8800gtx vs 8800gts 640

200mg

Limp Gawd
I just received my abit ip35 pro/q6600/4gb xms and now I need a new vid card for this setup.

I've been reading countless reviews on both the 8800gtx and the 8800gts 640. I have a 22" viewsonic that does 1600x1200 so I think that knocks the gts 320mb out of the decent choices.

Has anyone owned both these cards(gtx, gts640?). And did you see real world differences when compared? I understand that the gtx can get 25+ more fps in games that I play, but if I can get 60-70 with the gts I would be happy. At the same time I want to be able to play crysis with at least decent settings, maybe not max, but highish settings at least.

As I've said before, get the fastest card you feel you can afford. Most benchmarks paint a fairly similar picture: the GTX typically provides significantly better performance that'll translate to better playability. With 32 more SPs, it'll also scale somewhat better in shader-intensive games like Crysis. That being said, I don't think the GTS is going to perform poorly in Crysis, but you just aren't going to be able to up the eye candy as much as you'd be able to with the GTX.

If Crysis is the end-all-be-all for you, it might make a lot of sense to wait until we start seeing performance evaluations with the demo. We should start seeing those in a couple weeks.

I'm running the same res and wish I had the cash for an Ultra or SLI, if that gives you any idea. Granted, I am much more demanding than most -- anything less than max settings at native resolution is unacceptable. I'm not nearly as AA addicted as many around here, though.

Your budget plays the biggest part, really I don't think you will be playing Crysis @ med-high settings @ your resoloution with a GTS.

Your budget plays the biggest part, really I don't think you will be playing Crysis @ med-high settings @ your resoloution with a GTS.

Drop that sucker down to 1280x1024 and he should be able to do max settings with a 640GTS. -That is of course according to Cevat himself, so wait 2 weeks for the demo and then see what the impressions/benchmarks say as the deciding factor. If you don't feel like waiting, go for your hearts desire :p. I'm waiting to try out on my rig to see if I need to buy a quad core or not (doubtful I will need to).

Back