8GB DDR3 Unbuffered ECC UDIMMs

freezervv

n00b
(Note: Posted here instead of the memory forum because I think it's of interest to a much greater percentage of the virtualization community.)

So based on my understanding that 8GB DDR3 UDIMMs were
a) a newly supported configuration (hence no supply) &
b) hypothetically possible to construct (if there were demand),
I did a bit of Googling last night.

My main aim was to at least find a damned roadmap as to when the things would be available.

Enter this article: (Daily Tech, I know :rolleyes:, but it had parts numbers)
http://www.dailytech.com/Faster+Mem...ons+Entering+Mass+Production/article23102.htm

Which resulted in this:
http://www.google.com/search?q=M391B1G73BH0-CMA&hl=en&tbm=shop&aq=f

:confused: :eek: Wait, what?! Already released? And on sale at (seemingly) reputable stores? For a decent price?!

Ergo, question:
Can anyone think of a reason that (*reverse waves hand*) this isn't the memory I'm looking for?
Specifically, I'm interested in Sandy Bridge-based Xeon / C20x compatibility?

Looks like 8GB DIMMs for my X8SIL-F systems have gotten cheap too...might be time to move one host (at least) to 32GB.

Mmmm ..... looks good!

I tried Memory4Less for a similar DIMM module
and though they had it in stock, they called me to tell
me there was a price mistake and the actual price was 3x higher.

I might take another chance on ordering this new find.
The only concern is the CL=13.

Hmm ... let me try it ...

Still no dice on ordering from Memory4Less.
They list they have it in stock, but they don't.

Other vendors are listing 8GB UDIMM as special order items for
2x to 3x the cost of what M4L listed.(US $)

Yes, unfortunately, it looks like more of the waiting game.

~$175 (one stick) for the places that actually have product in stock. *le sigh*

I've been looking for a compatible 8GB stick for my X8SIL-F as well. I have an i7 proc installed, which leads me toward unbuffered memory as well. I noticed today that NewEgg was advertising these:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231486

$235 for 2x8GB.

What I don't know is whether I'm missing something that makes these incompatible? Info from anyone who knows better than me would be appreciated.

I was looking for some 8GB sticks as well, registered of course, so I can run 32GB in total. I ordered them earlier this week. I also ordered some 4GB sticks as well, those came in fast. The 8GB sticks ... Still waiting. This for a Supermicro X8 board as well.

I've been looking for a compatible 8GB stick for my X8SIL-F as well. I have an i7 proc installed, which leads me toward unbuffered memory as well. I noticed today that NewEgg was advertising these:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231486

$235 for 2x8GB.

What I don't know is whether I'm missing something that makes these incompatible? Info from anyone who knows better than me would be appreciated.

A quick look at Supermicro's site for your motherboard reveals up to 16GB unbuffered or up to 32GB registered.

What is not known is if it is the individual modules (4GB DIMM vs 8GB DIMM) makes
a difference or is it the max memory per type DIMM used used.

Example: You listed 16GB, 2x8GB unbuffered DIMMs, which meets the 16GB limit for unbuffered, but the true limit may be using 4x4GB unbuffered to get to 16GB.

Hope that makes some sense ... I can't answer that question myself though.
My guess is that it is a per individual module limit - so 4x4GB modules unbuffered or 4x8GB modules registered.

EDIT - oopsie ..... we probably should have been talking about memory in the "Memory" forum.
Although we are talking about building out our virtualization boxes, right?
I dunno ...... mods move as you see fit.

Last edited:
NetWerkz - thanks for the response. I came to the same conclusion myself after writing that post. It looks like unless I swap CPUs out, I'm stuck w/ the 16GB ceiling as my i7 only supports unbuffered memory.

Looks like 8GB DIMMs for my X8SIL-F systems have gotten cheap too...might be time to move one host (at least) to 32GB.

