9700 NP question

laptop

Limp Gawd
Hello
I have a few questions about a 9700 np I just got from a hardform member.
The card has a sticker that says 9700 but windows says its a 9700 PRO.
I have 4.8 installed and when I try to install 4.9 my system crashes on boot.
Furthermore I installed rage3d and it says defalt clocks are 275/275.
Sandra says its a 9700 pro r300. Now I am really confused.
Why the crash on boot with 4.9? Why not a crash in halo or doom3?
Why the low clocks in the rage3d utility? Is this a 9700 with a 9700pro
bios? Is there a utility that tells the clock frequency of a card?

Thanks

Update.
I got 4.9 to work.
The cc says clocks are 277/270.
This is the default for a NP right?
The cc says its a pro. What gives?

The 9700NP is usually just a 9700 Pro, with a different BIOS, slower-rated RAM (on some cards), and slower clocks (275/270 versus 325/310). Windows will see it as a 9700 Pro, just with clocks set to 275/270. My Sapphire 9700NP (black PCB), even on stock cooling could hit 325/310 without a problem (it's got 3.6ns Hynix RAM). It's at 370/310 now, with a VGA Silencer.

I have found out that by bios does not allow overclocking.
I kept raising the clocks to crazy speeds with no effect.
Where can I find a bios for this card that allows oc'ng?
I did a google search and the sites I found either didnt work
(3dchipset) or I cant tell what ones are unlocked(tech power up).
Its an ati with infineon ram.Bios version BK-AMI VER008.004.008.000

Thanks

laptop said:
I have found out that by bios does not allow overclocking.
I kept raising the clocks to crazy speeds with no effect.
Where can I find a bios for this card that allows oc'ng?
I did a google search and the sites I found either didnt work
(3dchipset) or I cant tell what ones are unlocked(tech power up).

Thanks

What ns is the memory? If it is Samsung K4D26323RA - GC2A or K4D263238E GC2A.......then you can take the risk of flash it to regular pro. Search forums before flashing as i'm not responsible if something goes wrong.

What ns is the memory? If it is Samsung K4D26323RA - GC2A or K4D263238E GC2A.......then you can take the risk of flash it to regular pro. Search forums before flashing as i'm not responsible if something goes wrong.

As I said in the previous post :D :p :rolleyes:

3dchipset has some bioses you can try.

Although, from what I've heard the Omega drivers defeat the oc lock that is on the 9700's, 9500's. Or was it Radlinker or Rivatuner...one of them....
http://www.3dchipset.com/bios/ati/warp11/index.php
http://www.rojakpot.com/default.aspx?location=3&var1=105&var2=0

this one has some "softmod" stuff and patches to allow o/cing those cards.
http://www.techpowerup.com/bios/

:EDIT: ^ that site also has the option to d/l a pre-modified bios with clock speeds of your chosing...however, be forwarned on doing something like that as I've never tried it and could be pretty risky.

I'd try ocing with a driver patch or utility before trying to flash your bios. if you do decide to flash your bios, use the flash util and backup the original and have a pci card handy or make a couple batch files ahead of time.

I'd try ocing with a driver patch or utility before trying to flash your bios. if you do decide to flash your bios, use the flash util and backup the original and have a pci card handy or make a couple batch files ahead of time.

I will try the driver patch but I am quite shure I read the bios is locked.
This link
Will not work for me.
The download button brings me to
http://www.3dchipset.com
Not the download.
I cant figure out why.
I might try signing up on there forums.
Mabey I need to be a member.

laptop said:
I will try the driver patch but I am quite shure I read the bios is locked.
This link
Will not work for me.
The download button brings me to
http://www.3dchipset.com
Not the download.
I cant figure out why.
I might try signing up on there forums.
Mabey I need to be a member.

hmmm....not sure why that link won't work. I just clicked on it and it went straight there. if you go to the main site > Bios Files (at the top of the page under the 3dchipset logo) > Warp11 it should take you to the same place.

