9600XT Poor Performance Question

Acidwarp01

Limp Gawd
Fooling around with settings and I set the AGP port to 4X and my FPS are much more stable. They seem to run steady at 50FPS and only drop off after about 45 mins or so. My motherboard manual and MSI's website both make it well known that the board supports 8x. I am thinking about just getting a refund and purchasing another card...... :(

Have you got vpu recovery disabled?and also check if fast writes is enabled in your bio's is yes then disable also.;)

I dont think it's the board as my brother runs that exact board with an axp2100+ and a PowerColor Radeon 9700Pro and after he updated to the latest bio's and disabled fast writes in the bios it runs rock stable:confused:
Might just be a faulty card maybe?

I thought it might be the card also. After doing alot of searching lastnight there is a bunch of people having problems with the 9600XT card. Doesn't cost me anything but the price of shipping to exchange it, so I may just go that route.:eek:

Return that pup and consider Jane BFG Asylum 5900, if you
want something at the same price point that works across the
board. Plus it has VIVO, all the adapters, and a retail Call of Duty
in the box. I bought one for exactly the same price as the 9600XT
and I like it. Call me crazy.

I also have an ATI 9600XT, and although not terribly dissapointed
I am dissapointed in the performance overall. You want to see a
limitation try to play UT2003 with Fast Writes turned on. Yikes!!

I'm no fanboy either way. I like both brands. I just wanted to lay
out a real world experience. For the same retail dollars, the BFG
5900 is a better deal. I don't own a 9800SE, so I can't say one
way or another how it compares. However, the 9800SE is
cheaper than either the 5900 or 9600XT. The 9800Pro (+$100)
should be better, but I'm not sure about the textures issues in
games like UT2K3.

I think the 9600XT is riding the wave of the 9800 benchmarks
and unfortunately for consumers is over-priced now considering
all you get is a card and driver CD. I also think that reviewers are
really biased toward ATI, which skews the consumer mindset.
Reviews are most of the reason I bought a 9600XT in the first
place. Maybe I wasn't reading between the lines well enough. hmmm

While here, could someone tell me how the ATI 9600XT was
packaged? For example, did it come in a static proof bag or ?
I have everything else under control, the HL2 coupon, the driver
CD and the box in perfect condition, but due to holiday
celebration I can't remember how the card was packaged. I'm also thinking about returning it. :rolleyes:

Originally posted by elderdog

While here, could someone tell me how the ATI 9600XT was
packaged? For example, did it come in a static proof bag or ?
I have everything else under control, the HL2 coupon, the driver
CD and the box in perfect condition, but due to holiday
celebration I can't remember how the card was packaged. I'm also thinking about returning it. :rolleyes:

Thats all the came in my box from newegg. I'm really thinking about sending mine back too. The performance is horrible, and friends are seeing the same thing. Don't know if I want to spluge for a 9800 or just get a geforce card.... choices.....

Acidwarp01 I think your scores are kind of low, but your processor isn't all that fast either. An XP2000 runs at what 1.6Ghz? not very fast even for a Athlon. Even though they are slighty faster than a P4 at 2.0Ghz, a P4 2.0 Is low end now-a-days. Midrange now is an Athlon XP2500. If you get roughly the same scores with a new card then maybe it's time to upgrade your motherboard/CPU

and also check if fast writes is enabled in your bio's is yes then disable also

I have a gf 4 ti 4200. Would turning off the fast writes speed me up?

"Acidwarp01 I think your scores are kind of low, but your processor isn't all that fast either. An XP2000 runs at what 1.6Ghz? not very fast even for a Athlon. Even though they are slighty faster than a P4 at 2.0Ghz, a P4 2.0 Is low end now-a-days. Midrange now is an Athlon XP2500. If you get roughly the same scores with a new card then maybe it's time to upgrade your motherboard/CPU"

I wondered at one point if that could be an issue. I have looked into that. I could of gotten a Barton 2500 and 512Mbs of PC2700 for what I paid for this card..... Of course then I wouldnt of had this card.....:D

You must be doing something wrong as i can run my 9600XT with eycandy turned right up in ut2k3 and it is smooth as;)
For a start why enable fastwrites?

A friend recommended that I download 3Dmark2001 and 3Dmark03. After running 3dmark2001 and comparing my score to other users who have my processor I think Superunknown98 may be right. My score is close to the others. I scored 11266. The biggest gap I found was by 800 points and he had overclocked his FSB.

In 3Dmark2003 I got a score of 3708. Again this was comparable to other users who ran my processor. So I guess I'll AIM to upgrade my Processor and RAM......

you got good 3dmark scores, which means the card is probably fine. I've got feelin theres something wrong with your game setup.

You must be doing something wrong as i can run my
9600XT with eycandy turned right up in ut2k3 and it is smooth as
For a start why enable fastwrites?

Why not turn on fast writes, it doesn't seem to hurt Nvidia hardware. Well, not anymore than it is already hurting. :)

ut2k3 plays fine on the 9600XT with fast writes off. The fast write bug has been around in one form or another for ATI Radeon hardware forever. I thought they'd moved beyond that and was very surprized to find out they hadn't. In my case I just didn't do enough research before buying the 9600XT. I don't like having to deal with limitations. It's just one more layer of troubleshooting to get across the board game compatibility. Same with having to turn off AA in the control panel to get fonts to work in bf1942.

The 9600XT is an OK card (albeit overpriced now), and anyone that is happy with it should feel good about their decision to keep it. The 5900 has dropped to a reasonable retail price on par with the 9600XT price and is hands down a better piece of hardware. Anyone that has just purchased a 9600XT and can return it without penalty would be missing an opportunity to get better hardware at the same price point. But everyone has to do what they think is right for their situation. If the 9800 Pro dropped in price, I'd be on that bugs or not.

I wouldn't be surprized if most of the limitations with graphics cards these days were game engine and DX induced.

It's stopped raining here, time to get outside.

I thought I read some where that if you have a 9600XT it had to have fast write enable or I might just be seeing things.

The CPU is bottenecking the card SOME, but not too bad. RMA the card if you can and try to get a 5900/9700 or better if you can. I've got a Willy running a 1.8 right now and a 9700 pro and I have no problems with UT2K3 at 12x10 2x/8x and bf1942 at 4x/16x. 3DMark was 13111

Back