9590 and Windows 10 'stuttering' issue while gaming

Colonel Sanders

Supreme [H]ardness
A while back I built a gaming PC for a friend of mine with the following:

AMD 9590
Corsair H110i with a couple of nice Cougar fans
Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z (has latest BIOS)
G.skill 16gb DDR3 2400 C10
EVGA GTX 1070 FTW
1tb SSD

She had been running Windows 7 with no issues since I built it. Recently she wanted to reformat so I suggested she try Windows 10, which we did. I did the install and everything, and it seemed to go just fine. However she has been running into this issue in games (happens in Mass Effect, Skyrim, and others) where every minute or two, the game pauses/stutters with a looping ('buzzing') sound for a second or two, then the game continues.

Nothing is overclocked at all and I've been through the BIOS settings several times. CPU temps are excellent for a 9590, hitting 64c or so in the most intense games. GPU temps peaked at about 68c from what I saw, also pretty normal.

I've also tried uninstalling Geforce Experience and turning off the 'Xbox DVR' feature.

Anyone have any ideas? TIA!

Try with the high performance mode power plan.. but generally "Buzzing" sound tend to be related to hard drive busy and/or vRAM.. check in task manager if Disk usage is at 100% usage at those moments stutter happens..

Also 64C degrees is really hot for that CPU. I try to keep my AMD rigs below 60C even OC'd, so a more aggresive fan curve may be needed as that cooler should be able to handle it with no other issue.

A while back I built a gaming PC for a friend of mine with the following:

AMD 9590
Corsair H110i with a couple of nice Cougar fans
Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z (has latest BIOS)
G.skill 16gb DDR3 2400 C10
EVGA GTX 1070 FTW
1tb SSD

She had been running Windows 7 with no issues since I built it. Recently she wanted to reformat so I suggested she try Windows 10, which we did. I did the install and everything, and it seemed to go just fine. However she has been running into this issue in games (happens in Mass Effect, Skyrim, and others) where every minute or two, the game pauses/stutters with a looping ('buzzing') sound for a second or two, then the game continues.

Nothing is overclocked at all and I've been through the BIOS settings several times. CPU temps are excellent for a 9590, hitting 64c or so in the most intense games. GPU temps peaked at about 68c from what I saw, also pretty normal.

I've also tried uninstalling Geforce Experience and turning off the 'Xbox DVR' feature.

Anyone have any ideas? TIA!

What he said above is a good idea. Also, although that is not a Ryzen build, that is still one really good computer built for your friend there. By the way, I have tried resetting the bios? I doubt it would help but also, I just thought, a new sata cable or a physical cleaning might help?

yeah i agree you need to cool it a bit better. you want to keep it around 60c, it throttles at 68-70c. bumping the fan curve a bit should do it.
also, try disabling game mode. I had stuttering on the system I'm on now until I turned it off(dvr was already off).

Hmm. I have the fan control completely disabled at the moment, which AFAIK is the fastest you can run them? If I turn on the 'fan control' features then it just throttles them down even more.

youll need to play with corsair link and setup a custom profile with a custom fan curve. I normally base it on the pump temp so the fans don't ramp up and down constantly. also make sure the pump is in performance mode.

Back