$9 DVD-RW from Office Max

Morphx2 said:
Well, I went to my OfficeMax today down the road and checked to see if they had any on the shelves...they didnt :(

So I pulled out the ad that I printed out about it and showed them. They then went in the back and got one for me! YEAH

And then it rang up as 79 dollars + tax! I said no no no! I showed it to them, they got the manager, and vola, they pricematched the ad so it went to 49 dollars.

So if you go to a store like I did, bring a print-out of the online ad, or they wont do it.

Good luck!

This was in Miami, FL
Too bad the rebate is for online orders only.

SO i got mine this week, everything was fine.

I had my job order one since we were talking about getting one anyway.
Got delivered today. It was missing the upc from the box, (cut out with knife) and the contents were in a manilla envelope.

I was more than a little pissed about that.
Someone got the rebate and then returned it. fuckers.

Just to let everyone know. Even though this is back to costing $9, if you can find one at the store as other are, and you get them to pricematch you. The rebate should work.

Requirements for the rebate are:
Original UPC
Store Receipt
Reistration Code from www.mdmm.com

So, I guess it is all of us online shoppers who may be going out on a limb for the rebate, since it doesn't say anything about online rebate here, it specifically states "Store Receipt".

Not that I guess it will be a problem though.

Oh, and the guy who got the drive that was already registered and the UPC sent in, call Office Max, they're usually pretty easy to work with.

Mok said:
..........Requirements for the rebate are:
Original UPC
Store Receipt
Reistration Code from www.mdmm.com

So, I guess it is all of us online shoppers who may be going out on a limb for the rebate, since it doesn't say anything about online rebate here, it specifically states "Store Receipt".

Rebate states, from Officemax.com. So those that bought it instore are screwed and won't get the $40 rebate.

The first line of the TERMS AND CONDITIONS of the rebate is the following:
Offer valid on purchase of MadDog Dominator 6-in-1 4X DVD-RD Drive (SKU #20686204) at Officemax.com.
That pretty clearly states that the rebate is for online orders only.

Guess I didn't read the terms and conditions too clearly, eh?

Hope they don't want my first born or something. :)

But, that terms and conditions clearly contradicts the requirements for the rebate. Sounds like "Lawyer Speak" to me.

Mok said:
But, that terms and conditions clearly contradicts the requirements for the rebate. Sounds like "Lawyer Speak" to me.
Not really. In this case, the store is officemax.com.

when I tried to get the rebate information it said I only get a 15$ rebate... what's up with that?

"Purchase must be must be made between September 5, 2004 - September 11, 2004 in the contiguous United States;"

Nye553 said:
"Purchase must be must be made between September 5, 2004 - September 11, 2004 in the contiguous United States;"

Badger_sly said:
Ah, there are 2 different rebates. The rebate linked on the last link for the burner shows the dates I listed above. However, on OM's site, if you seach for rebate using "DVD" you'll see a rebate for the same burner that goes through 10/14/04. Also, for me the site showed the burner as $40 and the mail in rebate is $40, so FREE!

Search for the rebate, as I wrote before.

I purchased the product that I am submitting a rebate for online and did not receive a receipt. Can I still receive a rebate?
Qualifying purchases made online should have been accompanied by a packing slip. For these purchases, the packing slip may be used as the receipt

I just printed out my email receipt. A lot of places count that if its an online order.

Finally had time to break this thing in with my HTPC, the drive is amazingly quiet and prefetches quite well, basically dead silent during DVD playback. Haven't burned a dvd-r yet, don't plan on it unless needed (when I get the PVR software fully setup i'll use dvd-r to archive old shows)

OldPueblo said:
I just printed out my email receipt. A lot of places count that if its an online order.

That's what i did with mine.
It says officemax reciept right on the top of the sheet so it should work.

my store absolutly refuses to match officemax.com prices. manager is a real jackass.

laserdemon said:
my store absolutly refuses to match officemax.com prices. manager is a real jackass.
Were you trying to pricematch to the after rebate price? I wouldn't pricematch that either. They don't owe you anything.

Were you trying to pricematch to the after rebate price? I wouldn't pricematch that either. They don't owe you anything.

no, they refuse to match any price that different than the instore price. So for example they had a memory key onsale, no rebate, on officemax.com that was 20 bucks cheaper than in the store. This was their policy, but i cant seem to find the info on the website at the moment, maybe they changed that. So you guys getting them to pricematch anything with officemax.com may be getting lucky, becuase they told me that they do not match their own website prices. They refuse to match that price. And your right, they dont owe anyone anything, thats not what i was saying.

