940 bus overclocking

woppy1

Weaksauce
i have now tried overclocking via the bus and via multi and i have for it overclocking via the bus gets the best results im sitting @3.8ghz @1.52v and these are the diffrences i have found
3dmark vantage bus score P10130
3dmark vantage multi score P9150
3dmark 06 bus 16523
3dmark 06 multi 15595

your scores should be higher since with bus speed you are also overclocking your memory.. now the question is are you actually overclocking the ram or leaving it as close to the stock speed as possible..

in the long run if you have insanely good overclocking ram.. then FSB+multiplier overclocking is the best.. but if you dont, having the ability to only have to do multiplier overclocking is a great benefit..

if ya really want to see if the fsb vs multi only overclocking makes a difference in just cpu performance.. try running cinbench10.. that should be a lot more cpu dependent then 3dmark..

if you can call ten mhz that much diffrence multi my ram was @500 and bus my ram is @510 so not that much diffrence

if you can call ten mhz that much diffrence multi my ram was @500 and bus my ram is @510 so not that much diffrence

not bad then.. were you leaving the HT @ 1.8ghz or did you overclock that as well? just wondering.. trying to see where the extra points came from..

Isn't your HT able to go up to 2.2-2.4ghz area? I could be mistaken, but I thought 2200 mhz HT was the norm for these procs.

thats the thing i cant quite get when i overclock via the bus i can get my ht up to 2.4-2.4ghz but when i overclock via the multi no matter what i set in the bios cpuz always shows it as 2ghz

it really depends on the motherboard and what it supports.. if the board supports 2ghz then by default it will run 2ghz.. if it doesnt support it by default then 1.8ghz is what its set at even though the board may allow you to overclock the HT to 2ghz or higher.. my board by default is 1.6ghz and i cant go any higher then that.. this bios version is screwed up but its the only one that allows me to use a 940 on this board..

smoove the HT normal for processor are:
920-940:1.8ghz
945-955 2.0ghz
720 2.0ghz

easier way is that am2+ is 1.8ghz am3 is 2ghz and soon enough am3 will be 2.5ghz or something.. cant remember what the next upgrade number is..

<--- running my 720 @2200mhz.... on a mATX board. I would think a normal ATX board would allow for high HT clocks, but who knows

at the min which im happy with im @
257x15 for [email protected]
HT Link 2313mhz
NB Freq 2313mhz
Memorry 514mhz

nice..

smoove910.. matx compared to atx doesnt matter.. they use the same chipsets.. HT speed refers to the link speed between the processor and the chipset.. the northbridge speed is within the chip its self since AMD uses an IMC.. in the end it just depends on the bios limits and what the chipset/processor is capable of handling..

Back