880G, 890FX, or 990FX

Rahnter

Weaksauce
I am not interested in Bulldozer, I plan to keep my 1055T for at least the next two years. I want to switch boards to use ddr3, increase my cpu overclock, and sata 3. So what board would be best for my needs? Also no cf or sli. Thanks in advance

Get the 990FX in case you later decide to move into a Bulldozer. It will support SATA 6Gb and USB 3.0 natively.

Get the 990FX in case you later decide to move into a Bulldozer. It will support SATA 6Gb and USB 3.0 natively.

Except that the current boards use a third-party USB 3.0 controller (ASMedia, NEC, Etron).

I would find someone selling one of the higher end 880g, 890gx or 890fx boards since people are moving into the 990 series now.

I would find someone selling one of the higher end 880g, 890gx or 890fx boards since people are moving into the 990 series now.

I prefer new just for the warranty. So any reason to go 990 if I'm sticking with phenom2? Any real difference btw 880 and 890?

880 does not allow crossfire (I believe), 890 does. 890 boards are also generally better built and can overclock better. I would, however, avoid MSI boards at all costs except for the 890FX-GD65. All of their other AM3 boards have proven to be fairly inadequate when it comes to overclocking Thuban.

No chipsets currently natively supports USB 3.0. The 990FX chipset is mostly a rebadge of the 890FX chipset. It just gains SLI certification and a few minor things that most users won't miss or notice, which are generally Bulldozer power saving related. And SLI on 890FX boards can easily be achieved by the SLI patch widely available on Overclock.net anyways.

If you're going to buy new then get a 990FX as it is a small upgrade over the 890FX. If you're going used then check into the specific features and available boards; the 8 series was a very good chipset.

I have 790, 880 and 890gx and don't notice much difference. Beware the current USB 3.0 are NOT bootable.

Actually after sleeping on it I can say I wouldn't pay for an 890gx or fx right now either. I Would look at the 870 boards if I were you. Specifically the GIGABYTE GA-870A-UD3 for example. It overclocks like a champ per all the reviews I could find & has usb 3 & sata 6 & still under 100 bucks.

What do you think of this board?

AsRock 880G

Has some extra features i don't need (onboard video, 2x pci slots, etc) but it is AM3+ and decent price.

if you have plans to go with bulldozer i'd definitely look at the 900 series boards, yes they don't natively support usb 3.0 with the current boards but neither do the 800 series boards so its not like you are losing anything. the 900 series boards have a much longer life ahead of them then the 800 series boards which means better resell value down the road. only reason i'd go with an 800 series board is because it has the am3+ socket on it otherwise there is no use buying it.

I prefer new just for the warranty. So any reason to go 990 if I'm sticking with phenom2? Any real difference btw 880 and 890?

890 FX gives you more PCi express lanes and 2 PCI x16.

880 I think gives you 1 pci express at 16 and 1 pci express at either 4 or 8. (I think 4)

890fx is not worth it unless you crossfire some decent cards or have more than 2 cards.

Don't buy biostar.

Don't buy biostar.

Bro Biostar makes best boards. I've probably purchased something like 200 motherboards in my life. Personally Biostar holds the record on the least number of issues I've had with them.

Fun fact, Biostar has been around longer than Asus.

I am most likely getting a TA990FXE if the price is right once BD is out.

Last edited:
for as much as you can future proof a computer go with the 900 series chipset...you never know in the future if you will want BD especially if its a home run for AMD...im rooting for them big time....

Back