Edit: I found it

Because of the efficiency of Internet ordering, OfficeMax.com pricing is exclusive to purchases made at our site and is not valid in OfficeMax retail stores or with phone or fax orders.
ripped from here

So mark yourselves lucky if you get any price match at B&Ms.

To the guy who got his delivered without UPC, I'm the second victim. Are there people in this country that poor they need $40 a couple of months from now, and gotta return the drive????? Also is office max so dam stupid they one, cant check the drives before they accept returns and 2, ship out items without even looking at em? Come on at least pay these guys a few cents above minimum wage so we can get some decent help. I'm at the point I dont even want to leave the house because everyone at any computer store has no idea what the hell they are selling. Oh and to top off the whole experience, I went to the store to buy the drive ( called in first they said they had several in stock ) none in stock 500 in warehouse only expected to get one. I'm ranting, sorry......just at the point I hate people, seems like everyone everywhere is f****** stupid.

Don't they have to scan in the barcode in order to put an item back in stock? Even in a warehouse?

I would /doubt/ you could get away with returning a product with NO UPC code in a brick-and-mortar store. But, there are some pretty persistant and charismic people that could, I'm sure. I am sure there are a few situations where you need to return it without a barcode, broken, bad, whatever, but even so, it shouldn't be re-sold again.

Pretty unethical on both parties here, this just isn't right.

I hope everything works out for you two with these, and anyone who has been screwed like this, as if there are 2, there probably are many more.

How do you go about getting the rebate when you place the order online? Nobody has gotten a rebate in the mail yet have they? If I read correctly then you can't get the rebate in the store, online only? Thanks.

Ihavebadluck said:
How do you go about getting the rebate when you place the order online? Nobody has gotten a rebate in the mail yet have they? If I read correctly then you can't get the rebate in the store, online only? Thanks.

Print the rebate out from their website, then go to MadDog's site and register the drive (input #s from UPC) and it will give you a rebate register #, which you fill out on the rebate form you printed. Then you mail the completed form, receipt, and original UPC from the box.

I sent mine in about a week or two ago.

I purchased mine on 9-14 (the FAR day) but the only rebate form they had was for 9-15
so i filled it out instead. I have a fealing there will be a few phone calls before A: I get my rebate B: I return the drive or C: I call my credit card company.

Mok said:
Don't they have to scan in the barcode in order to put an item back in stock? Even in a warehouse?

I would /doubt/ you could get away with returning a product with NO UPC code in a brick-and-mortar store. But, there are some pretty persistant and charismic people that could, I'm sure. I am sure there are a few situations where you need to return it without a barcode, broken, bad, whatever, but even so, it shouldn't be re-sold again.

Pretty unethical on both parties here, this just isn't right.

I hope everything works out for you two with these, and anyone who has been screwed like this, as if there are 2, there probably are many more.

Yeah, the local officemax was called and they had a guy drive over with a new one for us.
So all is well for me anyway.

I am still amazed that they sent something out like that, missing upc and everything just tossed in a manilla envelope.

_G_ said:
I purchased mine on 9-14 (the FAR day) but the only rebate form they had was for 9-15
so i filled it out instead. I have a fealing there will be a few phone calls before A: I get my rebate B: I return the drive or C: I call my credit card company.

You might have missed it, but it was explained earlier in this thread that to get the correct rebate for when it was on sale for FAR, you had to do a search on their website for all the rebates, then choose the right one that fell within the specific dates.

It might be too late if you sent your stuff in, otherwise you might be able to find the correct rebate.

Badger_sly said:
You might have missed it, but it was explained earlier in this thread that to get the correct rebate for when it was on sale for FAR, you had to do a search on their website for all the rebates, then choose the right one that fell within the specific dates.

It might be too late if you sent your stuff in, otherwise you might be able to find the correct rebate.

Thanks for the heads up, because of this post I made a few more calls to
officemax.com, maxmirebates.com, officemax.com, maxmirebates.com officemax.com
(you get the idea) and found that since the rebate website pulled the rebate I needed
the only way to get it was to send in the wrong one(9-15-04) ,call in when it gets rejected
and "maybe" they would reverse the rejection. I called back om.com and got an RMA
(no fuss and there sending me return shiping lables). maybe if I tried to get the MIR
as soon as I got the drive things would have been ok but i'm lazy :p .
This deal is still on (@9.99 with current rebates) and is still HOTT, maybe i'l try again
once I get credit for the rma

I just checked my online rebate status. They accepted it and are finalizing it.

