8800GTX No signal problem! Need Help.

allencc3

n00b
My sis brought me a sweet pc that someone forgot behind. She says it was working when the guy left it however she unplugged it and left it in the corner for 6 or 7 months. I was shocked to see what was under the hood of this thing. Its a beauty and a beast. Parts include: ThermalTake MozartTx case, EVGA nf68 T1motherbard, Albatron 8800gtx, Antec 750W PSU, 2 WD 750GB HDDs, 2 sticks of OCZ DDR2 9200 1GB, and a water-cooled Intel E6600. I was happy for the free PC but I am getting no signal on my monitor(LCD or CRT). I have ruled out ram cuz I have tried 1 stick at a time in each slot and even the stick from my dell. However, I do get a long beep when I cut this thing on. I get the same LED codes on the MB every time. First its 75, then 7F. No Floppy installed and many get the 7F for this reason. Someone told me to just push F1 to continue and I did. Now I get FF which should mean everything is OK. I have reseated card and checked to see if it had all necessary plugs from PSU. The fan comes on on the 8800gtx but I get no signal. I reset CMOS over and over but still the same thing. I need some suggestions from you guys. I have not tried another card because I don't have access to one. Friday I will go get a cheap PCI video card to check BIOS settings Because someone suggested that the BIOS could be using PCI slot for initial video. I downloaded the MB manual and the option is there. However I cant get into BIOS to change it. Please help.

Nobody leaves something like that behind for "free." Who knows what's wrong with it. It was a windfall, so spend money and take it to a local computer shop and let them figure it out, since they can swap parts out.

That mobo is a 680i. It probably killed itself in shame. I've had the same behavior also after frying a CPU by not having one end of the HSF clamped down all the way, partially smoking the chip. Getting 75 then 7F (ide issue, post error) maybe a disk issue. My boxes all boot up anyway even if the thing is set to PCI (which is default, isn't it?). If nothing is in PCI, then it looks at PCI-E.

Alternatively, the EVGA site lists this FAQ: Upon boot up of my computer, I get no video signal to my monitor and get only a black/blank screen. How can I resolve this?

Maybe it's a bad slot also. Maybe something dripped on the video card or mobo. Maybe the power supply is toast. Spend $75 and let someone else figure it out. At worst you're out $75 + a new component... still cheap for a whole rig.

The beep code suggests a video problem of some form.
This will most likely be down to not getting enough power (faulty PSU or bad connection) or a faulty card.

If not, possibly the ram cant run at the default speed of the motherboard at the default 1.8V.
I've had similar.
Try some other ram known to run at 1.8V with the default FSB of the CPU.

The PCI card setting in the CMOS only matters if you have a PCI graphics card installed.
If you only have a PCI-E card installed, it will automatically use it correctly.

I would like to thank you all for your suggestions. I kinda figured it was video but I am kinda in denial about it because it costs so much. I plan on buying a 8800gts or 9600gt if it is bad. I just want to save the card. I would rather the MB bad and spend money on the new board.I tried 2 of the PCI-E slots, but not the third. Guess I will try the third today. I will also go get a PCI card today just to see if it is indeed the 8800. I really dont need all of the parts, cuz I wanted to upgrade my current PC. Thank god for all these free parts. The hard drives are OK. already checked. I also checked ram and its fine. With all my builds, my no video problems always led to video card. Possibly the PSU also. But will start from video card and work my way from there.

Ok, I got PCI card today and everything works fine except 8800gtx. I checked voltages on PSU and a few were a lil bit under: 5v was 4.93 and 3.3v was 3.28. So I guess its either PSU or 8800gtx. I get one long beep.

Only way to find out is try another known good PSU or try the card in another system capable of powering it.

I would try one of the other outputs on the card. I've seen a few cards where the DVI out fried, but the VGA out - 15 pin still worked.

This would most likely mean that the lead that gives the monitor an "active" signal is probably bad. With a little bit of searching, I bet you could find out how to make the monitor think it is getting a signal.

http://www.theavguide.co.uk/view_page.php?page=34

Me thinks that it might be the +5 or +5v ground.

Have you tried a different cable or a DVI to vga adapter?

What about resetting the BIOS via the jumper.

going to 7F and then having to hit F1 to continue and it getting FF means the board is seeing everything as being good. It really sounds like the vid card isn't giving the monitor the active signal.

Where do you live? If you're local to Cleveland I will put the card in my PC and see how it does.

i tried another cable and a dvi adapter and also both outputs on the back of the card.The beep last for like 0ne second. Everything in the bios looks good according to the PCI card. Nice loot, I would say hellava nice loot. I booted all the way into windows xp but sure does look ugly with a 2mb pci card. I killed the 7F halt with the BIOS. It was halting on floppy. but i disabled floppy. ben chi- where you at? I am in DFW area. Texas if you dont know. Another thing, my sis said it was working when the dude got kicked out. She said he was playin world of warcraft like 24/7. So he left, they unplugged it and it was sitting in the corner for like 7 months. So why would the videocard not work anymore. And also, if it could be the PSU not giving enough power, what is a good PSU to get? I need one with 2 4pin cords for the 8800gtx. If i dont get it workin, I will probably go with a 9600gt or 8800gts. Do you guys think I can rma it if it aint workin? I mean albatron offers a three year warranty. I dont have a receipt but I know it aint been out for three years. I got the serial.

Back