• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

8800gtx > 5850

static21

Gawd
Joined
Aug 1, 2004
Messages
524
Huge upgrade with the PC in my sig? Trying to plan for BC2, right now it runs pretty terrible on my system (the beta). I want to play in 1920x1200 and hoping this would do that for me.
 
Huge upgrade with the PC in my sig? Trying to plan for BC2, right now it runs pretty terrible on my system (the beta). I want to play in 1920x1200 and hoping this would do that for me.

Well depending on your budget, you have 3 cards to choose from: ~280-310, get the 5850, a HUGE upgrade over the 8800GTX; ~380-430, get the 5870 an even bigger upgrade over the 8800GTX; ~660-720 get the 5970, an atom bomb of and upgrade, currently the most powerful card you can get.

All DX11 and eyefinity compatible, all a very good option to consider. Here in hopefully about a month (though i unfortunatley doubt it), we'll see something from Nvidia to throw a competition wrench into the gears of the videocard market. For now, if you want to upgrade, go with any of the three above. Some call the 5870 and 5970 overkill for that resolution but I am a big supporter of futureproofing. What is more than needed today may be less than needed tomorrow, its just how things work.

The best bang for buck however is the 5850, which can be overclocked very easy and perform rather close to a 5870.
 
wait until release date then buy a 5850 or 5830 (if it's out and decently priced)

should also wait to see if BC2 plays better with dual cores or not. there's speculation that performance with dual cores might improve. if not, then you'll probably still be annoyed with BC2 performance even with a GPU upgrade
 
I was planning on getting a 5850 at retail since thats right around my budget. slightly over infact, but i'll make it happen.
wait until release date then buy a 5850 or 5830 (if it's out and decently priced)

should also wait to see if BC2 plays better with dual cores or not. there's speculation that performance with dual cores might improve. if not, then you'll probably still be annoyed with BC2 performance even with a GPU upgrade

Are you saying if i had a quad core it would run much better? Or the beta just isnt optimized for dual core yet?
 
I was planning on getting a 5850 at retail since thats right around my budget. slightly over infact, but i'll make it happen.


Are you saying if i had a quad core it would run much better? Or the beta just isnt optimized for dual core yet?

I'm saying that if you upgrade the GPU, you might end up being CPU limited as a result. in the beta, there is a definite divide between quad core and dual core performance atm.
 
BC2 is almost always entirely CPU dependant even on semi-modern cards. LOTS of people with dual cores are having FPS issues but the game seems to cater very nicely to quads. The 5850 will be plenty of GPU power to max the game out even with AA/AF. I'm not sure about the CPU.

Heck, even the 8800GTX will run it at fairly high settings, though no DX11
 
Personally, if I had the money for a 5970 I would not get it. I'd go for two 5870's in crossfire. The 5970 struggles when a processor isn't overclocked and worse still it runs slower on most rigs. It could be the drivers but it's best to wait.

One review I saw the 5970 being beaten by the 5870.
 
Personally, if I had the money for a 5970 I would not get it. I'd go for two 5870's in crossfire. The 5970 struggles when a processor isn't overclocked and worse still it runs slower on most rigs. It could be the drivers but it's best to wait.

One review I saw the 5970 being beaten by the 5870.

The processor comment makes no sense. If the 5970 struggles, so will two 5870's. Two 5870's will be faster beucase they would be clocked higher and have better OC results, any CPU bottlneck that is present with a 5970 will be still be there with a faster 2x5870 setup. Now, with that said, even if dual 5870's would be faster, you're also looking at spending over $800 with that setup versus $650-700
 
Back
Top