9.12's

So I'm confused, do you have to install the 9.12 first, then the hotfix, or can you just go straight from 9.11 to the hotfix?

I uninstalled everything, then did 9.12, then did the hotfix.

Everything is working fine now. I tried just doing the hotfix originally and it didn't work.

I installed just the hotfix and everything works fine. The hotfix is a full driver set with CCC.

I installed just the hotfix and everything works fine. The hotfix is a full driver set with CCC.

But do you also get fan control and overclock ability in CCC? I'll probably just do 9.12, followed directly by hotfix to 9.12. So happy they have Crossfire+Eyefinity working. Now witness the *Power* of a fully operational Battlestation... err Quad-Fire Eyefinity system! =)

But do you also get fan control and overclock ability in CCC? I'll probably just do 9.12, followed directly by hotfix to 9.12. So happy they have Crossfire+Eyefinity working. Now witness the *Power* of a fully operational Battlestation... err Quad-Fire Eyefinity system! =)

Yes, I have fan control and OC ability. There is nothing missing in CCC. Only the hotfix is necessary.

The force is strong in this one! :D

I envy you! I haven't ordered my 3 screens yet for Eyefinity and its itching to just go and by 3 Dell's. Wan't to see what Samsung brings with the thin bezel, though I am not so fond of PVA screens and would have preferred IPS. Even wifey have approved with me getting "Insanity"as she calls it, though she hates having "more computer shit". :p

Possibly a dumb question: Can I install the hotfix drivers on W7-64 bit since they aren't WHQL? Or would I have to do one of the hacks to allow it?

My system shows the hotfix as being driver version 9.11.
I uninstalled it and reinstalled it and I still see 9.11 for the hotfix driver.
Does it include all of the 9.12 stuff? I realize it's a stand-alone driver package, but is it missing any of the 9.12 fixes or anything?

no it is a newer driver revision than the official 9.12's, so it does include everything the 9.12 include and some more.

Domingo: you probably need to manually uninstall the 9.11 drivers -> go to the Device Manager and uninstall the Display Adapter (and select delete drivers). Then install the 9.12 HF drivers. I had the same thing when using just the AMD uninstall; it looked like the new drivers installed but after a power cycle the 9.11's remained, and had to do this. Working fine now...

Getting major issues trying to install 9.12 from 9.11. First I tried it without uninstalling 9.11 and even after uninstalling 9.11 i cannot get it working with win7 release version x64 ultimate.

As soon as I click on install after selecting "English" as the language, windows pops up saying CATALYST has stopped working. GAH!

Installed the regular 9.12's over 9.11. No uninstall or anything. Just ran them over and worked perfectly. Saw the Hotfix and installed those over the 9.12's. Same thing.
I was never able to do this on Vista but really simple now on Win7.
If you are getting problems its most likely something getting left over in device manager or the annoying autoinstall on startup when it searches for drivers.

for anybody who is facing the same issue, try installing via command line.

http://forums.amd.com/game/messagev...9891&highlight_key=y&keyword1=install+manager
i figured it out. what i had to do was "First extract the drivers to c:\ATI or wherever you want and abort the driver installation (or just wait until the error occurs then start a cmd as admin, and cd to the directory where you extracted all the stuff. Then cd to the "BIN64" directory (or bin directory for 32 bit) and start "ATISetup.exe -Uninstall -output screen" so the drivers are uninstalled. After that extract the new drivers, cd there to the "BIN64" directory (or BIN for 32 bit) and start "ATISetup.exe -Install -output screen" so the new drivers are installed with everything else (CCC). Restart windows and that's it. This is just fo x64 operating systems, if you have a x86 computer you have to cd to "BIN" instead of "BIN64" "

i found that in the forums from capsad

worked for me after trying all the driver cleaner crap and still getting problems. probably has to do with the fact i also had visual studio 2010 beta installed with all the other beta packages of .NET framework.

My system shows the hotfix as being driver version 9.11.
I uninstalled it and reinstalled it and I still see 9.11 for the hotfix driver.
Does it include all of the 9.12 stuff? I realize it's a stand-alone driver package, but is it missing any of the 9.12 fixes or anything?

Sometimes uninstalling ATI software/drivers from the control panel (Programs and Features) isn't enough. You might need to open up Device Manager, find your ATI card and uninstall the driver from there (Device Manager). Doing this will install the standard VGA driver. You can tell this works because you'll reboot into a low resolution screen. Now install the 9.12 and they'll stick.

For most people simply installing the latest drivers over the previous versions seem to work. I had to do the above to get the correct version to stick. Go figure.

