9700 Pro Dead?

IceDigger

[H]F Junkie
I just started to play Freedom Fighters today and it crashes as soon as it gets into the game. The screen just freezes.

The card is only a year old. Should it have died so soon?

Everything other then gaming works 100% though.

No overclocking on both the CPU and Graphics card.

Just tried Gothic 2 with the same effect.

I paid $300 for this over a year ago and now I have to get a new card?

/me cries

Uninstall your drivers, run Driver CLeaner and re-install Catalysts to see if that fixes the issue. Worse case scenario: Reinstall OS and other software. Also make sure your games have THE lastest patches.

Link for Driver Cleaner:

http://www.driverheaven.net/cleaner/

Been there done it Merlin704. Fresh install of windows same thing.

I need comforting, I know my card is dead and it needs a proper funeral.

Guess I'll pick up a 9800XT at best buy if they have any today.

Blah, maybe I'll just wait for the next gen ones to come out and put a 9200 pro I have lying around in it.

Warranty is probably only a year like most things. Plus I put a iceberq 4 on it so it kinda voids the warranty anyway.

Originally posted by IceDigger
Warranty is probably only a year like most things. Plus I put a iceberq 4 on it so it kinda voids the warranty anyway.

According to ATi's site, Radeon 7000 and newer have 3yr Warranty. Their turn around is 10-Days.

If you can, try the card in a different system.

If it still doesn't work (and it's Built By ATI), then RMA it. You have a 3 year warranty. Just put the stock heatsink back on.

i'll buy it from you to help fund your 9800xt ;D

wlel... if you sell it to me REALLY REALLY CHEAP.

Just for the hell of it. You could try flashing it's bios (not the mobo, the actual graphics card). Maybe it got corrupted somehow?

In my experience, normally when a graphics card goes out, but will still work, it has artifacts on the screen when you're looking in 2d mode (like the desktop). If you've ever used a VGA-splitter without amplifications, you'll see "shadows" (not enough voltage to power both), this is sorta the type of artifacts you may see if the card was really dead.

As always, don't buy a 9800XT from the store. You can find deals on many graphics card on places like pricewatch.com and EBay (especially if you want the 9800XT, a good $75-$100 savings).

Try installing the DNA drivers (do a search for DNA Radeon drivers on yahoo) after removing the cats.

Also give ATI's tech support a ring-a-ling. Tell them you'd rather avoid RMA'ing it if possible and explain the situation (forgetting to mention the non-stock hsf of course).

OR, post in "For Sale / For Trade" of this forum (on the main hardforum.com page) and ask to buy a stock heatsink fan for your card. Many of us who put non-stock HSF on them keep the old ones lying around. I'm sure someone will part with it for $5 + shipping.

Ok you guys are freaking me out i just got my 9700pro today :( but i only paid $209 maybe it was that 3rd party cooler you installed im gonna run stock everything not even overclock im too scared

I agree with spidey.

You can probably get a good deal online, but you'll probably get the best price at the For Sale/Trade forums.

Duckzilla, no overclocking. The reason why I got the new hsf was because the card crashed every few hours for some odd reason and I thought it was heat related.

So i got it working. Applied more thermal grease because when I lifted up the hsf none of the thermal paste was actually on the hsf.

Tommorow I return the 9800XT to best buy. I HAD ONE IN MY SYSTEM THOUGH! And it was sweet.

LMAO....man when i was reading the first page i was thinking if its not working in 3d mode its got to be getting too hot and you changed the hsf on it yourself so i bet that bitch aint touching. remove the shim and go light on the grease and maybe lap the heatsink. dont just throw the crap on there:D well we all learn glad your cards not borked;)

Originally posted by Mikey20
Ok you guys are freaking me out i just got my 9700pro today :( but i only paid $209 maybe it was that 3rd party cooler you installed im gonna run stock everything not even overclock im too scared

My 9700pro is rock solid at 380mhz gpu <same as 9800pro's stock>. I also modded mine with a ThermalTake Giant II <awesome but loud>....anyway dont worry about your 9700pro there Good cards

DASHlT

Back