8TB WD EasyStore $140

Discussion in '[H]ot|DEALS' started by BlueFireIce, Dec 6, 2018.

1. nilepez

nilepez [H]ardForum Junkie

AFAIK, all the 8TB drives were helium drives. AFAIK, the 8TB red drives came out Q1 2016 and I bought my first helium drive almost 2 years ago. HGST had 8TB helium drives almost 4 years ago and first announced (and I assume released soon after) helium HD's in 2012.
    IMO, this isn't new technology.

2. nilepez

nilepez [H]ardForum Junkie

Oh I totally agree, but if one is worried about it, the warranties are not expensive. Hell, I suspect all of mine have 4 years, thanks to my CC's extended warranty, but I doubt it'll matter. I've got drives that I tossed (after wiping) that were over 7 years old and most of those had run 24x7

3. CuriousGeorge

CuriousGeorge n00bie

I've been running multiple WD80EZZX drives for ~2 years now, the "enterprise" HGST HE8 drives on which those drives are based have been around for at least three years, and HGST was selling helium drives at least 5 years ago. So not only can WD easily measure the rate of any He diffusion in the lab during the design phase, they've got 5+ years of real world data to reference for newer designs.

In other words WD has at least a decade of lab data and at least five years of real world data backing up their current designs. If there were even a marginal risk of diffusion-related failures in 5 years WD wouldn't be offering 5 year warranties on He drives (and there is no "worse" design for consumer drives - it's all the same basic design because the expenses here are in R&D, not materials). Without WD's data nobody can say for sure what the MTBF for a diffusion failure might be, but with diffusion and normal distributions being what they are you're almost certainly talking at least 10 years if they have any confidence in a 5 year warranty window.

4. DPI

DPI Nitpick Police

And when you say WD you're really talking HGST -- those engineers are still the best and smartest in the storage industry. WD is just a marketing company at this point with only technically average products of their own, as they've always been.