8800gtx vs 9800gtx vs 8800gts on my 37" Westy @ 1920x1080?

jester55

Weaksauce
Hello everyone and thanks for your input!

What started as an upgrade has turned into almost complete new system! :D

Anyway, I am down to my last (I think) component: the VIDEO CARD! My budget is $200-$300 dollars. I have searched a lot on various forums and I seem to get mixed views on which card to buy. I own a 37" Westinghouse and I was hoping to be able to play most of my games at the native resolution of 1920x1080 if possible with high settings. This excludes Crysis of course, but I would like to get as close as possible with my current budget. I play mostly latest FPS, RTS, and driving simulators. I am not interested in SLI whatsoever and my new MOBO won't support it. I am looking to make an investment I can possibly use a step up program for the newer cards coming. Also, I am a little concerned about my PSU!? Here are the specs of my new system so far:

CPU - Q6600 (Hope to OC to around 3.4-3.6)
HS - Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme w/ Scythe 1600rpm fan
MOBO - Abit IP35-Pro
Ram - G.SKILL 8GB (4 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1000 (PC2 8000)
HDD - (3) Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD6400AAKS 640GB (2x320gb platters)
PSU: OCZ PowerStream 520W----only thing from previous system
Case - Rocketfish (re-branded Lian-Li)
Monitor - 37" Westinghouse @ native 1080p

Not concerned about buying a card already OCed or not. I figure I can do the OCing if needed. Here are the cards I was considering:
8800gtx--concerned about heat, power needed, and the ability to proper render hdcp HD
9800gtx--concerned about keeping up with the 8800gtx
8800gts--concerned about keeping up with the above

So, which do you recommend? What are the advantages and disadvantages to each? Can my system handle it all properly?

Thanks again for the input!;)

-Jester

I don't really know the solution to your issue but you should definitely investigate how the 9800GTX compares to the 8800GTX, when both are overclocked. Stock vs. stock, I would probably take the 8800GTX due to it's relatively robust memory configuration. The 9800GTX overclocks like a madman, though, which could tip the scales.

P.S. I wouldn't even consider the GTS in the face of the other two and your resolution.

I don't really know the solution to your issue but you should definitely investigate how the 9800GTX compares to the 8800GTX, when both are overclocked. Stock vs. stock, I would probably take the 8800GTX due to it's relatively robust memory configuration. The 9800GTX overclocks like a madman, though, which could tip the scales.

P.S. I wouldn't even consider the GTS in the face of the other two and your resolution.

I kind of figured that with the GTS. On one end I was hearing that the 9800gtx was just a 8800gts OCed to max, and on the other end I was hearing that the 9800gtx can OC to challenge the 8800gtx. Just don't know what to believe some times!

So, the GTS cannot be OCed to compete with the others then?

As for the 8800gtx vs 9800gtx - when OCed which would be best?
If I chose the 8800gtx - will my PSU handle it?
How will not having PureVideo HD in the 8800gtx effect me when it comes to games and movies?

Thanks!
-Jester

That's exactly it, I don't know which one would be better overclocked, I think that's something you're going to have to dig up on other forums/sites because I haven't seen too many comparisons.

As for the power supply, it is an older unit with a large bulk of the current rated for the 3.3 and 5v lines, although the 12v line still has 33amps available for it. The 8800GTX has a 32A recommendation with the rest of the system loaded, so your power supply should be good. If it works, it works, if it doesn't then get a new one or RMA if it's under warranty. Finally, I don't think you'll notice the Purevideo when watching movies or even HD content, I'm sure it's marginally better but I wouldn't put to much weight on that aspect in deciding which card to buy.

That's exactly it, I don't know which one would be better overclocked, I think that's something you're going to have to dig up on other forums/sites because I haven't seen too many comparisons.

As for the power supply, it is an older unit with a large bulk of the current rated for the 3.3 and 5v lines, although the 12v line still has 33amps available for it. The 8800GTX has a 32A recommendation with the rest of the system loaded, so your power supply should be good. If it works, it works, if it doesn't then get a new one or RMA if it's under warranty. Finally, I don't think you'll notice the Purevideo when watching movies or even HD content, I'm sure it's marginally better but I wouldn't put to much weight on that aspect in deciding which card to buy.

I take then that you are recommending the 8800gtx?

Is the heat really a concern with my system and the 8800gtx?

How noisy is the 8800gtx in comparison to the 9800gtx?

Thanks again!
-Jester

So does anyone else have anything to add?

Please help me with this if you can. I really would like to purchase a card by tomorrow...

-Jester

i just bought the 8800gtx and couldn't be happier . It does heat up my around the pci slots but my cpu temp doesn't seem to be really affected

I say get the 9800GTX. Why? I just looked at [H]'s review again and it's as good as the GTX while having much more overclocking headroom and it is cooler and requires less power. Go for it! With the cash saved I would probably get a Thermalright HR-03 ( whichever one that fits the 9800GTX) and overclock that badboy.

8800GTX or 9800Gx2 but only the first is in the budget.
9800GTX is just an OC:ed 8800GTS 512 that can do tri Sli and OC a bit more but for premiumprice and not worth the money.

