8TB SSD available in November

Because it uses no DRAM, SageMicro's SSDs are also markedly slower than other 2.5-in SSDs -- even consumer models, which can boast read/write rates exceeding 500MB/s. SageMicro's 5TB SSD using a SATA II interface has a maximum read/write rate of 200MB/s.

No thanks..

I will open the floor to the discussion of this feature:

"The Smart Destruction feature can be set to erase encryption keys, perform a drive erase or physically fry the memory chips with a pulse of high voltage. It can be triggered using a digital timer, a mobile phone instruction, or by simply pressing a button."

Its still orders of magnitude faster than the fastest HDD

Its still orders of magnitude faster than the fastest HDD

I agree with this, though 200MBs is very nice, nothing is said about access times, and then I read about price...$5k for the 5TB model? WTF, I was thinking much slower drive with space, and it would be priced with 1TB highend SSDs, but it's not, their 5TB SSD, that far FAR slower, is almost twice the price as SanDisks server grade 4TB SDD...WTF are they thinking?

Why would anyone come out with a slower drive, that's massively more expensive even in the same capacity range, and less reliable HW? :confused:

...you could do 10 writes per day...
200MB/sec * 3600sec/hour * 24hour/day / 1048576MB/TB = 16.48TB/day. So even a 2TB drive literally cannot do 10DWPD at that speed.

200MB/sec * 3600sec/hour * 24hour/day / 1048576MB/TB = 16.48TB/day. So even a 2TB drive literally cannot do 10DWPD at that speed.

I would not care how many WPD, I would take 2 of the SanDisk 4TB drives over this for the same price. Seemed good at first, but once they talked about pricing it all became shit. Now, a slower 200MB/s (but good access time) 5TB+ drive for $500, I would bite, but over $5,000? No thanks. I don't even think SanDisks 8TB drive is going to be that much, and it's going to be at least 500/500 like the 4TB is.

Since the primary benefit of SSD's is access time, not sequential speeds, I'm not turned off by lower write speeds. I think it's fine for 97% of users. Large SSD's would help eliminate setups like mine where I have to have both SSD and HDD.

However, I'm not sure why they would only use a SATA II interface.

I am trying to understand the market for this. To me is not for most enterprise usage where an array of SAS SSDs can be used or a few PCIe device(s) can be used. Although I can see this used in a laptop that for some reason needs 8TB of space but at this price tag how many will they sell?

Last edited:
FIPS 140-2 for government use compliancy, but they are based out of (and make their products in) China, which automatically blacklists them for such use, iirc. So much marketing BS in that article which is nothing but trying to put gold plating on a dried dog turd.

eMMC instead of NAND - so it's essentially a RAID array of 64 128GB microSDXC guts.
No DRAM cache.
SATA II interface with max data speeds between SATA I and II.

-- What is the P/E cycle rating?
-- What is the TBW endurance?
-- What is the warranty period?
-- How are warranty claims handled?

...they want to push for enterprise-class storage solutions, then they better make the answers to those questions damn good and clear.

That article is a sales pitch focusing on sheer capacity while trying to spin some gusto to counter-point logical and realistic arguments against their severe shortcomings vs the competition...both Samsung and SanDisk have announced 16TB SSD's coming down the pipeline, so for the owner of SageMicro to say "So when you're able to buy a 5 or 6 or 8 TB drive from Samsung, we'll be putting out 20TB drives in the same package" is nothing but a rally cry to get customers to jump on his bandwagaon now and pay his asinine price tags.

My take-a-way from it is that they are an putting a massive markup on an evolution of this. Too late, SageMicro, someone already beat you to the USDM.

Back