• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

8bit vs 6bit

Eagle156

2[H]4U
Joined
Jan 21, 2006
Messages
2,242
What exactly is the difference visible between 6bit and 8bit panels? I know 6bit panels use dithering, so you see more twinkling in movies but otherwise what is the difference visible to the human eye? Is there more banding with 6bit panels?
 
The difference is there in the midtones. I personally can't stand it, maybe I'll try calibrating with a Spyder or something.

If you take, for example, a smooth gradient like on a desktop wallpaper, and compare the two types, you will find some pretty obvious banding on the 6 bit panel. It's not horrible, (i'm still using my 6 bit as secondary), but it's there.
 
Any differences in sharpness between the 2 or is it only colors?

Also, what is the FASTEST 8 bit monitor?
 
nothing to do with image sharpness, no. It's all down to reproducable colours. The 6 bit (TN Film) panels only have a true 256k colour depth, but produce 16.2 million colours thanks to dithering. This is actually a very efficient process and colour reproduction is actually very good on modern screens. On 8 bit panels (PVA, MVA, IPS etc) they can produce a real 16.7 million colour depth, with no need for dithering. Some actually do use dithering to push beyond 8 bit depth, models like the Eizo 2110W offfering 10 bit colour depth...

I think to an average user it would be very difficult to tell the difference in colour quality and reproduction between a modern TN Film panel, and an 8 bit PVA/MVA/IPS screen. Black depth might be one area which is clear, but for most users i think the colour qualities of TN Film are perfectly adequate, and there is probably too much emphasis placed on the whole 6 bit vs 8 bit arguement in some cases.


The fastest 8 bit panels as far as quoted response times at the moment are rated at 6ms. However, the 6ms rated NEC LCD20WGX2 has been labelled as being as fast as even the fastest TN Film models! See here for more info including a review, and links to the BeHardware review which was certainly very flattering about it.
 
Badd said:
nothing to do with image sharpness, no. It's all down to reproducable colours. The 6 bit (TN Film) panels only have a true 256k colour depth, but produce 16.2 million colours thanks to dithering. This is actually a very efficient process and colour reproduction is actually very good on modern screens. On 8 bit panels (PVA, MVA, IPS etc) they can produce a real 16.7 million colour depth, with no need for dithering. Some actually do use dithering to push beyond 8 bit depth, models like the Eizo 2110W offfering 10 bit colour depth...

I think to an average user it would be very difficult to tell the difference in colour quality and reproduction between a modern TN Film panel, and an 8 bit PVA/MVA/IPS screen. Black depth might be one area which is clear, but for most users i think the colour qualities of TN Film are perfectly adequate, and there is probably too much emphasis placed on the whole 6 bit vs 8 bit arguement in some cases.


The fastest 8 bit panels as far as quoted response times at the moment are rated at 6ms. However, the 6ms rated NEC LCD20WGX2 has been labelled as being as fast as even the fastest TN Film models! See here for more info including a review, and links to the BeHardware review which was certainly very flattering about it.


just wanted to give you a thumbs up for the nice post...
 
Budwise said:
just wanted to give you a thumbs up for the nice post...

I will second that motion - most of the 6-bit vs 8-bit I've read have been "8 BIT IS MOAR BETTAR" and that pretty much leaves it at that. I've had a Princeton that uses 6-bit for over a year and I'm fine with it as my eyes are a bit older than the averate here and I really don't notice the differences. I recently picked up a nice Acer LCD for my wife and it's an 8-bit display and In some cases I can see the difference. She loves it... so all is good :)

Peace,
Tim

 
I own a Dell 3007WFP and I notice some strange colour "stepping" in gradients. Is this thing 6-bit? I tried Googling but didn't spot the answer... Heh. And the specs didn't tell me, either.
 
Budwise said:
just wanted to give you a thumbs up for the nice post...

thanks guys :) It does seem theres a lot of "8 bit is so much better" talk without much detail behind it. Glad i could help


regarding the 3007WFP, the panel is an S-IPS panel from LG.Philips and so is an 8 bit colour panel. I've not heard of many issues with colour stepping with this screen, perhaps it just needs calibrating to help sort out the colour reproduction qualities. You could try this tool which can help set it up a little better :)
 
Back
Top