And thats with buying it IN-store and not online.

So I guess instore worked.

Oh wow, maxmyrebates finally says a check has been issued 1/24/05. Though it still says scheduled for final processing. Hopefully I'll get it in a couple days.

LOL, from the "mymaxrebates" site I've been checking on this one for months now, and it's always said "Processed and ready to be finalized" and dated 10/16/04. Yesturday, I checked it, and it actually had a new line of "Check number 123456" and an issued date of 01/24/05.

So we might actually get this one after, what, 20+ weeks? That's a bit past the 6-8 weeks they said.

I almost dug up this thread yesturday, but didn't get the chance.

yeah, mine was in final processing forever

the check is real cheezy too!

its on like a postcard and has the money amount and everything on it, but it also has your name/address on it too on the front. the back of it says "check id" on it. I at least expected a real check like other rebates and not a postcard check

I had completely forgot about this, thought I already received it and cashed it.... Lucky day for me! So, I just decided to buy the 160gig Maxtor at Staples.... :)

Has anyone else had problems with their drive lately? Mine was working fine, until I yanked it out, then installed Service Pack 2. Now it will not burn faster than 1x (works out to slower than 1x, more like .8x) - Nero reports it burnt at 4x, but to burn a full disk in 55 minutes, certainly isn't 4x!

I think I'm going to put it in another machine, that doesn't have SP1, test it, and then install SP2 to make sure it is Windows screwing with it....

i got my rebate a long time ago.

my drive was burning rather slow now that i think about it.
I've used up all my dvd-r's, so i haven't used it in a month or so.

the machine that it's on is a sp2, so maybe that's it.

I haven't had luck getting firmware updated though.
Anyone else flashed the drive?

Mok said:
I had completely forgot about this, thought I already received it and cashed it.... Lucky day for me! So, I just decided to buy the 160gig Maxtor at Staples.... :)

Has anyone else had problems with their drive lately? Mine was working fine, until I yanked it out, then installed Service Pack 2. Now it will not burn faster than 1x (works out to slower than 1x, more like .8x) - Nero reports it burnt at 4x, but to burn a full disk in 55 minutes, certainly isn't 4x!

I think I'm going to put it in another machine, that doesn't have SP1, test it, and then install SP2 to make sure it is Windows screwing with it....

How long should it take to burn a dvd full at 4X?

This is my first dvd burner, and I'm used to burning cds at 48X, so this did seem slow.

Can't say I remember for sure. But, with my NEC last night I burned around 2.1 gig to a 4x disk, at 4x and the total time was on the order of 6:30 from the time I pressed "burn".

This MadDog drive (Toshiba SD-R5112) I burned something last night on the other machine (after switching, both with SP2) about 1.8gig and it took 23+/- minutes. So, something is certainly wrong. The same machine, pre-SP2 would have been much closer to the NEC drives speed with that media, just a month ago.

Yes, I have flashed the ROM on this drive, using the X031 firmware written by Hijacker (I think i'm giving the right credits....) but basically this just region-free(ed) the drive. I think this is Toshiba's firmware problem with SP2, but someone needs to figure it out.

First of all, 1x cd != 1x dvd! 1x dvd is roughly equal to 9x cd, so 4x dvd = about 36x cd. That's not a very big step down from the 48x you are used to using(since it only actually burns that fast for a small portion of the cd). It's not actually all that much slower, but there is quite a bit more data to burn, so it will take longer. I've found that it takes about 15-20 minutes to burn a full dvd at 4x.

Mok said:
Can't say I remember for sure. But, with my NEC last night I burned around 2.1 gig to a 4x disk, at 4x and the total time was on the order of 6:30 from the time I pressed "burn".

This MadDog drive (Toshiba SD-R5112) I burned something last night on the other machine (after switching, both with SP2) about 1.8gig and it took 23+/- minutes. So, something is certainly wrong. The same machine, pre-SP2 would have been much closer to the NEC drives speed with that media, just a month ago.

Yes, I have flashed the ROM on this drive, using the X031 firmware written by Hijacker (I think i'm giving the right credits....) but basically this just region-free(ed) the drive. I think this is Toshiba's firmware problem with SP2, but someone needs to figure it out.
There is a 1033 firmware out that supports more media. I flashed it last night but I haven't had a chance to try it yet.

Back