• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

8800GTX too hot?

BTK17

Weaksauce
Joined
May 20, 2007
Messages
102
I got an 8800GTX and have it running stable at 610/1566/1000

My concern is it's too hot when it shoulden't be.

First thing I did was take off the cooler and apply AS5 to the core and re-use the thermal pads.

I also did a fan mod basically exactly like this but I didn't take off the plastic. (This is NOT mine)

36867789lc7.jpg


I am using the two stock fans from my CM690 case for the fan mod>. My airflow setup is good.

I have

Two Thermaltake 78CFM 2200RPM Top Exhaust
Tuniq Tower 120 with Scythe Kama 120 88CFM 1800RPM
Silverstone FM121 110CFM 2500RPM Rear Exhaust
Scythe Slipstream 78CFM 2000RPM Bottom Intake
Tuniq Tower Stock Fan Top Right Intake
CM690 Stock Fan Bottom Right Intake
Side Panel CM 690 Stock Fan Exhaust
Then the fan mod for the GTx I showed.
PSU Intake----->Exhaust

----------------
My cpu loads around 50C and I have good airflow but my GTX is loading at 82c even with the fan @ 85% in Rivatuner?

Is this normal?
 
OCed on air with the stock cooler and a couple of fans, 85C isn't all that crazy, depending on what kind of load you're talking. ATItool furry cube load? Crysis at very high at reasonably high resolution?
 
ati tool artifact scan

just thought with my airflow it might be better?

or is my temp fine i dont know
 
so I should still keep my fan mod on right even though its not an uber fans like in the rest of my case it should help some right
 
Firstly you may be doing more harm than good by removing the shroud on the 8800GTX.

Secondly applying Arctic Silver 5 to your GPU isn't the best idea in the world. Despite Arctic Silver's claims of not being electrically conductive, it IS slightly electrically conductive and capacitive right out of the tube. When aged it becomes even more electrically conductive. If this electrically conductive thermal paste gets into the wrong paste it can cause a short between two of the wrong points and ruin your expensive graphics card in the blink of an eye.

Also the 8800GTX cooler is designed with a thick thermal interface material in mind, even for the GPU. The typical super thin coating of Arctic Silver may not allow for proper interface between the GPU and the cooler itself causing warmer than usual core temperatures.
 
one AS5 is fine for a g80 a lot of people have done it

and my temps were above 90C with the stock stuff

and i didn't aply so much to where it could overflow

i did a bit more than i would on a cpu about 2 grains of rice

and the hsf down and spread it

there is NO WAY at all it could overflow

and im under warranty anyway
 
I use two 120mm Scythe SSFF21F's mounted vertically blowing over my GTX's. (as intakes through the side cover)

Your temps seem the same as stock without any increased air flow over a stocker's temps.
Mounting two fans as you have with the stock fan/shroud might actually hinder the stock cooling instead of improving it.

I never use AS5. I use Arctic Silver Ceramique.
 
I went through all this with my 8800GTX.

I put Arctic Silver on my GPU and that made no difference.
I removed my fan shroud and stuck a fans on the heat sink and that really didn't seem to help.
Putting a slot exhaust fan right below my 8800GTX only helped my motherboard temps, it was dumping some heat from the side vents and heating up my southbridge chip.
Also played around with fan profiles, running the fan full speed all the time, etc without satisfactory results.

But no home made solution seemed to keep my temps from hitting about 82C.

I finally threw it the towel and bought an HR-03. What a huge improvement. It now idles around 45C and under a ATItool artifact scan only gets up to about 62C.


8800gtx-w80mm.jpg


hr03-2.jpg
 
I finally threw it the towel and bought an HR-03. What a huge improvement. It now idles around 45C and under a ATItool artifact scan only gets up to about 62C.
I used a HR-03 Plus up until I got my second GTX and had to revert to stock for the space. :(
 
First thing I did was take off the cooler and apply AS5 to the core and re-use the thermal pads.

So you now have both AS5 and the standard thermal pad between the GPU and the HSF? That doesn't make sense as the pad will act as an insulator...?
 
So you now have both AS5 and the standard thermal pad between the GPU and the HSF? That doesn't make sense as the pad will act as an insulator...?

No -- he put AS5 on the GPU itself, and left the thermal pads on the RAM and VREGs, as the gap between the heatsink's surface and those components is too large to use paste with the stock heatsink.
 
Consider this. It dropped the temps on my GTX 20 degrees under load. Currently I run about 40c running 648/1620/1053 with a 1920v1200.

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/7...orce_8800_Ultra_GTX_GTS_G80.html?tl=g40c21s66

Nah I would avoid that. Someone from OCforums put that on his 8800GTX and the card would turn on and but was in a graphical coma (if that makes any sense)

Best bet if you have the room get the Hr03 or probably add a side fan. That accelero doesn't look safe.
 
Back
Top