and I can get to the card.

I reinstalled my 4in1s and I want to see if it helps. I was doing some reading and with some computers you need to reinstall the 4in1s when you upgrade to a new VID card.
 
DruSi3r said:
just reformat...trust me

Reformate HA, more work then would have been needed. My dad very rarely ever reformats he finds the problems and fixes them.

_______________________________________________

I would like to thank all of the people that helped me find the solution to my problem.

Here is what I did to get it working, with the help and pointers from thread and dad.

1. Went into safe mode
2. Uninstalled the latest VIA 4-in-1 drivers
3. Uninstalled ATI Drivers
4. Ran Driver Cleaner 3
5. Turned off computer
6. Put in X800 Pro
7. Installed VIA 4-in-1 drivers version 1.43 (Recommended by my dad. (Uncle))
8. Restarted Computer
9. Installed ATI Cats 4.8
10. Restarted
11. Played games with an X800 Pro (Modded to XT PE (520 Core – 553 Mem) With 16 Pipes) (Dad (Uncle) Flashed the card for me :D)
12. Posted thanks on forums.
 
IcIrIs said:
Reformate HA, more work then would have been needed. My dad very rarely ever reformats he finds the problems and fixes them.

_______________________________________________

I would like to thank all of the people that helped me find the solution to my problem.

Here is what I did to get it working, with the help and pointers from thread and dad.

1. Went into safe mode
2. Uninstalled the latest VIA 4-in-1 drivers
3. Uninstalled ATI Drivers
4. Ran Driver Cleaner 3
5. Turned off computer
6. Put in X800 Pro
7. Installed VIA 4-in-1 drivers version 1.43 (Recommended by my dad. (Uncle))
8. Restarted Computer
9. Installed ATI Cats 4.8
10. Restarted
11. Played games with an X800 Pro (Modded to XT PE (520 Core – 553 Mem) With 16 Pipes) (Dad (Uncle) Flashed the card for me :D)
12. Posted thanks on forums.

trust me there are situations on windows that only a new install will cure, not even if your dad was bill gates. lol
good to hear that you have it all working.
 
and i can reinstall in like 30mins and have most programs/ a few games within a hour. My most recent reformat was with SP2. I guarantee you will get more frames/less problems with a fresh install and 4.9cats dx9.0c and unneeded services turned off.
 
Back
Top