8800gtx Analog 2D Inferior to 7800gtx?

Hurin

2[H]4U
Hi All,

I've got a 24" Sony widescreen CRT (best monitor ever made as long as you don't mind the size/weight).

Of course, to use this monitor, I need to use the DVI-to-VGA adapter. I've tried both the adapter from my old 7800gtx as well as the one from the new 8800gtxes. In both cases, I'm getting ghosting at high resolutions (1920x1200) where there was none before (on the 7800gtx).

Same cable, same adapter, new video card. . . inferior results. At least in 2D. Haven't had a chance to test games yet.

I saw where some were getting blurriness with DVI. . . but this is with analog.

Isn't the card. I've got SLi. . . and after swapping the cards. . . no change. Even have a third 8800gtx (building for a friend). All put out the same ghosty image. It's not severe, but definitely not as crisp as 7800gtx.

Point of this: Can anyone confirm and/or explain? If not, just consider this an FYI for those of you with anaolog high-res monitors.

Just for kicks.....Did you try the drivers (Forceware 96.89) off the disk that came with your video card? The 8800 drivers on the nVidia website are suspect, in my opinion.

Will try the CD drivers some time in the next day or two.

Might be time to give up my flexible resolutions and ink-dark blacks. . . and go LCD. :(

there were other complaints about this also.. but with DVI.. the 97.02's seem to have some 2d blurriness with text.. I -think- just a driver issue.

did you try the DVI --> VGA adapter? maybe that's better than straight VGA? worth a try.

revenant said:
there were other complaints about this also.. but with DVI.. the 97.02's seem to have some 2d blurriness with text.. I -think- just a driver issue.

did you try the DVI --> VGA adapter? maybe that's better than straight VGA? worth a try.
You know I love ya, but this is covered in my original post. :p

H

I realized what was about to be said while I was waiting for the page to load.. lol. of course they're all DVI on the card so you had to.. and you had said that to boot.. *sigh* time for a time out. ;)

Hurin said:
I've got a 24" Sony widescreen CRT
I want one! (my 19" Philips CRT is now ashamed of its size :D , it is now collecting that spam emails promising a few inches more :p )

Hurin said:
... ghosting at high resolutions (1920x1200) where there was none before (on the 7800gtx).

It sounds worrisome… Maybe the new output chip is only optimized for digital output, causing overshooting at high pixel frequencies (good for sampled interfaces, but causing ghosting on analog ones).

Does ghosting alleviates when reducing vertical frequency (refresh rate) and, as a side-effect, reducing pixel frequency? By the way... which refresh rate supports your champion monitor at 1920x1200? and at 1024x768? (to compare whith my ashamed shorty Phil)

Maybe worth to test a different VGA cable (if you can change it) or simply add an VGA cable extender. This could slightly change the impedance and the resonances in the analog path, reducing (or augmenting) the ghosting.

Please, tell us the results. Little Phil and me are worry...

my card scared me at first, because I went into my bios and tweaked a couple things on fiest boot with it, and it looked very fuzzy and bad.. gah! but then went into windows and loaded up the 97.02's and everything looks perfect in 2d and 3d.. go figure! anyways..

revenant said:
my card scared me at first, because I went into my bios and tweaked a couple things on fiest boot with it, and it looked very fuzzy and bad.. gah! but then went into windows and loaded up the 97.02's and everything looks perfect in 2d and 3d.. go figure! anyways..

I'd love to know what you tweaked to get the 97.02's looking good in DVI

iam getting this to. my bios screen was the most noticable place i noticed this. it made it look like a jpeg picture with compression artifacts :(

iam running on dvi though

Back