I got 8 gig sticks bought 32gigs of ecc ram Kingston for about 299$ Points at server with 32gigs :)

Yeah..I need to upgrade two hosts, probably, to 32GB. About to really start hammering on vCloud Director in the lab. Maybe I shouldn't have spent so much while in Vegas at PEX. :)

Yeah..I need to upgrade two hosts, probably, to 32GB. About to really start hammering on vCloud Director in the lab. Maybe I shouldn't have spent so much while in Vegas at PEX. :)

I still have a spare 8gig stick sitting on my wall its kingston ddr1333 single 8 gig stick ecc... ( collecting dust ) make offer :)

Not to hijack the thread, but anyone know where to get ahold of some cheap Unbuffered ECC DDR2? I have 2x4GB now and I'd like 4x4GB. Preferably DDR2-667/PC5300

just fyi I think that information is wrong and you can get them now by special order. stores just dont stock them yet

See post #3 on this thread where I attempted to order (non Kingston).
The link and availability info you quoted me on was for Kingston.
Right or not, it's their info.

But.... still.....
Not worth it .... on to plan "B"

Not worth the time to wait or the cost.

The link and availability info you quoted me on was for Kingston.
Right or not, it's their info.

and I'm telling you that it is available if one just asks a human being from a store, a supplier, or from kingston

and I'm telling you that it is available if one just asks a human being from a store, a supplier, or from kingston

LOL ... I guess I have to spell it out.
I don't care ... it cost too much ... in stock or not ... I will not buy it.

The modules themselves were available when I ordered from Memory4Less (See post #3 again) ...
but the price was too high then ... still is.

So, in other words... I already know they are available ... I simply no longer
desire to purchase them.

SuperBiiz now has unregistered 8GB SuperTalent sticks with chips from the 3 main manufacturers. Been using 4gb ones with Micron chips for a while with no issues.

search for:
W1333EB8GM micron ($140)
W1333EB8GS samsung ($147)
W1333EB8GH hynix ($146)

temping, but similar registered versions are $60-70...

Still searching for unbuffered ECC ....

Standard 1G X 72 ECC 1333MHz 240-pin Unbuffered DIMM DDR3, 1.5V, CL9, FBGA
Price: $191 for 1x8GB
Availability: 5/14/2012 :eek:

Not worth it .... on to plan "B"

The registered memory NetJunkie linked to is down to $135 for 2x8GB
http://www.buy.com/prod/kingston-16...-16mb-2-x-8gb-1066mhz-ecc-ddr3/212817154.html

I found the Samsung DDR3-1333 8GB/1Gx72 ECC (M391B1G73BH0-CH900) @ SuperBiz: http://www.superbiiz.com/detail.php?p=D38GE133S2 $129.99

I found the Samsung DDR3-1333 8GB/1Gx72 ECC (M391B1G73BH0-CH900) @ SuperBiz: http://www.superbiiz.com/detail.php?p=D38GE133S2 $129.99

That's a great improvement but "Plan B" has been implemented and it worked out better for me.

PlanB.jpg

Due to sale on the i7-2600 ($199 at MicroCenter), I was able to knock $100 off.

The choice I had was to spend $600 on 4x8GB of ECC UDIMMs or buy whole new system (with 32GB RAM)
for a few dollars more - and it's XenClient compatible to boot.

Unbuffered or Registered? Why would this stupid site not include this vital piece of info

Yeah, the page info is a little lacking, but my search results showed it was Unbufered.

Another site shows: "M391B1G73BH0-CH900 SAMSUNG 8GB DDR3 1333MHZ PC3-10600 240PIN CL9 DUAL RANK ECC UNBUFFERED DIMM MEMORY"

Also, I found the part number M391B1G73BH0 on one of the Tested Memory / compatibility lists from Supermicro on the MBD-X9SCM-F-O board I was looking at...

http://www.supermicro.com/support/r...3&mtyp=31&id=F5A61216DDCB865018BD650E3EC19339

M391B1G73AH0-CH9 and M391B1G73BH0-CH9

I bought 4x of these.. should be here today. going to run memtest for 1 pass. mb = asus p8b ws

well they all passed 1 pass. seems theres an issue with the mobo reporting ecc to the software so i have to just trust that it's working

Back