8pin connector on a GTX480

Abula

[H]ard|Gawd
Hi,

I have a ZOTAC AMP! ZT-40102-10P GeForce GTX 480 on the way, arriving next week.

Atm i have an Antec PSU CP-850 (semi modular), i have no problem plugging the extra set of pcie connectors, if its needed. Currently my GTX285 is connected using the 8pins pci express cables that are 6+2 (only using the 6), i kinda though this were going to be what should be plugged in one of the connectors of this GTX480 since it has a 8pin + 6pin, but i read a review in newegg,

Pros: - Zalman Heatsink!
- Rock-Solid
- Clocked far higher than other GTX480 boards
- Includes proper PCIe-6x2 --> 8 adapter (note this is not a normal PCIe 8)

Cons: - Large card dimensions
- Covers 3 slots due to massive heatsink/fan combo
- Uses 3 of your PCIe-6 connectors

Other Thoughts: This card, in my current system, was able to bump me up to 21000 on 3DMark06, and I was able to squeeze 5400 out of the Low-Res FFXIV bench. 4500 on High-Res.

What appears to be a typical PCIe-8 power connector is not. This requires the included adapter, and there is a cut sheet included which shows the required pinout for the 8-pin power socket. My power supply has PCIe-6 cables and a set of pins for an 8, but this was not the requires pinout, and I had to use the included adapter.

So im just checking before i install it if i do need to use this dual pcie 6pin to one 8pin connector, or should it be safe to just plug the extra 2 pins that come with the pcie connectors.

Thanks for any opinions or advise,

Huh, apparently the card needs more power (or more stable power) for the OC and fans?

Maybe they realize where people might be trying to OC these things to?

Back