9.12HF to 10.2 - do it?

dcho

Limp Gawd
Joined
Apr 17, 2004
Messages
419
So what's the verdict on the 10.2s? I've heard mixed reviews about them so am a bit concerned about upgrading. I have a 5970 in an eyefinity setup.

Primary games of interest: Dragon Age, ME 2, (FSX :D) and Dirt 2.

Eyefinity would be nice for all of those.

Any suggestions?
 
I've been running the 10.2s since they were officially released, and haven't had any issues and the general consensus is that these are good drivers. I think you'll be fine, but no one can predict how your setup will react.
 
only issue i had with 10.1 was the power save mode, which the 10.2 has now fixed. ive been playing dirt 2 ALOT since i got my new eyefinity setup and it looks amazing.
btw if you wanna run fsx, i hope you have crossfire.
 
Considering the Poll the Kyle put up, You odds are very good you will have no problem :)
 
I'm also using a 5970 and playing the same games as the OP.

I went straight for the 10.3 beta's as there are quite crazy Dirt2 framerate improvements as well as bezel management.

Still the same stuttering with Cross-finity that you get with the 9.12HF drivers though, and still no working vsync. You certainly have nothing to lose by going to the 10.2's, that's for sure.
 
finkus, regarding the dirt 2 frame improvements - does this mean none of the drivers have really been able to harness to true potential of the 5970 yet? that will be awesome once the stuttering issues are resolved too
 
If Dirt 2 is a game you play and you have it working now. I wouldn't recommend changing drivers.

I have the 10.2 and still have issues with the game.
 
finkus, regarding the dirt 2 frame improvements - does this mean none of the drivers have really been able to harness to true potential of the 5970 yet? that will be awesome once the stuttering issues are resolved too

I think there is a big improvement with the 10.3 drivers and Dirt2. You also have access to the newer intermediate resolutions so you can get away with Eyefinity, plus bezel management, with all settings on Ultra and still pull close to 60fps most of the time.
 
Well I am using 10.1 drivers, and still get the very odd 2D crash, but very rare. I installed the 10.2 drivers and STARTED to get the power save error. Monitor just will not come out of sleep mode.

Very strange to start getting problems with newer drivers especially when you were not getting them before hand!

Still here is looking towards....10.3's
 
also... anyone experiencing stuttering? its pretty noticeable in NFS shift for me.
 
also... anyone experiencing stuttering? its pretty noticeable in NFS shift for me.

Seems to be engine specific. No stutter at all in Modern Warfare 2, yet horrific stutter in Dirt2, DA:O and Source games. It's not framerate related either as TF2 runs at 200+ fps, even at 5760x1080.
 
Seems to be engine specific. No stutter at all in Modern Warfare 2, yet horrific stutter in Dirt2, DA:O and Source games. It's not framerate related either as TF2 runs at 200+ fps, even at 5760x1080.

well on my 5870 with 10.2 drivers i get no stutter at all with dirt 2 nor any of the HL2 games, so im guessing its a problem with the 5970 and how the internal crossfire is/isn't working.
 
My honest opinion is to hold off until the GSOD issues are fixed. If your current drivers are working I'd stick with them because I've seen an awful lot of posts (not just here) that state that the person was having no issues at all until installing the 10.2 cats.

Until the gsod problem is fixed I'd wait.....unless you're having issues then go ahead and update and cross your fingers.
 
I went from 9.10 to 9.12HF to 10.2

For my setup, the 10.2s are definately the best. No problems at all with CF and EyeFinity.:D
 
well on my 5870 with 10.2 drivers i get no stutter at all with dirt 2 nor any of the HL2 games, so im guessing its a problem with the 5970 and how the internal crossfire is/isn't working.

You have two 5870's in Crossfire?

The stutter is an Eyefinity + Crossfire issue. Doesn't happen in Crossfire single screen and doesn't happen in Eyefinity with Catalyst A.I disabled.
 
Back
Top