8800GTX freezes; high temps?

Rehevkor

[H]ard|Gawd
I have an 8800GTX (details in sig) that I've been using for a pretty long time now. Lately it seems like I'm having freezing issues in games more and more.

The odd thing about these freezes is that they seem to affect the video only. The audio and gameplay processing appears to continue uninterrupted. I can hit CTRL-ALT-DEL to break out of the game, then click its icon in the taskbar to get back in, and it starts working again. Of course, if I keep playing, it inevitably freezes again. I've seen this exact behavior in Borderlands, Sacred 2, Ghostbusters, and the Champions Online demo.

I've tried several different driver versions and pretty much every other typical fix for video issues and nothing works. The only idea I have left is that it may be overheating. Speedfan says the idle temp is 69C. Rivatuner reports 62C. After launching a game, looking around, and closing it immediately, Speedfan reported 74C. This doesn't seem that high, but maybe I'm wrong.

Does anyone have another idea of what could be causing these temporary freezes?

Uh, i think take that card out and blow out some dust, u will get a big suprise how much crap can sit inside.. that idle temp is way to high..

Have you recently updated your drivers lately? The reason I am asking is because my 8800GTX recently died shortly after I updated mine. It could have nothing to do with it, but after reading about possible hardware failure and new drivers, I am a bit leary.

Have you recently updated your drivers lately? The reason I am asking is because my 8800GTX recently died shortly after I updated mine. It could have nothing to do with it, but after reading about possible hardware failure and new drivers, I am a bit leary.

I did, and I also downgraded while trying to figure out the problem. This has been happening for a while though, I don't think it has anything to do with the drivers.

I bought xfx xxx was piece of crap to start so I took the cooler off and replaced it with thermaltake heat sinks and vga cooler fan and have had no problems not to mention a 20 degree drop. Crappy pads and cooler goop was the problem. Pads just slid off no effort. Anyways how I solved my 2 8800 gtx problems.

i found my gpu kept over heating so i went into the ntool and upped the fan speed had no problems since

Solution was to replace heatsinks and GPU Cooler. I had to get Thermalright cooler and heat sinks to solve my driver crashing problem. I had to XFX XXX cards and was factory overclocked and would not do the factory overclock. Try down clocking your card. If its goes away then you have a bad heat sink and/or bad Gpu cooler. I replace both and can now adjust fan span outside of case as well I had to give up two motherboard power fan controllers. SInce I re-did two 8800 GTX's. I tell you it dropped my GPU Temps 20 degrees Celcius. On far card and 15 near the CPU. It now can do factory overclock and more. Its XFX quality control. Yes, I can say that because both of 8800 GTX's had same problem until I ran reference speed. I shelled out another 200 bucks for after market cooler. I will never buy XFX card again. Evga for me. :). No I don't work for them.

Back