915/925X Chipsets = No Dual Core Processor Support

The Doc

[H]ard|Gawd
The 915/925X chipsets will not be able to use dual core processors. With that been said, there was no mention of whether or not the 925XE chipset will feature support for dual core processors.

Dual Core Processor Support (Chipset)

915 = No
925X = No
925XE = ?

I heard the 925XE chipset will support dual core processors; however others can dispute that fact.

I assume the 945/955 chipsets will be released Q2 2005 along with the 8xx series processors.

That's what was said, yes. I'm just getting impatient myself, waiting for the damn things. The 600 series of processors will be out at the end of this month, though (non-dual core - new prescotts)

I won't be getting the first series of Dual-core because hyperthreading is disabled on the chip. Besides, it's not always the best idea to get any company's "first" chip of its kind.

I'll get a 955 board, stick a 600 series prescott in there for a year, and when the Dual Core extreme edition comes out, and drops in price, I'll throw it in :D

yep, im not gonna get smithfield, i'll just wait for pressler. but i dont know what to hold me until then...an A64 3000+ or a P4 640

steviep said:
That's what was said, yes. I'm just getting impatient myself, waiting for the damn things. The 600 series of processors will be out at the end of this month, though (non-dual core - new prescotts)

I won't be getting the first series of Dual-core because hyperthreading is disabled on the chip. Besides, it's not always the best idea to get any company's "first" chip of its kind.

I'll get a 955 board, stick a 600 series prescott in there for a year, and when the Dual Core extreme edition comes out, and drops in price, I'll throw it in :D

Not true. HT will be enabled. Or so Intel's most recent press release says. I too will likely upgrade the motherboard to the 955 chipset and stick my existing 550 in there, overclock the crap out of it and then get a dual core processor as soon as I can afford to after that. Unless of course in games the existing chips show to be better.

Back