8800GTX + Sony TV problem.

unfortunateson

Limp Gawd
I plug in my sony bravia tv, and it shows all the POST and boot information, but after that, the screen blanks. Nothing shows, regardless if I am trying to boot into windows or even boot from the Windows install cd.

But if I plug in an old 1280x1024 display, it boots into windows just fine, and I can enable the bravia monitor and use it without a problem. But any time I boot without the standard display plugged in at the same time, the same thing happens on the bravia: blank screen after boot.

My video card is a ZOTAC 8800gtx. I have had no problems using the bravia with my old EVGA 7800gt.

Any suggestions?

i would get the rez at 800x600 on a monitor before connecting it to the tv. i've hooked up my sony tv before and i had the best results using dvi->vga.

My 8800GTX use to do the same thing..it would show the post on the TV, then after it booted into windows and it would switch to the monitor....

I cant remember how I fixed it.....but it was a setting in the Nvidia control panel...

But the problem isn't specific to windows. The Windows logo boot screen doesn't appear. Neither does the standard blue dos'ish setup menu appear if I attempt to boot from the windows CD.

To recap: If the Bravia is plugged into the primary input, all goes blank after the bootup sequence. If I plug it in as secondary, and plug in a standard monitor to the primary, windows will boot on the primary and I can enable the Bravia during the session. I have tried everything I could think of, even flashing my video card bios, but nothing has made a difference.

But the problem isn't specific to windows. The Windows logo boot screen doesn't appear. Neither does the standard blue dos'ish setup menu appear if I attempt to boot from the windows CD.

I understand that.....its because after post, when windows loads, its switching to a display that's not hooked up.....hence when you hook up your other monitor, it works fine.....

Again, I fixed mine with a setting in the Nvidia control panel...... I'm not at home to see what it is, but its in there.....

but that is not what happens, if I have the bravia as the primary and a regular monitor as secondary, the primary screen goes black after booting, and the secondary never turns on at all.

but that is not what happens, if I have the bravia as the primary and a regular monitor as secondary, the primary screen goes black after booting, and the secondary never turns on at all.

Ill look at my settings when I get home tonight, and PM them to you ..maybe they will help...maybe not.:p

Thanks, but I must say, its very odd that the bravia wouldn't even show the primitive setup screen on the installation cd while it shows all the boot information and ASUS splash screen just fine. Quite a conundrum.

I had the exact same problem and got it fixed.

I had to install teamview (free) to remote into my machine on the tv. It had Vista 64 Premium and did not have the WinRDP in it. The PC only saw the TV as a second monitor even though there was no other monitor connected. I had to go to display properties and extend the desktop to the "2" monitor (TV) and then make it the primary desktop. This cut out the monitor that I had set the pc up on entirely. I had to make sure that the settings were set to 1920x1080 at 60 hertz. That worked well. It took me a long time to get that working. My old Westinghouse worked without doing this, but the Bravia is only seen as a second monitor until told to make it primary.

There is a known problem with the 8800s and Sony TVs. With the TV plugged in the computer wont boot. My 8800gt and my Sony XBR does the same thing. What I do, which sucks but, is set the TV as the primary and when Im done using it I turn the TV off like normal but before I turn it back on I unplug the DVI cable then turn it on. After I know the computer has booted I plug it back in and the screen comes up.

You probably need a HDMI cable. I've had a similar problem like yours before, a VGA port to the TV doesn't work because of the higher resolution.

You probably need a HDMI cable. I've had a similar problem like yours before, a VGA port to the TV doesn't work because of the higher resolution.

I'm already using a DVI->HDMI cable.

There is a known problem with the 8800s and Sony TVs. With the TV plugged in the computer wont boot. My 8800gt and my Sony XBR does the same thing. What I do, which sucks but, is set the TV as the primary and when Im done using it I turn the TV off like normal but before I turn it back on I unplug the DVI cable then turn it on. After I know the computer has booted I plug it back in and the screen comes up.

heh, I'm thinking that would probably work, but for a HTPC, I'm thinking it's too much effort to do everytime I cycle the power. Seems sad that older hardware has no problem supporting this television that is only a year old. I guess I'll just stick to my 7800gt in my HTPC for now. :mad:

maybe a cheap dvi or hdmi switch (like from monoprice) would do the trick then (just switch it too an empty selection and then switch back to the TV once its booted).

I wonder if somehow you could make the computer not see that its a TV it would fix your problem, I know my 4870 acts differntly when it knows its hooked up to my 720P projector than if its hooked up to a monitor.

It sounds like the TV can't handle the low resolution of the boot screen over HDMI though. It sounds silly but did you try turning off the splash screen?

I'm telling you all, the issue is not with any cables or ports. The issue is the tv comes up as a second monitor only, until you get in while connected to the tv for display only and then change it to primary display.

My 46" PC port works with all subscribed res's in the manual.

are you using the ati dvi to hdmi converter? i used this on my nvidia card and it did the same thing as what your saying. i could see the post but that would be it.

I had the problem with all the connectors/cords until I got in through teamviewer. I used the DVI to VGA adapter to get it going on the PC port on the tv, and now I have it coming out HDMI from the cardto HDMI on the TV. It is a a DVI/HDMI card. 7600GS.

Back