It was impossible for me to install 9.12 hotfix over 9.11 with my 5970. Nothing was working. DriverCleaner, etc. The screen was flickering like crazy, but installation was not able to complete. Ever.

But installing 9.12 over 9.11 went smoothly. Then 9.12 Hotfix over 9.12 went fine. :confused:

But hey. It worked. :D

Installed 9.12s - No manual fan control

Installed 9.12 Hotfix - No manual fan control

All I wanted from this driver was the ability to control my fan so I could get to overclocking this card. So basically I have to flash the BIOS with a Sapphire one in order to get manual fan control on a $799 card. I'm a little annoyed to say the least.

Why don't you just install MSI Afterburner????
You can do anything with the fan you want with that little piece of software.

Lookie Here: http://event.msi.com/vga/afterburner/download.htm

Can't wait to see what Crossfire does for my EyeFinity...............YARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR.

Last edited:
Why don't you just install MSI Afterburner????
You can do anything with the fan you want with that little piece of software.

Lookie Here: http://event.msi.com/vga/afterburner/download.htm

Can't wait to see what Crossfire does for my EyeFinity...............YARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR.

Tried that when I first got the card thinking the same thing but the fan control slider is grayed out. I will try it with these new drivers tonight after work. Thanks for the tip.

Very much enjoying these drivers, feel way less buggy. I'm able to run Crysis at 5760x1200 now with everything but shaders on very high. Before it was somewhat choppy, now its smooth. Fun fun!

I'll have to play with this some more after work. This morning I tried a few things, but nothing seemed to want to work. I removed the display driver but then my screen went blank and I had to reset my PC since I couldn't see anything :p
When I rebooted it re-installed the 5800 driver almost immediately and it was (shocker) the 9.11 driver again.

Anyone not seeing data in CCC on their second 5870? After installing 9.12, then the hotfix, I am getting 0c on temp and 0mhz on GPU and Mem showing in CCC. Also, as others have mentioned, the fan controls are greyed out. I'm getting worried about what my second card is doing... it could be making crystal meth down there now for all I know :)

After running a few passes in Stalker, however, it does appear both cards are at work in Eyefinity now: seems quite a bit smoother and I can bump up the AA.

My fan control isn't grayed out in CCC....it's missing all together. I remember when I got my 4870 X2 at launch there was no such thing as manual fan control in CCC. I was able to make profiles and edit the fan speed values with notepad. I will give that a try as well, but something tells me my card just doesn't support fan control. At least not without a BIOS flash.

Pretty annoying to drop that kinda coin on a card and have to jump through hoops to get simple things like this to work. All the reviews of the 5970 had manual fan control.

If you had 9.11 and went to the 9.12 hotfix you will still see 9.11 when you pull up the CCC info. The 9.12 hotfix acts kidna like the beta's and wont populate that field. So the 9.11 from your previous install will remain there but it is the 9.12.

Crysis Warhead is smooth on Enthusiast 2650x1600 noAA VSync on. Not sure what the FPS are but I know it was choppy in certain areas with the 9.11s.

Dirt2 was 30FPS average, 29min with all settings maxed (Ultra) but was smooth when running 9.11, now it's 48FPS average, 30FPS min. 2560x1600 4xAA when running the 9.12 drivers.

I haven't tried Shift yet with the new drivers, but I haven't noticed any performance issues with that game either with any of the past driver releases. I've been playing that game with 8xAA, max settings.

Dirt 2 has jumped 20 FPS higher on both min/avg score, sweet.

DDO saw a slight increase at the harbour in Stormreach. (Very taxing on Ultra settings @ 1920x1200 24".)

TF2 seems unchanged.

That's all I have installed currently.

For those with a 5970 having fan control issues. Try to switch to different GPU in advanced Afterburner properties. This seems to be a common fix. Also 1.5 beta2 of Afterburner is out.

Had a bit of trouble getting these situated (like some others here,) but once I got them installed, I saw instant improvements. Other than the installation hassled (which is the first time I've had a problem installing a video driver in over 5 years probably,) these are really nice drivers. The hitching I was seeing in Dirt 2 is gone completely, a the tearing (with v-sync on) that I saw in a couple of games is gone. My fan control slider started working now too.

YMMV but I ran into an odd issue with the hotfix drivers.

Initially I downloaded the WHQL 9.12, removed the 9.11 before installing 9.12, then applied the hotfix over the 9.12's. Once the hotfix was applied, my default fan speed on my 5850 was set to manual @ 50%, no big deal, bump it down and good to go. Then I benched some Crysis runs and Far Cry 2 runs, wow my avg fps on both benches ended up going down by an average of 20% vs. the previously installed 9.11's.

