$919 shipped Samsung LNS3241D 32" Wide LCD

Josh Hazel

Limp Gawd
Free shipping, $919 shipped... this is the best deal on Pricegrabber also (except with pricegrabber you have to purchase at crappy unknown companies). TV has built in HD-Tuner, ATSC tuner build in. 1080i 720p 3000:1 contrast ratio as well as pc input RGB. This is probably the best TV (LCD that is) for under $1000, as it has the most features and name brand.

Samsung TV

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
not bad...I might be all over it if it was 1080p...thanks for the heads up though...

bladeiai said:
they are nice tvs I'm posting using one right now I got for xmas :D

Pictures...

I like these TVs be carefull of shipping though, I've read a lot of good / bad experiences. Probably not an issue with a smaller TV.

Samsung makes the best looking (picture) tv's period.

My opinion of course. There are a couple that look almost as good/just as good on the huge wall at best buy, but they're more expensive.

Yeah, Im going to check it all around when I receive it from the shipping company to make sure they didnt damage it. Mainly the screen is my concern with shipping. Though it is from amazon, they did say they accept returns on tvs over 20" unlike all the other online stores.

Timbowens said:
Samsung makes the best looking (picture) tv's period.

My opinion of course. There are a couple that look almost as good/just as good on the huge wall at best buy, but they're more expensive.

Never go by what you see set up in a store. Half of them are hooked up wrong, and none of them are calibrated at all.

The samsung models look the best in the stores, besides the LG which is a little more expensive. All around though I think this is a pretty good model.

himmy said:
Never go by what you see set up in a store. Half of them are hooked up wrong, and none of them are calibrated at all.

Well, if they are that much better "hooked up wrong", and "not calibrated" then they will still look better when all is said and done.

here are some pictures of mine hooked up as a pc monitor:

DSC03342.JPG

DSC03344.JPG

DSC03345.JPG

DSC03346.JPG

DSC03348.JPG

sorry if the camera picture quality is not so good

bladeiai said:
they are nice tvs I'm posting using one right now I got for xmas :D

Nice pics. How is the over all quaility...any thing negative at all? How is TV and DVD viewing on it?

We just bought an upgrade of this for our parents (LN-S3292D). It is a pretty sweet, but we're only running standard cable (not HD) and haven't gotten component cables for the DVD player to the TV yet. TV. However, Samsung's customer service sucks. We got 1 defective screw (for attaching the monitor to the TV stand) and they're giving us the run around. :mad: We'll probably get a replacement screw from Home Depot.

LiquidX said:
Nice pics. How is the over all quaility...any thing negative at all? How is TV and DVD viewing on it?

I've only been using it for a few days, and havent found anything wrong with it yet, hd quality is good, dvd playback is good, no complaints so far

... and it makes a cool sound when you turn it on and off :D

bladeiai thanks for the pics, its reassuring cuz i purchased this on the 25th. Did you connect via RGB?

i bought the same set but the 40"er, it literally died after a week! the backlight started to crackle and buzz then went out, could still hear audio, now we have to return it.. while it worked it was pretty nice, lots of fun on the 360 as well

Sounds like you got a defective model, hope its not a trend. I hear about a lot of LCD's (large) being defective on arrival, though not any one specific brand.

umcpgrad said:
no tuner of any
kind

For most people that shouldn't be an issue. Satellite and Comcast digital cable comes with a box so you wouldn't use a tuner. HD-Air signals aren't available everywhere.

Originally Posted by yevaud Yeah. I don't understand why anyone is jumping on this when you can get a 37" 1080P monitor for about $18 bucks more.

The Samsung is 3000:1 contrast ratio compared to Westinghouse 1000:1. The Samsung has built in HDTV and ASTC tuner and the Westinghouse does not. You get what you pay for. Samsung is one of the leaders in LCD television next to LG. Also, 37" is harder to double as a PC screen as its too large when your close up =P a 32" is ideal.

Im not saying the Westinghouse is a bad deal at all. It is a decent price for what your getting, the 1080p is a great feature.

Most local television stations now broadcast in HD alongside analog. However Analog will be gone in the next 2 years....

Quote from Wiki: In early 2006 the Deficit Reduction Act of 2005[4] became law, which calls for over-the-air television stations to cease their analog broadcasts by 2009-02-17

Josh Hazel said:
Also, 37" is harder to double as a PC screen as its too large when your close up =P a 32" is ideal.

