9600 in the wild

Modred189

Can't Read the OP
So my BestBuy has the BFG 9600 GT OC on the shelf for $229.99
Seems a little expensive given the price points of the 8800gt's ($279)
I will see if I can get more info tomorrow as fart as specific specs etc.

Come on [H], where's the review? They are usually posted FAR before the B&M stores get theirs...

Come on [H], where's the review? They are usually posted FAR before the B&M stores get theirs...
Hard doesnt post a review until the cards are officially released

How good is the 9600 supposed to be?
google as there are already a few reviews. there are also a couple of threads on here about it. its the 9600 so it replaces the 8600. its about 80% as fast as the 8800gt but uses just as much power and makes more noise according to tweaktown so it looks a like a flop to me.

google as there are already a few reviews. there are also a couple of threads on here about it. its the 9600 so it replaces the 8600. its about 80% as fast as the 8800gt but uses just as much power and makes more noise according to tweaktown so it looks a like a flop to me.

I heard the same thing. Maybe ATI/AMD will have chance now. ;)

AFAIK, the 9600GT was to sit between the HD3850 and 8800GT in performance.

Did you bother to look at the charts? It's the difference between a few decibels... you're kidding when you imply it's too loud right?

And it barely consumes any more power than 3870 at idle.. and actually less under load.

"it’s a little louder on paper, though really we can’t hear much difference between the other cards on offer here. "

Besides.. as long as they measure that noise from 2cm from fan..it doesn't tell much about what will be noise level from realistic distance

Did you bother to look at the charts? It's the difference between a few decibels... you're kidding when you imply it's too loud right?

And it barely consumes any more power than 3870 at idle.. and actually less under load.
There was nothing I said that was incorrect. One of the things I hate about these forums is that I can state a clear fact and someone will still argue about it. It is louder and it does consume the same amount of power under load as the 8800gt. The noise probably wont be an issue but the power supply requirements will likely be the same as the 8800gt so to me that kills it for a midrange card. One of the benefits of the midrange card was being able to put it in oem box like my HP and not have to buy a power supply. Well it seems those days are over.

There was nothing I said that was incorrect. One of the things I hate about these forums is that I can state a clear fact and someone will still argue about it. It is louder and it does consume the same amount of power under load as the 8800gt. The noise probably wont be an issue but the power supply requirements will likely be the same as the 8800gt so to me that kills it for a midrange card. One of the benefits of the midrange card was being able to put it in oem box like my HP and not have to buy a power supply. Well it seems those days are over.

Wow you're clueless. That's what happens when you make assertions on trivial differences between cards, you get corrected and brought back into the realm of reality.

It's like saying "gee I see in randomreviewer.com's review they get .5fps more on card x, so I'm going to buy it" when it's well known that there is always a margin of error that is within a few percentage points.

Even if their testing is deadly accurate/precise, you couldn't tell the difference between 62 and 71 dB. Even so, you stated the fact that you wanted to see, as the card is clearly only drawing more power when running at idle, under load they say it draws less.

Basically it's just a matter of you bringing up moot or trivial points.

Wow you're clueless. That's what happens when you make assertions on trivial differences between cards, you get corrected and brought back into the realm of reality.

It's like saying "gee I see in randomreviewer.com's review they get .5fps more on card x, so I'm going to buy it" when it's well known that there is always a margin of error that is within a few percentage points.

Even if their testing is deadly accurate/precise, you couldn't tell the difference between 62 and 71 dB. Even so, you stated the fact that you wanted to see, as the card is clearly only drawing more power when running at idle, under load they say it draws less.
way to go smartass. perhaps you should check your facts next time. the 9600gt uses the same amount of power(1 watt difference) under load as the 8800gt just like I fucking said. its also louder under load just like a fucking said. I didnt say ANYTHING incorrect according to that article. :rolleyes:

That is going to be paying WAY too much for that card considering you can get 8800GT cheaper...

We will post the evaluation when the embargo date is here.

And both you guys are banned for a week. I think you need time to cool off.

way to go smartass. perhaps you should check your facts next time. the 9600gt uses the same amount of power under as the 8800gt just like I fucking said. its also is louder under load just like a fucking said. I didnt say ANYTHING incorrect according to that article. :rolleyes:

Wow, way to rely on an obviously bogus measurement. You really believe it is louder at idle than under load? lmfao.

Even if their testing is deadly accurate/precise, you couldn't tell the difference between 62 and 71 dB.

Actually, dB ratings are on a log scale, so 70 dB is about twice as loud as 60 dB. This IS noticable. Of course, this does depend on range. Whether the two measurements were taken under the exact same circumstances is unclear.

People cried about wanting better midrange cards & they gave you one. Stop whining about the noise & deal with it =). Slap a third party HSF on it & all it the day. The price will be under $200 before you know it. It's just hitting shelfs so it will have those inflated prices for now.

-DarkLegacy

boy some of those guys get really angry about interpretation of published specs of a not very important mid range video card.

Stats from the box:
Core: 675 mhz vs 650 stock
Shaders: 1700mhz, vs 1620
Sp's64
Mem int: 256

Actually, dB ratings are on a log scale, so 70 dB is about twice as loud as 60 dB. This IS noticable. Of course, this does depend on range. Whether the two measurements were taken under the exact same circumstances is unclear.

Actually 3dB = double the sound. So 71dB is about 8 times louder than 62dB - aka, extremely noticeable ;)

Actually 3dB = double the sound. So 71dB is about 8 times louder than 62dB - aka, extremely noticeable ;)
3dB difference means double the sound
10dB difference means that human ear hears it as sound level doubling

3dB difference means double the sound
10dB difference means that human ear hears it as sound level doubling

Exactly. "Doubling the sound" equates to a 3dba increase. IE, 2 20dba fans will run at 23dba. This doubles the sound's acoustic power, not the apparent loudness of the sound.

A delta of 3dba is the smallest change that the human ear can perceive. It does NOT mean a doubling of the apparent "loudness".

A 10dba increase in noise level equates a doubling of apparent loudness.

Doubling the distance from the object will reduce it's apparent loudness by a square.

Exactly. "Doubling the sound" equates to a 3dba increase. IE, 2 20dba fans will run at 23dba. This doubles the sound's acoustic power, not the apparent loudness of the sound.

A delta of 3dba is the smallest change that the human ear can perceive. It does NOT mean a doubling of the apparent "loudness".

10dba increase in noise level equates a doubling of apparent loudness.

Doubling the distance from the object will reduce it's apparent loudness by a square.

That's a mild generalization, but what is said here is true. I can easily perceive a <2 db difference in two sounds, but my ears (whether fortunate or unfortunate) are apparently far more sensitive than most. A difference of 8db to me would be like Yanni unplugged vs. Megadeth

70dB is about how loud the infamous FX5800 Ultra was, I find it hard to believe that the 9600GT would be that loud.

70dB is about how loud the infamous FX5800 Ultra was, I find it hard to believe that the 9600GT would be that loud.

RAWR! It better not be!

That thing was a turbine engine! ;)

"Isn't this flight simulator game realistic! It sounds just like a jet taking off!"

"Hey... did you know your speakers aren't on..."

"... :eek:"

boy some of those guys get really angry about interpretation of published specs of a not very important mid range video card.

Well, if it will be similary prices to the 3850s then it will be "a bit" more important. Me thinks.

RAWR! It better not be!

That thing was a turbine engine! ;)

"Isn't this flight simulator game realistic! It sounds just like a jet taking off!"

"Hey... did you know your speakers aren't on..."

"... :eek:"

:p

Back