8800GTX electrical noise?

halcyon

Gawd
For any 8800GTX users out there, I bought a new mobo/cpu and am testing it on an open air bench, and have noticed that when I fire up anything intensive in the gpu department my card starts making these strange kind of electrical noises, i dont know how to explain them but my first thought was they were coming from the fan, however i temporarily stopped the fan and they continued... is this normal? or should the card be silent? Trying to decide if I should rma it or not.

Thanks!

For any 8800GTX users out there, I bought a new mobo/cpu and am testing it on an open air bench, and have noticed that when I fire up anything intensive in the gpu department my card starts making these strange kind of electrical noises, i dont know how to explain them but my first thought was they were coming from the fan, however i temporarily stopped the fan and they continued... is this normal? or should the card be silent? Trying to decide if I should rma it or not.

Thanks!

Some G80 cards do that under load--most threads I've seen trace the noise to the warning buzzer on the card that sounds when you don't have the extra power connectors attached. I don't remember if anyone has ever found a solution other than RMA'ing the card, but I also don't remember anyone saying that the card performed any worse for it.

Could also easily be a coil. Use a rolled up paper tube and try to figure out where the noise is coming from. If you don't want to bother with RMAing and the offending part is a coil try covering it in hot glue, as that should shut it up without damaging anything.

I had a buzzing noise coming from my 8800gtx, so I RMA'ed it and still had the problem. I turns out it was my PSU making the noise the whole time. I had an older version so I RMA'ed that and bought the newer version. No more noise.

I just received my EVGA 8800 Ultra last week and it too makes this horrid noise. Under any game it buzzes like crazy and seems to alter pitch according to what is going on on the screen. As FPS change, so does the pitch of the sound. The card performs great, it is just really noisy. You can hear it outside of the room and I have needed to turn up my speakers to compensate while playing a game. Bah.

RMA, as others have said, or look for the offending component and smother it in hot glue to muffle the sound.

I just received my EVGA 8800 Ultra last week and it too makes this horrid noise. Under any game it buzzes like crazy and seems to alter pitch according to what is going on on the screen. As FPS change, so does the pitch of the sound. The card performs great, it is just really noisy. You can hear it outside of the room and I have needed to turn up my speakers to compensate while playing a game. Bah.

Ya that was exactly what mine was doing, talk about annoying. It wasn't tied to my PSU either, I tried a different one just to make sure. I sent mine back yesterday, here's hoping I get one lacking this 'feature'.

Back