9600k higher usage when OC'd?

Eshelmen

Supreme [H]ardness
Hi All,

I upgraded to a 2070 Super this weekend from a 1070. Great card!

However, I noticed that my cpu usage is nearly maxed out when OC'd at 5ghz versus stock levels.

In BFV CPU usage is in the 90 to 98% usage bracket when OC'D to 5ghz@1440p

But at stock (4.3ghz all cores), usage dips to an average of around 70%@1440p
Same applies for all other intense games - Scum, Hell Let Loose, etc..

Is this normal? I would assume with higher frequencies that usage would go down, not up.

Doesnt make sense.

Hi All,

I upgraded to a 2070 Super this weekend from a 1070. Great card!

However, I noticed that my cpu usage is nearly maxed out when OC'd at 5ghz versus stock levels.

In BFV CPU usage is in the 90 to 98% usage bracket when OC'D to 5ghz@1440p

But at stock (4.3ghz all cores), usage dips to an average of around 70%@1440p
Same applies for all other intense games - Scum, Hell Let Loose, etc..

Is this normal? I would assume with higher frequencies that usage would go down, not up.

Doesnt make sense.

Is the OC confirmed stable? Does the framerate change?

Confirmed 1.38v stable.
Frame rate is good and consistent.

So the framerate doesnt change in games whether youre at stock 4.3, or OC 5.0? Also, were these issues present with your old GPU?

The only time ive seen things like this are with a slightly unstable OC (even RAM would do it too, not sure if you OC that), but I have seen CPUs that will either go from normal usage to 0 - 5%, or run at near full max constantly when under load due to a slight instability. Maybe try dropping clocks on your CPU a bit? Do a 4.8 run or somthing that might be a little more stable?

EDIT - If you do try to lower your CPU clock, dont change ANY othe rsettings. We would want to isolate as many variables as possible.

So the framerate doesnt change in games whether youre at stock 4.3, or OC 5.0? Also, were these issues present with your old GPU?

The only time ive seen things like this are with a slightly unstable OC (even RAM would do it too, not sure if you OC that), but I have seen CPUs that will either go from normal usage to 0 - 5%, or run at near full max constantly when under load due to a slight instability. Maybe try dropping clocks on your CPU a bit? Do a 4.8 run or somthing that might be a little more stable?

EDIT - If you do try to lower your CPU clock, dont change ANY othe rsettings. We would want to isolate as many variables as possible.
I'll try that when I get back later. Thanks for the tips.

To be honest, frame rate is around 4 to 6% higher with the higher frequencies.

No issues with the 1070 either. 2070 super is running perfectly too.

I'll try that when I get back later. Thanks for the tips.

To be honest, frame rate is around 4 to 6% higher with the higher frequencies.

No issues with the 1070 either. 2070 super is running perfectly too.

Thats a good sign then, try shaving off a few cycles from your CPU and let us know how it goes.

I think it is simply that you changed graphics cards and the 2070 can push more frames, which need to be served up faster by the cpu.

I think it is simply that you changed graphics cards and the 2070 can push more frames, which need to be served up faster by the cpu.
I believe he's saying with the new card, non-overclocked he is not seeing as high of CPU %'s. Not with the old card. That said, I would try lower clock speeds, if the problem persists it may be some state or setting somewhere in the OC settings (or even windows power plan, something) that is causing it. I would go back to where you know it's fine and then do a SINGLE thing at a time until you see it. Aka, enable OC (But don't touch anything, check %). Go back and adjust a SINGLE item and test, etc. Slow painful testing is probably the only way to find out what's causing it unfortunetly. Odd issue indeed though.

I wonder if he is having cache errors, maybe look for faults at the bottom of hwinfo’s sensor display?

Back