(after you stop laughing at my terrible videocard
)
Just went out and bought Final Fantasy XI, and after doing all the installing and running through everything and creating a character, when I attempt to get into the actual game world, I am greeted with nothing more than a black screen, my cursor, and the background music. Numerous attempts to monkey with the video settings have done nothing, and I'm getting frustrated. Especially since I can get the benchmark program working fine.
After searching through several other forums, it appears that one possible solution would be to install the Catalyst 3.1 drivers (I'm currently using 3.10) and try to go from there, so I downloaded the 3.1 executable, but when I try and extract it (after uninstalling all the previous driver files), the installer crashes with a "Severe!: INF Error Video Driver Not Found" error message, followed by a "Severe!: Setup was unable to complete the installation. Try to setup your display adapter with a standard VGA driver before running setup."
If I simply uninstall the driver, then restart the computer, Windows makes an attempt to install a "Video Controller (VGA Compatible)" driver, but is unable to find a version of a driver for it, and the driver installation fails.
So, um, there's the whole nature of the problem. Any help whatsoever would be greatly, greatly appreciated.
Computer Specs:
Intel Pentium 4 1.8 GHz
1.00 GB of RAM
Windows XP Professional Service Pack 1
ATI RADEON 9200SE PCI (Catalyst 3.10 driver)
~10 GB free of HDD space
Just went out and bought Final Fantasy XI, and after doing all the installing and running through everything and creating a character, when I attempt to get into the actual game world, I am greeted with nothing more than a black screen, my cursor, and the background music. Numerous attempts to monkey with the video settings have done nothing, and I'm getting frustrated. Especially since I can get the benchmark program working fine.
After searching through several other forums, it appears that one possible solution would be to install the Catalyst 3.1 drivers (I'm currently using 3.10) and try to go from there, so I downloaded the 3.1 executable, but when I try and extract it (after uninstalling all the previous driver files), the installer crashes with a "Severe!: INF Error Video Driver Not Found" error message, followed by a "Severe!: Setup was unable to complete the installation. Try to setup your display adapter with a standard VGA driver before running setup."
If I simply uninstall the driver, then restart the computer, Windows makes an attempt to install a "Video Controller (VGA Compatible)" driver, but is unable to find a version of a driver for it, and the driver installation fails.
So, um, there's the whole nature of the problem. Any help whatsoever would be greatly, greatly appreciated.
Computer Specs:
Intel Pentium 4 1.8 GHz
1.00 GB of RAM
Windows XP Professional Service Pack 1
ATI RADEON 9200SE PCI (Catalyst 3.10 driver)
~10 GB free of HDD space