8Pin connector issues?

Phantum

[H]ard|Gawd
I have an MSI P965 Platinum and an Intel E6420. My PSU is an Antec True430. There is a 4pin molex connector and an 8pin connector. I know they're both for power but my question is...does my PSU have to have that exact 8pin connector. I only have a 4pin. Now that's the 12V right?

Most of the time, a 4-pin works in favor of an 8-pin. Just need to try it and see.

That's a low-power dual core. You'll be fine with 4 pin even with some OC. The 8 pin power supply was designed for extreme CPUs that were 130W+.

8 PIN configs are used on higher end OC boards such as the Abit IN9 32X-MAX. It uses an 8pin for CPU power

What about something like this:

LINK

Will this work?

I have a Rocketfish case with a Toughpower 850 psu. The 8 pin cable that was supplies is not long enough to reach the 8 pin connector on the motherboard (the psu is at the bottom of the case - whereas the 8 pin connector on the motherboard is at the top; and we all know how ginormous the Rocketfish case is). The cable that was supplied is roughly 21 inches long. I need something that's about 30 inches. I was wondering if this cable will work (which will piggyback from two 4 pin molex).

Back