• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

9600gt overclock

ep3w

Gawd
Joined
Apr 4, 2008
Messages
694
Kind of a noob question, but this is my first time trying to OC and gpu. Stock clocks are 650/900. I have it up to 700/950, around what the lower level stock OCed ones are at. Temperatures without adjusting the fan are at 55 idle and around 66 after playing TF2 for an hour or so. The card is fine in any games I have tried, but it does artifact in the firefly forest in 3DMark. My main question is, even though the temperatures seem in check still, would getting a better cooling solution such as the accelero S1 help me to OC it any higher or am i just hitting the limits of the card?
 
sounds like you're at the limit of your memory chips, or rather PAST the limit since you're artifacting. You may be able to go up a bit further on the core.
 
I was afraid I was at the limit, thanks for the answers! Looks like I just didn't have the best of luck with this build for parts, my CPU seems stuck at 2.65 without huge increases in voltage too.
 
ouch check out my MSI 9600GT your clocks seem way off i'd say you got a real bad card. i mean my 9600GT is the stock version and gets much better results, at the same temps.
 
Bump it way up and see what happens. Try 742 / 1080 that is my cards max and it's a first release of the card.
 
Mine is the stock version but I bought it maybe 7 months ago. I tried setting it to 740/975 based off the EVGA SSC version and the driver crashed almost instantly after starting 3Dmark, temps I believe were in check but I can't remember them exactly so I will give it another go this afternoon when I have a chance (I can't imagine they were too much). I feel like I must have got a bad card, I have seen a lot of really good results with these. I am open to any suggestions of things to try.
 
be sure your drivers are up to date first thing. Turn the fan speed up to 100%.
 
BE sure to make sure the fan speed STAYS @ 100% i know in Rivatuner setting it to 100% doesn't "stick" and must be reapplied best bet is too use ntune and set it through that way. and also run either Nvidia's Nvmonitor app that keeps track of temps and fan speed or use Rivatuners Hardware monitoring function to do the same.
 
I am using the latest drivers, 178.13 for vista 64-bit and ntune to adjust the clocks. I tried it again with 100% fan at 740/975. It was idling at 49C and got up to 60C under load. The first test in 3Dmark went fine but again once it got to the firefly forest there were artifacts and then near the end of that, the drive crashed. I could definitely hear the fan at 100% the whole time.

Edit: At 700/950 setting the fan to 100% does not change anything, still artifacts but does not crash.
 
I am using the latest drivers, 178.13 for vista 64-bit and ntune to adjust the clocks. I tried it again with 100% fan at 740/975. It was idling at 49C and got up to 60C under load. The first test in 3Dmark went fine but again once it got to the firefly forest there were artifacts and then near the end of that, the drive crashed. I could definitely hear the fan at 100% the whole time.

Edit: At 700/950 setting the fan to 100% does not change anything, still artifacts but does not crash.

What about in games. 3dmark could be freezing due to 3dmark not your video card. Play through a few games at the high clock and see what it looks like.
 
I played TF2 at 700/950 for a few hours and I didn't notice a single artifact and temps never got above about 65C. I will try it out at 740/975 when I get a chance. I have been leaving it at 700/950 for now since i haven't noticed anything in games, but artifacts in 3dmark. Could this have an adverse affects on the card or do any damage?
 
well with my card if I go above 750 3d mark 06 it crashes but I can run crysis for hours at 780 with no issues.
 
Take caution... If you're artifacting when overclocking and weren't at stock, stop trying to figure out whats wrong with the drivers and adjusting the fan speeds. The card (particularly the memory) is telling you something. you're pushing it too far and if you keep trying to force the issue, you could permanently damage the card. It has nothing to do with drivers, it has nothing to do with temps, fan speeds, riva tuner or 3dmark.
 
Overclocking is always YMMV - you guys have been here longer and still seem a lil oblivious. Pushing him to do stuff that his card may not be able to do, what's the point? His thing seems to be artifacting enough already. Find the spot where nothing artifacts then just leave it there.
 
Overclocking is always YMMV - you guys have been here longer and still seem a lil oblivious. Pushing him to do stuff that his card may not be able to do, what's the point? His thing seems to be artifacting enough already. Find the spot where nothing artifacts then just leave it there.

Exactly what I did. The core was fine up to 720mhz which is decent but the memory started to artifact anywhere past 920mhz. Looks like this card just isn't a great OCer. Still seems odd it was fine in TF2 (haven't tried anything else lately) but even a small bump in the memory saw artifacts in 3Dmark.
 
It's really not odd at all. Different games/apps use the card differently. I had a factory overclocked XFX 8800GT that worked fine in everything except for two games. GRID and Assassins Creed. Everything else worked fine, including Crysis. In GRID however, I would get the occassional flickering texture and sometimes on exit, the PC would blue screen and reboot. In AC the game itself would hang with corrupted graphics after a few minutes. I lowered the memory clock by 10MHz, and it fixed the issues I had with both games.
 
It's really not odd at all. Different games/apps use the card differently. I had a factory overclocked XFX 8800GT that worked fine in everything except for two games. GRID and Assassins Creed. Everything else worked fine, including Crysis. In GRID however, I would get the occassional flickering texture and sometimes on exit, the PC would blue screen and reboot. In AC the game itself would hang with corrupted graphics after a few minutes. I lowered the memory clock by 10MHz, and it fixed the issues I had with both games.

Understandable, but in my case, if I raise the memory 20mhz from stock it will artifact in 3Dmark, but a raise of 75mhz and no artifacts in TF2 what so ever. I guess its the same concept just on a larger scale. I am content with the decent OC on the core, I just figured I would give it a shot to see what it can do and I guess thats not much.
 
hmm i checked my clock settings and realized they somehow reset to stock
since I dont see any performance difference on any games I play, Im just going to keep them stock until there's something that I need extra performance.
 
hmm i checked my clock settings and realized they somehow reset to stock
since I dont see any performance difference on any games I play, Im just going to keep them stock until there's something that I need extra performance.

If you used NVtune, you have to go to adjust custom rules and tell it to load the profile with your OC settings.
 
Back
Top