8800GTX gift from Mr. Nvidia!!!

kuyaglen

[H]F Junkie
Long story short:

I went to Nvidia's Reality tour event in Silicon Valley.
Jen-Hsun Huang shows up and buys 2 8800GTX's and a 680i mobo for his daughter.
I go over to say hi (and hopefully a get a 2nd picture) and ask about his purchases and recommend Zalman 9700.
Fry's upper store management radio's someone to bring him a 9700.
For staying up for 42 hours at Geforce lan and comming down to the tour event he asks the counter person for one more 8800GTX, and buys it as a gift for me.

jen-hsun_rocks.jpg

Last edited:
Wait so he is the co-founder of Nvidia but he needs to wait until the release date to buy his company's products?

mike686 said:
Wait so he is the co-founder of Nvidia but he needs to wait until the release date to buy his company's products?

i was wondering this also,

but anyways you are a lucky bastard :mad:

mike686 said:

Well, some Sony executive claimed that his kids don't get a PS3 until they can find one in the stores. They do it to make themselves look like they care about their customers when there are shortages.

That doesn't really explain the 8800's since those aren't in short supply, but perhaps it's along the same line.

mike686 said:

I suppose since they were for his daughter...maybe he waited until they came out to upgrade her rig for some reason? A good question, though.

mike686 said:
Maybe alittle thing called "not hording your own products thereby screwing the customer?"

Either way it's pretty cool that he does that, if he didn't then Kuyaglen wouldn't have got a 8800GTX for free. Huang sounds like a really nice/cool guy. :)

well, you've restored my previous positive attitude to NV which i had been lacking since the shilling incident.

Very generous of him. Enjoy the card because as they say... the best things in life are free :D

You lucky bastard! Man, I knew I shoulda talked to him more. :(

All I won was a thermaltake toughpower 750w, zalman 9500, and a logitech g15.
wink.gif

CrimandEvil said:
Huang sounds like a really nice/cool guy. :)

Nvidia had customized Coolermaster Stacker 830 rigs playing BF2142 for friendly tourney to demonstrate the capability of the cards. Three times during the day they had raffles to give away 8800GTS's. After Jen-Hsun left, the crew later got a call to give away the systems. 1 went to the store for display, 1 went to one dude I didn't meet/know and 1 went to a fellow clan member.

Core 2 Duo Extreme's with 1 8800GTX's, BF2142 never looks so good on the Dell 30's they had for the game displays.

1) Is that guy the current CEO of Nvidia?
2) Why does he have to actually pay for it? Waiting for the official release is one thing, but paying also? I mean, this can easily be included as a "perk" in his pay package...

I live pretty close to nvidia's HQ...how do I find out where they're holding events and such? I really wanna go out to them.

{NcsO}ReichstaG said:

http://www.nvidia.com/page/pg_20011011487525.html

{NcsO}ReichstaG said:
2) Why does he have to actually pay for it? Waiting for the official release is one thing, but paying also? I mean, this can easily be included as a "perk" in his pay package...

He said its more fun to shop and he was doing it with his daughter, plus I guess it also cuts down on paperwork and he gets to see how his people are handling the event.

He drove a black ferrari.

mr.nvidia buying a member a 8800gtx is like you buying your kid some candy in the 25 cent candy machine. That's how much money the guy has. :eek:

Naaaaaaaaaaaaah tell us the truth, he's your brother right?, no wait, you threatened to kidnap his children, you offered your heart for a transplant for his granma, you really recommended a Radeon 9700, you offered to take a bath and shave.

Really dude tell us the truth.

:D :D

{NcsO}ReichstaG said:
because when u can light 100's on fire all day, paying for a 600 dollar card is nothin at all

wow.. that's cool as hell. congratz... gah! my 8800gtx is stuck in hell at zzf.. :( I should just gone to freakin Fry's LOL

That's just amazing! If I had that kind of money, I'd probably try to do the same kind of stuff!

Oh man. Thats awesome! It would be honor enough for me to even meet him, but to get a $650 gift from him! Thats nuts! You are AWESOME dude!

Yeah, it would really be amazing to meet him. And it's really cool to see someone in his position do things like that, kind of restores your faith in people.

Russell said:
Well, some Sony executive claimed that his kids don't get a PS3 until they can find one in the stores. They do it to make themselves look like they care about their customers when there are shortages.

That doesn't really explain the 8800's since those aren't in short supply, but perhaps it's along the same line.
Just don't tell anyone about it.

I would totally do that also if I were him.. hookin peeps up with the shiz.. that kicks ass! (had to pipe in again)

{NcsO}ReichstaG said:
I mean, this can easily be included as a "perk" in his pay package...

The question becomes: why should it be? Compensating him with cash instead of products makes his compensation more transparent. Transparency is good for stock holders and likely makes his income tax statement easier and also reduces the overhead of the company. While a little $650 video really isn't a big deal, it's the principle that counts. Simplifying (streamlining) the business operation reduces overhead and therefore increases the profits, which end up making the stock holders happy.

Plus: going out to go shopping is always fun :D

ps.: congrats Mr. Pr0n ;)

All over the news, people complain about CEOs giving themselves perks. And now this, and people ask why he doesn't give himself the perks?

:p

Maaaan... I wish a GTX would just fall out of the sky for me too... :(

Glen met Mr. Huang about half a dozen times now. Mr. Huang probably remembers Glen as the #1 Nvidia fan b/c he shows up to almost every event. With Nvidia cards in his rig.

Mr Huang bought Glen this card to show gratitude for loyal fans.

I think he runs a great company and has a big heart for fans.

Back