8port or 16 port 10gb switch for copper

trinimoses

n00b
hi all,

I am looking at doing some upgrades to my home office and i was looking at getting either 1 or 2 TS-879 Pro (Qnap9) and upgrading the nics to 10bg nics.. .but my problem is where can i get a suitable 8port or 16port switch for these..

I have never worked with 10gb stuff before ..so i am looking for advise on what switchs i can get..

I will be mainly doing Vitrualization and data management on it.

Please advise.

Its going to be quite expensive you know? they cost thousands of $

I thihnk Netgear do a 10Gbps ProSafe not sure how good it is though

Since you mention home office and using low end NAS I've got to ask. What's your budget? I ask because there are no consumer grade 10G switches. There are no 4 port 10G switches for under 5K, with corp discounts, that I know of much less 8 or 16 port. For 8 and 16 port switches you're looking at a chassis with 10G line cards + SFP+ modules.

Trunking 2 Decent 4-port 1Gb NIC interfaces (effective 8Gb/s) > single 10Gb/s

Chepaer and built-in fault tolerance.

Or if you want to actually be reasonable and realize your Server, NAS, whatever probably has maximum Disk Read/write of somewhere between 150-400MB/s, you don't need 10Gb for anything other than a corporate LAN backbone.

Direct connect is the cheapest way to get to 10gb....

You can get a large switch that does gigabit and has maybe 2 10gb ports on it, that's what we do with our cisco switches, the 10gb is used for uplink to another switch. Still talking THOUSANDS of dollars here, even refurbished....

Hell a 4-port 1gb card is several hundred dollars!

Trinimoses, don't listen to these tools- I can get you a 10Mb HUB for a good price- M is after G in the alphabet, so you know it spanks. The problem with a switch here, is a switch will try and muscle-out your other computers. I bet you have other computers that want some storage lovin' too, right? A hub spreads the love to everything connected to it.

Trinimoses, don't listen to these tools- I can get you a 10Mb HUB for a good price- M is after G in the alphabet, so you know it spanks. The problem with a switch here, is a switch will try and muscle-out your other computers. I bet you have other computers that want some storage lovin' too, right? A hub spreads the love to everything connected to it.

LOL :)

Trunking 2 Decent 4-port 1Gb NIC interfaces (effective 8Gb/s) > single 10Gb/s

Chepaer and built-in fault tolerance.

Or if you want to actually be reasonable and realize your Server, NAS, whatever probably has maximum Disk Read/write of somewhere between 150-400MB/s, you don't need 10Gb for anything other than a corporate LAN backbone.

Maybe he wants 400MB/s. You can't do that with trunked NICs and a single client using standard hashing techniques so if you want one client to do >1Gb you have to go faster...that's where 10Gb comes in.

As for a small switch..especially copper right now...good luck.

Even if you built your own switch box, would it have enough bandwidth for all those 10gig NICs?

Since you just said copper and didn't specify any further (yes, 10gbe has multiple copper varieties), I'll post a couple options. You can get an 8 port CX4 switch for about $5500 (HP 6400-6XG + J8434A) and that will probably be your cheapest option. There really aren't any 16 port switches, so you'd need to go 24 port if 8 won't cut it. An HP 6600-24XG for example will run you ~$13000 (and don't forget SFP+ modules) or a Dell 8024 if you want all 10gbase-t for ~$15000. After that, you're looking at about $500 per HBA (slightly more for dual port and less for CX4) and then you're set. I recommend the Intel AT2 line for HBAs. They even support link aggregation. I use them myself at home and have had no issues running 20gbit links (tested up to 40gbit teamed).

Cisco Nexus 5596UP, comes with 48 ports of 1/10GB, expandable to hundreds of 10GB ports, starts around $37,000.

Thanks for all the replies.

Blue Fox your suggestions seem to be the best..

at 8 port would be enough... 4 ports for the NAS boxes and 4 ports for the servers.

can you explain a little more detail about this for me please.

Lemme give a solid ":eek:" to trinimoses for not blinking at the price.

Back