• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

920 + CM v10 = HOT

goblox

n00b
Joined
Oct 31, 2009
Messages
3
I guess my main question is; where are everyone's temps coming from. I see lots of reviews that might say "core temperature" but don't actually say what program their numbers are from.

Anyone else with the 920 note that Speedfan reads the core temps way lower than HWMonitor/Coretemp/TrueTemp? I've seen lots of screenshots that just show the "CPU" number from the DFI Lanparty utility. That reads reads about 30c lower than the HWMonitor Number on my setup and as far as I can tell it's just a thermistor on the motherboard.

I've reseated this v10 probably 6 times; I've tried spreading Arctic Silver, The Line Method (per A.S. instructions). Even at just 1.25v (3.8ghz) I can still push to 100c at 100% Utilization in a cool room. It has never become unstable; I've always stopped Prime95 in the 90s but I've let it spend a lot of time in the mid 90s.

I'm just wondering if the numbers coming out of CoreTemp/HWMonitor Ect are reliable? If I was going by Lanparty or Speedfan I suppose I would think everything was just fine. When my gtx275 is running 90c the air coming out will just about burn you but air coming out of the v10 is pretty much luke warm; It sure seems like it's an issue with the CPU/Heatsink junction.

I set the CPU on top of the heatsink once and tried to look between them and I was able to see a tiny tiny sliver of daylight; I wonder if I should lap this thing; like the base is concave - or the cpu is? It's got a mirror finish so I hesitate to do anything to it. Neither the cpu or heatsink have any blemishes at all.

Sorry; just kind of bummed out; I ran it at 4.2ghz out of the box but I've been progressively lowering clocks and vcore to try and get temperature under control and it just seems like BS considering the v10 is beating out every other aircooled solution on the market according to every review I've seen.
 
Sorry; just kind of bummed out; I ran it at 4.2ghz out of the box but I've been progressively lowering clocks and vcore to try and get temperature under control and it just seems like BS considering the v10 is beating out every other aircooled solution on the market according to every review I've seen.

Don't know what reviews you've read but the top few that I know of are TRUE, Megahalems and Cogage True Spirit. I love Coolermaster Cases but their coolers are meh.
 
@OP

Remember that a TEC's cold side is only as good as ability for the hot side to remove heat.

In a closed case you may not be removing enough heat for the TEC to be working properly on the V10.

The V10 is not a popular solution, because of its size and inconsistency. The TEC also adds a heat source to the mix and most likely the beast isn't contacting with your core properly. Trying laying your case flat on its side and see if the temps improve, if they do you've got mounting issues.
 
Ya my V10 is the same way, at 3.8Ghz 1.3vcore (LL) Priming all 8 threads it can get upwards of 95c. I remounted it multiple times also. The good thing is normal use is nowhere near as taxing and it hardly ever breaks 60c.
 
http://www.legitreviews.com/article/926/4/

http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/cm_v10/4.htm

http://www.insidehw.com/Reviews/Cooling/Cooler-Master-V10/Page-3.html

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/foru...1-cooler-master-v10-cpu-cooler-review-14.html

In the canucks review they didn't put it on anything that could really utilize the TEC but, obviously with the TEC at 100% the cooling capacity is clear

You'll notice that often the Noctua and TRUE beat it out at lower voltage/clocks as the TEC isn't at 100% until 70c. But anyway... there are a lot more benchmarks out there; I've yet to see it beaten on anything pushing more than 130watts.

As for my case; it's a Cooler Master Storm Sniper Black and I highly doubt it's an airflow issue; think I mentioned there just isn't that much hot air coming out of the heat sink; a little warm. Something has to be wrong I'm just not sure what; I guess I'll probably lapp it.
 
Ya my V10 is the same way, at 3.8Ghz 1.3vcore (LL) Priming all 8 threads it can get upwards of 95c. I remounted it multiple times also. The good thing is normal use is nowhere near as taxing and it hardly ever breaks 60c.

i7 920 overclocked can get pretty hot with synthetic tests.

i am currently using a real budget cooler - Hyper N212 - and added a second120 mm fan to keep it below 90C (fully stressed) at 3.5 GHz (with turbo, it clocks +170 MHz higher with the 21x multi).

i have found that if you just game, you will never see temps that high. But when you get the synthetics testing all 4 cores under 100% load, it can go way high. i stopped trying to go above 3.8 GHz (turbo 'standard' enabled) until my new Noctua HSF arrives because i was seeing 87C even in some games.

Amazingly, i am getting all of this at stock voltage
:cool:
 
Core Temp and RealTemp are two of the few programs that are reading TJMax from these new CPUs correctly and are reading all 4 cores and are able to report your core temperature correctly. I have no idea what Speed Fan is doing but it is wrong.

http://www.fileden.com/files/2008/3/3/1794507/RealTempBeta.zip

Some other very popular programs, no names mentioned to protect the guilty, are only reading 4 threads of these CPUs and are reporting that as the temperature for all 4 cores. If it's reading 4 threads then it's only reading 2 of your 4 cores and there's no way to tell what 2 of your 4 cores it's actually reading.
 
Well I had intended to report that something was most certainly wrong with my v10 because I put the reference intel heatsink on and got the same temperatures or better. What I found was that at 3.8ghz and 1.23v I could actually only run the CPU at 50% and even then I was at 90c. So I guess the v10 is doing something. Still, there are plenty of people pushing some serious voltage with this and the TRUE/Noctua. Way more than my paltry 1.230v.

With vcore set to auto (1.2v) and at 2.66ghz I am still running about 79-80c with the stock cooler at 100% prim95 load.
 
by any chance you get your temps down? I have intel x58so with v10, my temps on full load go very high +75, but i idle very low ~36.
 
As others said earlier, a TEC pulls the heat off the chip side and moves it to the heatsink side. The problem is that it adds heat to the equation while doing that so it creates more work for your heatsink to do. The Megahelms and Trues add no heat so they are more efficient at the max loads, even though I often read of folks running multiple hour tests with the temps in the 90's. Too hot for me.
 
The Megahelms and Trues add no heat so they are more efficient at the max loads, even though I often read of folks running multiple hour tests with the temps in the 90's. Too hot for me.

Agreed and given the probability of FAIL in switching heatsinks or having a 1 kilogram cooler hanging off my board and warping circuits, watercooling is a nice option for the OP. Don't get me wrong, aircooled is fine, but if you want to hit holy grail numbers and keep your proc cool, it doesn't hurt.

Given the efficiency of current exposed heatpipe coolers, I see the V10 as just sucking up unnecessary juice from the PSU. It's like adding another videocard to the mix. Food for thought...

:D
 
Last edited:
a TEC should be able to get you low temps but only if you can keep the hot side cooled
if the heatsink on the hotside can get rid of the heat from the TEC you might as well not have it
 
I have a W3540 (basically a 940), and I am running 43-46C at idle and 80-82C at Prime95 load with a True 120 Extreme 1366 @ 1.28 vcore. I purchased a 1900 rpm Scythe S-Flex to replace the 1600 S-Flex that is on my True 120. Hopefully that will bring me below 80C at load. I don't have a push/pull set-up right now, just a push. But that might be my next step. My case (Antec 300) has great airflow.

I was feeling uncomfortable with my temps until I read your post! I guess I am used to a Core2Duo (E8600) that never went above 58C. I start to squirm when I see 80C+.
 
Try laying the case on its side and see if the weight of the cooler is pulling away from the Cpu, so you get higher temperatures.
 
Back
Top