I then removed the drivers, ran a driver sweeper, and reinstalled the 9.11's. Performance was the same, neutered.

I noticed my Zune software was not loading on bootup, this may or may not be related, so I removed the audio over HDMI device the hotfix drivers installed, reinstalled the 9.11's, uninstalled them and applied the hotfix drivers fresh.

Finally, benches were not only within acceptable range, but my minimum frames bumped up by a good 2-3 fps on both benches.

I am currently still running with the HDMI audio drivers removed and everything is smooth and very solid. I really don't know if that was my conflict, or if installing the hotfix over the 9.12's was the issue.

I am noticing a good 10% boost in performance on Dirt 2 as well.

Ok, ok, ok.... forgive me for not reading the whole thread, but did I just read that Eyefinity supports Crossfire now? :eek:

If so I have another card to buy! 7680x1600 is demainding, lol!

Ok, ok, ok.... forgive me for not reading the whole thread, but did I just read that Eyefinity supports Crossfire now? :eek:

If so I have another card to buy! 7680x1600 is demainding, lol!

CORRECT, read the Catalyst_912_release_notes.PDF

I am looking for another HD 5850 now :D

These drivers are best of every world right now, fixing all kinds of issues and boosting FPS. needless to say, I was very happy to install them last night

ARRRRRRRRRRRRRGH, Afterburner borked my 9.12 drivers.

I guess this is a common problem currently, as of the 9.12 release.

I installed 9.112 Hotfix after uninstalling the 9.10s
I disabled Afterburner while I was doing all that.
9.12 installed fine
opened up CCC and made my adjustments
enabled Afterburner>>>>>>>blue screen..........when I restarted the computer the whole thing was corrupted and pixelated.
uninstalled AB and the screen corruption went away, but the stupid drivers wouldn't recognize my CrossFire.

So I'm going back to 9.10 for the time being until the AB guys add 9.12 support.

Discussion at Guru3D :http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=311360

Just installed hotfix over top of my 9.12s and its working fine. :)

I am curious as to why my TF2 performance has significantly lowered, however. Before I was averaging 299fps all the time, now im down in the 150s. both of my 5870s are working too.

Just installed hotfix over top of my 9.12s and its working fine. :)

I am curious as to why my TF2 performance has significantly lowered, however. Before I was averaging 299fps all the time, now im down in the 150s. both of my 5870s are working too.

Here is a really easy fix to that, format - reinstall - don't reinstall TF2 :D

oh and you really needed 2 5870s to play TF2, when it could be MAX and 100+ fps with half the cards on the market for half the price

LOL

I'm not serious and I know your post wasn't either... or at least I hope it wasn't

oh but I'm not joking about removing TF2 from your time wasting :p

Here is a really easy fix to that, format - reinstall - don't reinstall TF2 :D

oh and you really needed 2 5870s to play TF2, when it could be MAX and 100+ fps with half the cards on the market for half the price

LOL

I'm not serious and I know your post wasn't either... or at least I hope it wasn't

oh but I'm not joking about removing TF2 from your time wasting :p
:confused: :eek::rolleyes::eek::rolleyes:
;)

ARRRRRRRRRRRRRGH, Afterburner borked my 9.12 drivers.

I guess this is a common problem currently, as of the 9.12 release.

I installed 9.112 Hotfix after uninstalling the 9.10s
I disabled Afterburner while I was doing all that.
9.12 installed fine
opened up CCC and made my adjustments
enabled Afterburner>>>>>>>blue screen..........when I restarted the computer the whole thing was corrupted and pixelated.
uninstalled AB and the screen corruption went away, but the stupid drivers wouldn't recognize my CrossFire.

So I'm going back to 9.10 for the time being until the AB guys add 9.12 support.

Discussion at Guru3D :http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=311360

It appears that you and both of the folks in that Guru thread are running X-fire setups. One guy cleared it up (not sure how, vague description) but it looks like a new glitch introduced for x-fire folks.

Just a guess... my single 5850 setup works fine with 9.12 and AB.

I've discovered something strange with the 9.12 hotfix drivers. Everest locks up bigtime and goes to a bluescreen with them. With the WHQL drivers it does not do this.

Just tried Dirt 2 again everything ultra, minus AA, and its butter smooth at 5760x1200. Loving these drivers. Before I could barely run it, amazing what a driver upgrade can do.. I guess its safe to say that these drivers have barely matured, eh?

AppaYipYip
I had the same problem with Everest and in CCC overdrive there were no temps for two of my cards. Uninstalled drivers and reinstalled just the 9.12s and all is fine again. Everest works again. Might skip the hot-fix.

Back