8xS / 16xS Rivatuner

A-L-E-X

Limp Gawd
Joined
Nov 22, 2007
Messages
156
Hey All, I was wondering if these combined modes, which I have in Rivatuner, are doable options in old Open GL games like Prey and Doom. I have the 8800GTS SSC. The resolution I would be running these at would be 1280 x 1024 or 1600 x 1200 Currently I have forced settings on the latest Nvidia WHQL driver with 16xAF 16xCSAA Transparency AA set to MS and Very High Quality (all optimizations disabled.) I was wondering if 8xS or 16xS via Rivatuner would force either of these combined modes into my old Open GL games or if it would cause some kind of problem or maybe even put so much stress on the card that it might fail (Nvidia may not be supporting these modes in the driver for a reason?) I know Nhancer doesn't support the newer drivers so I was hoping I could force these modes via Rivatuner..... and would I have to change my Nvidia control panel settings or can I leave them as is? Also can I use Supersampling Transparency AA with these combined modes or should I leave that at MS?
 
Why don't you try it and let us know? Worst that can happen is the software fails to boot or looks all garbled on your screen. It's not going to damage the hardware.
 
These days I tend to put more faith in the Nvidia control panel delivering what's to be expected, especially when it comes to a game that requires an AA mode to be "forced". But like the above poster said, why not experiment yourself?

Most of the modes listed in RT that are not in Nvidia's own CP are considered deprecated (quincunx for example). Worst that can happen is the driver no longer supports it (and the game doesn't show AA or a lesser version of it), which I think Nvidia has yet to do. Think of it as a hidden driver feature. I think the same can be said for most 3rd party apps.
 
Thanks guys-- I tried and found out RT doesn't seem to apply any AA with the latest driver version. I downloaded Inspector and it seems to work well (I also have MSI Afterburner's onscreen display installed and can see the VRAM usage go up with higher antialiasing.) 8xS + 4x SGSS seems to be the sweet spot from what I can tell!
 
Just one other issue and that is that I downloaded the Nvidia SSAA tool and I get a weird error that says ERROR : NVAPI INVALID ARGUMENT It also shows up as disabled in the Tool after the error message and wont let me enable it, so I just enable it in Inspector at 4x SGSSAA. Is this actually working or is it not applying the SGSSAA? I cant really tell and when I go back to the SSAA Tool it keeps giving me that same error message and saying it's disabled even though Inspector says I have it set to 4x.
 
Back
Top