So does anyone else have anything to add?

Please help me with this if you can. I really would like to purchase a card by tomorrow...

-Jester

I have the 37" westy as well, and a G92 GTS.....wonderful! Except for the aforementioned Crysis, Cod4 and other games are GREAT....I play with either 2x AA or none, depending on the game....for example, CoD4 on a crowded server, 4x AA is just too much, I am an old school gamer and quite frankly, I hate anything less than ~50fps......

If your buying new, theres no reason to get the 8800GTX, I stepped up from 8800GTX to 9800GTX and the 9800GTX is faster than my 8800GTX at every resolution and in every benchmark i've run so far and they run much cooler to boot. That is with a mild OC on the 9800 as well and max OC on the 8800 so things are only going to get faster once I get the 9800 Maxxed out.

9800GTX is just an OC:ed 8800GTS 512 that can do tri Sli and OC a bit more but for premiumprice and not worth the money.

Yes, I have heard this from some, but can the GTS OC to the same levels of the 9800gtx or 8800gtx?

I have read how the 9800gtx can OC like mad and in most cases surpass the 8800gtx. On the other hand, I have yet to find a review of a GTS being OCed to surpass the 8800gtx or an OCed 9800gtx.

If you can answer my question - that would really help my budget!!

-Jester

correct me if im wrong but the 88gtx doesnt support vp-2 and the other cards do, just a thought as OP mentioned hd content. you can always buy the gts from evga and step up to the 98gtx if needed. just my 2 cents

Yes, I have heard this from some, but can the GTS OC to the same levels of the 9800gtx or 8800gtx?

I have read how the 9800gtx can OC like mad and in most cases surpass the 8800gtx. On the other hand, I have yet to find a review of a GTS being OCed to surpass the 8800gtx or an OCed 9800gtx.

If you can answer my question - that would really help my budget!!

-Jester

Not without voltage modifications can a typical 8800GTS overclock to the extent that the GTX can.

correct me if im wrong but the 88gtx doesnt support vp-2 and the other cards do, just a thought as OP mentioned hd content. you can always buy the gts from evga and step up to the 98gtx if needed. just my 2 cents

I seccond this point, if the system is going to be used for hd-dvd/blu-ray, having the latest pure video support of the 9800gtx would be nice. I currently use a 8800gts512 on a sony 40" 1080p lcd with a acer 24" lcd secondary, and i find it annoying that aero/dreamscene are shut off whenever i play a hd-dvd.

NVIDIA said:
Adds new PureVideo HD features for GeForce 9800 GX2, 9800 GTX, and 9600 GT:
Dynamic Contrast Enhancement
Dynamic Blue, Green & Skin Tone Enhancements
Dual-Stream Decode Acceleration*
Microsoft Vista Aero display mode compatibility for Blu-ray & HD DVD playback*

Yes, that is what I was thinking too! Thanks for the thought of GTS then step-up to 9800gtx if needed. The only thing wrong with that is that I planned on using my step-up for either one the the new released cards this summer, or whatever top of the line card available at the time - 9800gx2?

I guess, I am beginning to talk myself into the 9800gtx, especailly since the 8800gtx deal is dead. I guess I can't complain about $279.99 + shipping....

-Jester

I seccond this point, if the system is going to be used for hd-dvd/blu-ray, having the latest pure video support of the 9800gtx would be nice. I currently use a 8800gts512 on a sony 40" 1080p lcd with a acer 24" lcd secondary, and i find it annoying that aero/dreamscene are shut off whenever i play a hd-dvd.

Yeah, that what I was afraid of with the GTS. I am going to be using my system for both games and HD, so the 9800gtx is looking more appealing.

Thanks for the input! - Probably going to go for the 9800gtx deal tonight!

-Jester

I recently being studying this subject:

8800GTS (G92) 0r 8800GTX(G80)?

Conclusion depending on your monitor and on which res you prever your game?

At resolutions of 1920x1200 the GTX simply is the better choice cause especially in the average FPS at highres the GTX is to gain from it's 384 bit which can make the difference in running smooth or hackel in the low FPS on the peaky OCt GTS.

Even against the 9800GTX at highres the 8800GTX keeps being master of it's domain.

GTX could be your best for your buck soon if you can get it for the right price.

I recently being studying this subject:

8800GTS (G92) 0r 8800GTX(G80)?

Conclusion depending on your monitor and on which res you prever your game?

At resolutions of 1920x1200 the GTX simply is the better choice cause especially in the average FPS at highres the GTX is to gain from it's 384 bit which can make the difference in running smooth or hackel in the low FPS on the peaky OCt GTS.

Even against the 9800GTX at highres the 8800GTX keeps being master of it's domain.

GTX could be your best for your buck soon if you can get it for the right price.

