8K TVs in 2018 but No Content till 2025

The sooner we get lightweight wireless AR glasses with sufficient resolution to give me a virtual display to replace my computer screens, the sooner I can get off this flat screen treadmill.

Can we focus on 4K first people, jesus my OLED only sees 4K content like 5% of the time

TV industry: sales are sagging once again. What can we do?

<Head scratches>

I know well give them more resolution even though they can't see the pixels now. Well tell them it's the best new thing and they will benefit from it!

Unless you are dealing with computer graphics where you are likely < 2' from the screen you'll never benefit from 4k

Seriously, go to the store where they are demoing 4k content side by side on the same screen as 1080p. (They split the screen down the middle). They have to resort to blocking, or gaussian blur or artificial zooms you could never do at home. That is effectively halving the resolution of 1080p to show an improvement. That is very under handed.

The only way you will benefit is if you sit very close and have perfect eyes, or have a ginormous screen.

Don't fall for the hype.

Pretty fucking pointless. Let's improve display tech rather than resolution which isn't the issue right now. The vast majority of content is hyper compressed 2k (even be shows issues that 10bit 2k bds would benefit from)or less and will always be. Upscaling can never match native resolution.

Then there is motion. You are losing all that extra information in motion as it blurs into a juddering mess at anything less than 60hz.

Back