The problem I have with the samsung as a computer monitor is that the resolution is too low for me. At 32" it has the less resolution then most 19" Widescreen LCDs. The westinghouse has the resolution of a 24" Wide screen LCD. Yes the Westinghouse is larger, so you should sit back farther, but the Samsung has such low resolution that you should also sit back father for optimal viewing.

The Westinghouse is only 5" larger and has twice the number of pixels as the Samsung. (2,304,000 vs 1,049,088)

viewingdistance.gif

Based on that chart and using simple math you should be sitting 5.9ft (+/- .1) away from a 32" 720p TV like the Samsung, versus 4.8 for the Westinghouse.

And its not like you can't buy a HDTV tuner if you need it.

And its not like you can't buy a HDTV tuner if you need it.

I wonder how much the HDTV tuner is? it would definatley increase that price yevaud was talking about ($18 increase). I tried searching they are hard to find, though the ones i did see were $100-$200.

Josh Hazel said:
bladeiai thanks for the pics, its reassuring cuz i purchased this on the 25th. Did you connect via RGB?

I have it hooked up thru vga, and as for the viewing distance, I sit about 4 feet aways and dont notice that resolution much, but maybe that just me...

How does the text look on the screen? I heard that LCD televisions make it difficult to read text? Im wondering if I should use the tv as my perm monitor, or if I should use a KVM switch.

Josh Hazel said:
The Samsung is 3000:1 contrast ratio compared to Westinghouse 1000:1. The Samsung has built in HDTV and ASTC tuner and the Westinghouse does not. You get what you pay for. Samsung is one of the leaders in LCD television next to LG. Also, 37" is harder to double as a PC screen as its too large when your close up =P a 32" is ideal.

Im not saying the Westinghouse is a bad deal at all. It is a decent price for what your getting, the 1080p is a great feature.

Well, dubious published contrast ratios aside, the 37" westy is perfect for a computer monitor. Don't understand the "you get what you pay for" remark, though. Getting double the number of pixels, and native resolution for both next gen formats for ~20 bucks more seems like a better deal to me. 32" monitors of this resolution (with HDTV/ASTC tuners included) can be had at Wal Mart for less than 600 before tax.

To each his own, though.

As far as text, you'll need to run the PC output at exactly 1366X768 resolution in order to get a 1:1 pixel mapping. I don't know how the overscan works on the LNS3241D, but you want NO overscan for a blur-free image. This is another feature the 37" westy has on input DVI1.

Josh Hazel said:
How does the text look on the screen? I heard that LCD televisions make it difficult to read text? Im wondering if I should use the tv as my perm monitor, or if I should use a KVM switch.

I am using mine as a perm monitor, I think the text is very clear and easy to read, here are some pics at native res(1360X768 altho actual native res is 1366X768 but videocard only supports 1360X768)

about 3-4inches away from screen
DSC03350.JPG

5-6 inches away from screen
DSC03354.JPG

hope this helps everyone

you all think I should go for this?

btw I have a 26'' hdlcd sony brevia xbr

I am only 3 feet away
is that ok?

whats the "ideal" distance away?

so this tv is it comparable to my sony?

I am using the sony as my monitor

and samsung as my tv..

Thanks for the pics, just what I wanted to see! I ordered mine on December 25, 2006, it looks like it shipped from OH. It is being delivered by Eagle USA, white glove treatment =P Looking forward to getting it, hopefully this week as it is marked 5 day shipping.

umcpgrad said:
you all think I should go for this?

btw I have a 26'' hdlcd sony brevia xbr

I am only 3 feet away
is that ok?

whats the "ideal" distance away?

so this tv is it comparable to my sony?

I am using the sony as my monitor

and samsung as my tv..
The optimal viewing distance is a distance such that a 30-degree viewing angle can be obtained.

original post: umcpgrad Gawd you all think I should go for this?

I did! No regrets, after months of searching this is the television I chose to double as a PC monitor. For quality, name brand, price, and connections. My shipment is scheduled within a 4-hr window on Thursday (2 days).

Just picked up this Sammy over the weekend at Best Buy and got them to PM Fry's for $949. No shipping, can return to B&M, and 60 day price match guarantee.

I am really happy with this as a TV, I did a lot of research and this seems to be of of the best performers for under $1000 when taking all specs into consideration such as brightness, outputs, refresh rate, etc.

FYI on the PM - I had to go to two Best Buy stores and ultimately work through the store manager, but I got the deal, YMMV.

Back