$9.99 Case

sounds cool, 16 buck shipping that could be better, and from the looks of it, it may cut the crapola out of you...so be careful

I've got a raid 5 setup that i am waiting to put together, I could use the drive bay space in something like this.

I was all up on this for 16 bucks out the door. Until I realized I would have to get out the dremel to carve the right holes out of the back plate, which doesn't look to be removable. I can't be sure, but judging by the pictures it looks like it's part of the case? Which means it won't fit my spare nforce2 board that is in need of a case...

Can anyone verify?

T

Kahnvex said:
I was all up on this for 16 bucks out the door. Until I realized I would have to get out the dremel to carve the right holes out of the back plate, which doesn't look to be removable. I can't be sure, but judging by the pictures it looks like it's part of the case? Which means it won't fit my spare nforce2 board that is in need of a case...

Can anyone verify?

T

Looking at it, the back plate looks like it's scored so you can pop it off the case. If that is the case, you may want the dremel out just for cleaning up the edges anyway. For the price, I may bite. Not the best of cases, or PSUs, but for less than what I'm going to spend on lunch this afternoon...

As far as overall design (bay layout, frontside USB and audio ports, etc), I've seen a whole lot worse. Just don't go plugging anything you hold near to your heart into that PSU.

I bought a cheap case once for a new system. I was overclocking an amd 1.3 ghz chip. I blew the power supply within 60 minutes. I dont buy cheap cases any more.

malice8691 said:
I bought a cheap case once for a new system. I was overclocking an amd 1.3 ghz chip. I blew the power supply within 60 minutes. I dont buy cheap cases any more.

and I repeat, don't plug anything near to your heart into that PSU. A cheap case is a cheap case... rather harmless unless it manages to colapse while you're running it or something. A cheap PSU is a whole new ballgame. Even with my high end cases, I rarely use the prepackaged PSU, and even then only after tests have been run.

You buy cheap cases for the cheap case not for the PS. For 9.99, you can buy a good PS to go with that cheap case and still have a good deal. Or if you are building a system for grandma, the cheap case and PS will do just fine.

I bought one of these for a cheap computer I was putting together. It was actually a bit more at the time I bought it. Anyway, these ARE REALLY CHEAP. I mean REALLY cheap. A good quality PSU weights more than this case. DO NOT sit on this case lol. Uber thin. Its fine for cheap cheap computer, but make sure you know you are getting what you pay for.

Man, a case is the one thing I DON'T need for my new system that I will build sooner or later.

I'm posting from work and have XP SP2 installing to my left and Windows updates on a fresh load of 2000 to my right. As I post from my Win 98 box.

Work PC Specs:
Celeron 500
160 MB RAM
4 GB HD
48X CD-ROM
C-Media 6 channel sound
10/100 NIC
Intel MOBO
3.5 floppy and ZIp 100
48x CD-ROM
17" Monitor
Microsoft Wheel Mouse
Midwest Micro Win95 Keyboard
Altec Lansing ACS90 Speakers

exabyte said:
Cheap isn't always good :rolleyes:
which is why we always say "you get what you pay for". But people are willing to deal with what they pay for. You save $40 on the case which can then be spent on a better processor.

This case is actually better than another case I bought. It was a SOHO case from Fry's, and after doing a bit of modding to it, it sits in my garage awaiting a computer. The big problem of the SOHO case was that it only had one rear fan slot. This has 2. The PSU as expected is next to worthless (I use it to test boot some systems, and thats about all I trust it for) One upside to cheap cases... dremels can eat through them as if nothing was there. Just go wild and you won't feel too bad if something drastic goes wrong with your dremeling skillz ;)

I bought it to scrap it for spare parts. I need a new power/reset button anyway. Plus, i have some spare parts to throw in so, eh, why not.

This is easily the worst case I have ever owned. Decided to bite since I have an old Duron 750 rig just sitting here doing nothing, just begging to have Linux loaded on it. I got it, and not only is the metal of the case so flimsy you can make perfect thunder sounds by shaking it, the plastic is so cheap and thin that it came with some of the bezel screw pins broken. The box isn't even damaged. You can dent this thing by bumping into it, or making loud noises around it.

Back