8800GTX PSU Question

wubbie412

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jan 3, 2007
Messages
158
Is 800watt enough for Two 8800 GTX and a Intel Quad x6700?

Cuz its starting to worry me for some reason that its not enough... or am i just being melodramatic and worrying over something i shouldnt worry about?
 
I've only heard of people running Dual GTX's with a 1000w PSU. But, I can't see why 200w would make a huge difference. It might, but I think that as long as you have a well rated power supply, you shouldn't have much of a problem.
 
I run the rig in my sig with a 520W OCZ powerstream. I have 3 HDD's, 2 optical drives, a single 8800GTX, and an OC'd E6600, a couple case fans, and a VFD Display. I have no problems. I think you'd be ok.
 
lol i dont like that calculator i got everything in my sig running on a 480w psu and it says in i need a 609w :S.
 
^^ The calculator assumes maxed EVERYTHING, power wise.

You can get it running on less, but I guarentee you you start running everything in your comp at 100%, it'll fail.

This is just a guide to make sure you get more than enough power.
 
i can do prime 95's , transfer files , auto play stuff in my dvds , play music oh and run rthdribl or the ati spinning cube thing to max my card as well and it does not fail so i guess your guarentee was wrong :p. Not sure what else i can do . i got a fan controller and put em all up to full as well and everything still goes fine..
 
^^ The calculator assumes maxed EVERYTHING, power wise.

You can get it running on less, but I guarentee you you start running everything in your comp at 100%, it'll fail.

This is just a guide to make sure you get more than enough power.

That calculator is off for more reasons thatn just that.


Though how would one utilize everything at once, at full tilt ;)
 
Silverstone Strider. The zeus is a higher quality unit, but this one serves me just fine. :)
 
That calculator is off for more reasons thatn just that.


Though how would one utilize everything at once, at full tilt ;)

Even then, it's not really a bad thing. Overexagerating the power needed means that if you follow its advice, you'll have more than enough power for the future. It's win-win.
 
Even then, it's not really a bad thing. Overexagerating the power needed means that if you follow its advice, you'll have more than enough power for the future. It's win-win.

Or you severely over buy a PSU that isn't balanced for your system.
 
Or buying one of the crappy psu's that have high voltage but low amperage ratings.
 
ok, so i guess im okay. well thanks. seems like my BFG 800w psu would def. manage.
Thanks alot guys.\

then my next question is... why do they even sell 1000watt psu?
 
ok, so i guess im okay. well thanks. seems like my BFG 800w psu would def. manage.
Thanks alot guys.\

then my next question is... why do they even sell 1000watt psu?

Because people will buy it of course :D
 
Back
Top