955 Overclock

Rawr12345

n00b
I haven't been able ot break the 4.0 Barrier yet.... I can get it stable at 3.975 but i can't get it the extra 25mhz.... Voltage is at 1.4 multiplier is at 19.5... Raise either alil bit and it won't even start up and I have to basically rebuild my computer (hardware wise) Replug in stuff you know... Annoying stuff. Last time I tried this i actually had to revert to my old AMD 6000+ so Bios would reset and comp would start up. My mobo doens't really like the processor even though it says it's supposed to work.

I have a AsRock 790GXH/128m AM2+ mobo.

any Tips?

raise your voltage. You can go up to 1.5/1.55, as long as your temperature is under control.

next time the overclock fails.. just pull the cmos battery and unplug the psu.. wait 30-40 seconds.. plug the cmos battery back in.. should work fine and smoove910 is correct.. you are no where near the max for voltage.. the phenom II's do not suffer the pathetic 1.4v limiting that the intel 45nm's did..

also are you using the latest bios?

He did say that raising the voltage or the multiplier causes an issue, so I don't think raising the voltage is going to work... you know, because of that issue it causes, the issue being that it won't post (at least, by "it won't even start up and I have to basically rebuild my computer" I think he means it won't post).

Latest BIOS? Well-built PSU? Slightly loosened memory timings and slightly boosted memory voltage? Can you get the ref. clock up a bit? Decent cooling? Using the AMD overdrive utility?

Asrock makes a generally good product, that board *should* be stable beyond 1.4v. My X3 720 doesn't flinch at 1.5v, nor does my motherboard, and I haven't even given the memory any slack but I've had the 720 stable up to 3.76GhZ on air with a so-so PSU. So if you've got a nice (and stable) PSU and nice cooling, I don't see any reason for not hitting 4GhZ with that 955.

jack up the voltage and hit the FSB until it gets to 60*C and if you cannot get it prime stable with 1.55v or under 60*C than you need to get better cooling or be content with the OC you have.

you are running a huge divder on your RAM so make sure it is not limiting your OC... right?

and you have tested your max FSB of the motherboard by dropping the CPU multi and raising the FSB to like 300+ to make sure it is stable when OCing right?

what is your voltage droop when fully loaded? is it a highend PSU?

Back