9.8 Catalyst out from quakecon.

ATI Catalyst 9.8:
The next ATI graphics cards drivers will also get released on August 17th. It includes some enhancements specific to performance platforms which are meant to improve system performance in CPU bound situations. It is said that at 1680x1050 and higher, crossfire setups benefit considerably when used as part of the Dragon Platform. This means the AMD platform is more effective as a whole. Titles such as Far Cry 2, H.A.W.X., Battleforge, Stalker Clear Sky, Crysis, Company of Heroes, and World in Conflict show the largest gains, with Far Cry 2 getting up to approximately 50% more performance. Intel based computers featuring an ATI graphics solution will also see some increases, although they will be much less important

http://blogs.amd.com/play/2009/08/14/what’s-a-good-title-for-a-quakecon-blog/

I'll have my 2xHD4770 crossfired W7 machine ready!!! :)

Installed with XP 32 bit!! :)

CAT9_8WXP32.JPG

Kinda curious. Did they just limit the performance on the Intel platform or actually optimize it for the AMD platform?

Will this fix my COD5 loading time? Though I'm jus about done with COD5, need COD4MW2 soon!

Not sure what they did yet.

My Street Fighter 4 benchmark score went way down.

3dMark06 looks about the same.

UT3 online multiplayer looked and played great.

Won 2 games in a row. :)

Performance on Intel platforms will see some boosts, other sites say. As for Furmark going down - dude. It's a benchmark that stresses graphics cards and shortens their lifespan. Try benching a game.

Not sure what they did yet.

My Street Fighter 4 benchmark score went way down.

3dMark06 looks about the same.

UT3 online multiplayer looked and played great.

Won 2 games in a row. :)

Have you noticed any difference when using fraps to benchmark?
For example a higher min framerate score?
Because that's what makes games feel smoother.

Kinda curious. Did they just limit the performance on the Intel platform or actually optimize it for the AMD platform?

actually I think they said that there are some improvements on the intel side as well. I can't even see AMD intentionally limiting anything in the only market they are technologically ahead in (and still behind in market share I believe)

9.8 drivers are a FAIL for me! :(

Radeon 4890.

9.7 Streetfighter 4 benchmark 8xaa + all max settings at 1080p = 52.56 fps
9.8 Streetfighter 4 benchmark 8xaa + all max settings at 1080p = 25.23 fps

It looks absolutely sluggish on 9.8 drivers. WTF? Thought this was supposed to be an improvement! Anyone else getting similar results?

Maybe some of your settings just got reverted when you updated.

Personally I'm not seeing any improvements in fps in the few games I've tested so far. On the other hand, I'm definitely not seeing lower fps either.

Considering the 52 fps settings were MAX details on everything and 8xAA, if the settings were reverted, the FPS should have gone UP. I've got the GPU overclocked at the same rate as before too. So has anybody else tried the SF4 benchmark and noticed lower framerates with 9.8 compared to 9.7?

9.8 drivers are a FAIL for me! :(

Radeon 4890.

9.7 Streetfighter 4 benchmark 8xaa + all max settings at 1080p = 52.56 fps
9.8 Streetfighter 4 benchmark 8xaa + all max settings at 1080p = 25.23 fps

It looks absolutely sluggish on 9.8 drivers. WTF? Thought this was supposed to be an improvement! Anyone else getting similar results?

Similiar results for my HD4770 wih XP 32bit. :mad:

Have you noticed any difference when using fraps to benchmark?
For example a higher min framerate score?
Because that's what makes games feel smoother.

I don't use fraps.

SF4 Benchmark went way down.

UT3 game play is good as usual. :)

Back