Just tried it again. When I click the download button next to
Hercules & PowerColor & Generic 9700 Non-Pro Beta BIOS
It just re directs me to the home page.
Dont know why. Anyway I was thinking.
Couldnt I just get a bios from tech power up for a 9700pro
and set the clocks (it lets you select the bios default) to
the speed I have now? As long as the ram is the same I
should be good to go right? I could always just overclock
with a utility after the flash.

in theory...yes. as long as your ram is the same brand/type...it's probably safe to try...but make a backup of the original first just in case. and have a pci card handy just in case.

I would try ATITool.
It has an option which defeats the clock lock on certain cards
Or.. I would just flash it with a special bios (I think I saw one on the same site which has the ATITool)

D.

It has been awhile, but I am sure that Rage3dtweaker or Rivatuner would overclock that card. I did not think it was bios locked. i have heard that a 9700 Pro bios would allow further overclocks.

I would recommend finding your perfect clock speeds with an overclocking utility (i'm sure one of them will work, try installing the latest Omega drivers and using ATITool) and then modifying a bios file to those speeds. I'm using this one which I edited to 360/330 (a touch below the highest speeds my card runs) with my 9700 np.

And read up on blind flashing "just in case" so that you don't loose your card if you mess up! It's a good idea to make a blind flash floppy or CD ahead of time. Google it, i'm sure someone has a premade one that will fit.

making a "blind flash disk" is pretty easy. Just make a normal bootdisk and take out all the extra crap, empty out the config.sys, replace everything in the autoexec.bat file to just the line that flashes the original bios file to the card. Of course, you'll need the flash util and original bios file on the disk for this to work :p

I have one for my ATI9600xt.

The other thing you may try is ROMBIOS. It's on one of those links I posted above. Basically it will test the new bios you're about to flash with the card. It only works in Dos, but will at least tell you if you'll get corruption in a basic DOS mode or if nothing comes back on the screen...you'll know the card won't post with that bios.

I highly recommend using Rombios before actually flashing the bios to your card. I did with my 9600xt and I tested 2 files that I would have regretted flashing but the Rombios allowed me to test them without flashing the card.

Got a good flash and got clocks to 335/300.
The ram is holding me back. I am going to play
with the core some more cause I only raised it to
335 and started playing with the ram.
Thanks for the help guys.

last post for me on this subject.
Clocks at 380/300 aprox on air.
Bet I can get more when I add ram sinks
and put my water block on it.
Glad I unlocked the bios.
Never thought I would get the core so high.

congrats on those nice clocks.

Ramsinks probably won't help you unless you're overvolting them.

personal experience with my 9600xt though...you're may be completely different ;)

adding ram sinks with my ram at stock voltage didn't gain me anything. I upped the voltage on the ram from 2.5v to 2.9 and I was able to hit 360mhz, then after adding some decent sized home-made ramsinks I was able to hit 373mhz.

but I think it may all be the same if you have good airflow over the card.

Omega drivers do the work for me and other ways of overcloaking don't work with my BBA 9700np. I can get to 370/303 speed (crappy hynix ram) on stock heatsink. Adding aluminium ramsinks haven't helped at all.

In a related problem, I am not able to boost my Core from 270 to anything above 290 without getting ATI Tool artifacts. After a 15min burn in the core temp only goes from 36C to 39C and stays there. I have a Zalman heatpipe, AS5, and fan instaleld on it. If i put core up to like 330+ it runs Doom3 and CS:S benches fine wiht no artifacts and stays at 39C. Why is ATI Tool giving me a billion artifacts at a tiny core increase?

n64man120 said:
In a related problem, I am not able to boost my Core from 270 to anything above 290 without getting ATI Tool artifacts. After a 15min burn in the core temp only goes from 36C to 39C and stays there. I have a Zalman heatpipe, AS5, and fan instaleld on it. If i put core up to like 330+ it runs Doom3 and CS:S benches fine wiht no artifacts and stays at 39C. Why is ATI Tool giving me a billion artifacts at a tiny core increase?

not sure, my 9600xt does the same thing. ATITOOL shows all kinds of artifacts when I raise my core/mem from default of 500/325 to 650/350...however, I can play games without artifacts/snow at 655/384. I did find it slightly useful though to mess around with the mem timings on the video card. before doing that, I was only able to raise the mem to 370. After tinkering with the settings and getting another 14mhz from my ram, I used Rabit 1.5 to edit my 9600xt bios with the new timings and flashed it.

Back