9600 xt to 9800 pro?

blacklimo03

Weaksauce
Joined
Jan 13, 2004
Messages
78
Currently, I have the rig that is in my sig. I plan to play Doom 3 and Half-Life 2 with this setup. I was just curious if I should jump on the deal at Best Buy for the $180 9800 Pro? If I do so, any clue how long the 9800 Pro will last with min. resolutions of 1024X768? Thanks for your help.
-Matt
 
i would. but then again that's just me.

i personally would instead make the leap to at least 6800gt (coming from an ATI owner). but only because you'd see a larger gain. like say from 9600 ---> 9800 would be a roughly 20% gain. while to 6800gt it could be as much as 100 to 200% gain. but that's just an example.
 
In my sig you will see my 9800se type2 is at 9800 pro stock speeds.

Contrary to popular belief not all 9800se's are worst than a 9600pro, the 9800se type 1 runs at ~300/~300 (4 pipeline design, and 128 bit ram bus) which is horrible... Now the 9800se type2 is comparable to the 9600xt (the type 2 is ~300/~300 with 4 pipeline design but with 256 bit ram bus interface) Which is just at the 9600xt speeds (lower core and more ram b/w, kind of evening out and centering on 9600xt speeds). I did 3dmark on both my stock 9800se (which is basically a 9600xt) and then on the modded 9800se to 9800 + OCed to 9800pro speeds... IMO it was a huge improvement, 20% is kind of a low estimate, my fps count went up betweent 20 and 60% depending on which game/benchmark I was running in which area of the apps. I'd do it, but if I were you I'd try for a x800 or a 6800 as the guy above said, better to buy newer, instead of wasting your money, double the cash and get near-top of the line.

~Adam
 
Back
Top