8800GTX case and PSU questions

bassman

[H]ard|Gawd
I've been itching to get one for awhile now, and now that Christmas is paid off I might go for it. The only problems might be my case (Lian Li PC-61) and my PSU (Antec TPII-550).

Has anyone installed an 8800GTX into a PC-61? How did it work out?

As for the PSU, I'm running an E6400 @ 3.2GHz, 3 hard drives, two optical drives, and an SB X-Fi with the front panel. I'm not going SLI and I don't plan to. Think I'll be okay with the TPII?

I purchased the TPII-480 as a temporary replacement for my PC P&C Silencer 610 that blew up 4 days after I bought it. It ran my rig fine for the 3 weeks or so it had to do it during the Thanksgiving RMA process.

Spectre said that the 480 was "close to maxed out" for my rig, per a PM he gave me two months ago when I was having the issues. I have 1 HDD, 1 DVD-RW drive, an 8800GTX, three 120mm fans and everything else listed in my sig. Feel free to interpret your results based on those.

Somewhere around here there's a calculator that'll tell you the minimum requirements you will need for your power supply, given the power specs on your hardware. Maybe someone will link it here to help you out as I can't remember, for the life of me, where it is.

I have an 8800gtx in a lian-li 6070B, no problem with the top slot.

I have SLI so the bottom card hit the divider/holder bracket in the HDD cage. I had to dremmel a slot to fit the card in, might be a problem if I had more than two HDD.

Your case should be fine. Its close on the PSU. Those GTXs love power.

I have a PCP&C 850Watt and I'm nervous.:D

Thanks for the info. I think I'll try it with my PSU, then get a new one if it can't handle it.

Just to follow up in case someone else has the same questions:

A single 8800GTX fits in the case. I doubt a second one will, but I don't know for sure because I don't have an SLI board. The power supply seems to provide enough power if I don't overclock my E6400.

Followup #2:

After upgrading my PSU to an OCZ 700W, I still couldn't overclock at all. After a BIOS update I was back to my 3.2GHz OC. I won't know if the old PSU was part of the problem because I don't want to tear the machine apart to put it back in. :p

Most PSU have the +12v rating numbers on their sticker. If you have only 1 12v entry it has to be 30 or higher. If you have more than one, they need to add up to 30 or higher.

In my PSU I have two +12v rails and each has 18 so that means I am 6 over the minimum requirements for the 8800gtx.

I would recommend you use 1 power plug from each of the 2 rails if you have two, that spreads the load better.

I would recommend you use 1 power plug from each of the 2 rails if you have two, that spreads the load better.

Thats not how dual rail PSU's work at all. One rail is for the mobo power connector and CPU one for the rest of your things. To do it like you said you need a setup with 3 or more rails.

Back