• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

8x vs 4x

Pixeleet

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Feb 24, 2003
Messages
1,145
I have a gfx 5600 (non-ultra) 256mb in my amd 1.3 that only has a 4x agp slot. Now I know I'm loosing major performance by having it in that slot, but is it going slower than a card that only did 4x would?
 
You are losing major performance using that card by itself, the AGP speed should be the least of your worries. Gains from 4x to 8x are nominal, and no, 4x is 4x is 4x, no matter what card.
 
Well, where am I loosing a majority of the performance if it's not in the speed of the AGP slot?
 
Originally posted by Pixeleet
Well, where am I loosing a majority of the performance if it's not in the speed of the AGP slot?

Fist off, 4xand8x is really no difference.

And i think he ment that your card sux, but dont pay him any attention. If it works for what you need it to do stick with it.
 
Oh, I know the card sucks, that's why it's in a AMD 1.3 and not my AMD 2600+ ;)
 
AGP 8x is more hype than reality. Graphics cards have barely broken the AGP 4x speeds so far.
 
ya simple fact is cards nowdays dont even use 8x agp really and not even fully 4x agp and new pcix is a joke nothing can even fill it.... just marketing hype...prob is with your mb, cpu , and memory config. hehe hey face it bro you got a old system. simple as that.
 
Yea, you aren't losing performance on anything but the WHOLE system, from cpu to ram to gpu... you're getting fucked from all angles there.

Don't fret- that's what upgrading is for. I'd get a nice 1700+ and a new board and ddr ram. Oc the 1700+ and you might be ok to take some slack up. If money isn't a problem I hear they have mobility amd barton core 2400+'s over at new egg, in stock... go for it plus a nice board.

~Adam
 
Back
Top