It's simply not true LOL people just assume this because the 9800has a 512 frame buffer and 256 bus that the 8800 is better at higher res but it's not the case. I play all my games 1900x1200. i just stepped up from 2 8800GTX to 2 9800GTX SLi and I can assure you at every resolution at least up to the 1900x1200 (Highest I can run) the 9800GTX is faster. In Crysis I am now playing with most settings on very high 3 are still on high, forget which @ 1680x1050 Previously with the 8800's I could only turn a couple settings to very high everything else had to be high regardless if I ran at 1900x1200 or 1680x1050.
Now at 1900x1200 the performance is very similiar between 8800 and 9800 only way i can tell the difference is to run the Crysis benchmark 19x12 and the 9800 scores 1FPS higher than 8800 LOL

This is with a mild OC on the 9800GTX as well and max OC I use to run on the 8800's so there is still more headroom to gain performance, just waiting for Nvidia to fix the fanspeed bug on the 9800's to see how high they can go.

Cheers

Well, considering the old 8800GTX vs the new 9800GTX it's not bad from the old GTX.

I see the prices of the 9800GTX getting very close to the old 8800GTX so maybe it is a good time to say farewell to the old 8800GTX (snik.snik)

There must be more headroom in the G92 for OC vs the old G80 for sure ;)

If your going to stepup anyway might as well buy the 9800 as any new card that comes out will be more expensive than that so might as well enjoy the best for the time being. Basically the price is the same for both if your going to stepup.

Well jester55 you shouldn't be confused cause if you would have red the info you would have seen that:

The 8800GTX and the 9800GTX are very close not only in price now but also in FPS.
In the test that I have been reading the 8800GTX is a little the better.

(BTW I didn' presume anything bluehaze013 but simply deduct facts from specs.)
testonerd0.jpg

Source: http://www.legitreviews.com/article/610/1/

But in the experience from bluehaze013 you can read that the 9800GTX is a little better.

The GTS can come close at the 8800GTX and 9800GTX only in the low res and heavily OC't so forget about the GTS.

I think the 9800GTX is the best choice (also for the better OC on the G92) or mayby a 8800GTX best bang for your buck if it drops in price again but for now the 8800GTX and 9800GTX seem to be priced almost the same.

Read for OC on the 9800GTX:
http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=MTQ4MSw4LCxoZW50aHVzaWFzdA==

Well jester55 you shouldn't be confused cause if you would have red the info you would have seen that:

The 8800GTX and the 9800GTX are very close not only in price now but also in FPS.
In the test that I have been reading the 8800GTX is a little the better.

testonerd0.jpg

But in the experience from bluehaze013 you can read that the 9800GTX is a little better.

The GTS can come close at the 8800GTX and 9800GTX only in the low res and heavily OC't so forget about the GTS.

I think the 9800GTX is the best choice (also for the better OC on the G92) or mayby a 8800GTX best bang for your buck if it drops in price again but for now the 8800GTX and 9800GTX seem to be priced almost the same.

Read for OC on the 9800GTX:
http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=MTQ4MSw4LCxoZW50aHVzaWFzdA==

That's what I needed to hear!

I just wanted to make sure I was reading right that the GTS would not be the greatest at that resolution. Call me being cheap, I was just seeing if I can save a few clams with the GTS, until I step up. I have a wife and two kids under 2, so every dollar helps. After I step up this summer, I probably want be able to upgrade again for a couple years.

Plus, a 9800gtx or 8800gtx will keep the step-up cheaper. The 8800gtx sounds great, but it seems like it can be loud due to the heat and extra fan rpm you need to keep it cooler. Not to mention it looks like it won't be dropping a whole lot more than the $269.99 after MIR deal from ZipZoom that is sold out. Just saying that cause I think they will sell-out everywhere before the price drops lower! Not to mention I am not sure of they will get more in or not. It has already been deactivated at NewEgg, which leads me to believe that vendors will begin cleaning house of the 8800gtx for the next wave in GPUs from nvidia this summer. Just my opinion of course.

I know, I know, I am just rambling! Obviously, I just need to the pull trigger and buy the 9800GTX and be done with it! It runs cooler, more efficient (especially with my OCZ PowerStream 520W PSU), and runs very similar and better at times than the current top-dog single card solution - 8800GTX (I know the 9800GX2 is a single card, but it is still sli IMO!)

Thanks again for all the great help! When I get my rig going I will report back to this thread on how it all runs!

-Jester

testonerd0.jpg

Also, assuming I am going to OC the 9800GTX, the only time I am going to lose to the the 8800GTX is at 1900x1200 16AA. And, it is only around a 1FPS loss! I dare say that I can pretty much have everything I need in power, efficiency, and silence - by going with the 9800GTX! I think I can live with that loss...:D

Dammit. I basically payed $600 for only 20 FPS over SLI 8800's.
Yeah, but at what resolution did you gain that 20FPS? If it was at 1900x1080/1200, and you had the gain in more power hungry games - then that sounds pretty good in some ways!? Plus you will be ready for any new games coming out for a little while.

-Jester

Well, I finally bit! :D

I have a brand new EVGA 9800GTX coming from the egg! Not bad for $279.99 plus shipping after Promo Code EMCAEBJAJ!

Anyway, thanks for all the advice guys! Now it's time for the shipping waiting game!:cool:

-Jester

Back