• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

8800GTS

Rico1234

Weaksauce
Joined
Oct 25, 2006
Messages
79
Hi guys I just ordered an Asus 8800GTS card and I still have time to change my order seeing how it's not in yet and they are pretty flexable where i bought it. Basically I was wondering if i should keep the Asus or I was looking at the BFG 8800GTS that is overclocked from the factory at 575mhz compared to 500mhz(asus).
My last card was an ATI so i'm not really use to these cards but seems like they are one of the better cards to get. I wasn't sure to go with the BFG because i didn't know much about the company at the time but i see they have 24/7 support and lifetime warranty which is nice if you ever do need it.
The Asus is nice because you get Asus name and they are huge with i'm sure very good building materials etc where as BFG i don't know much about but seems lot of people have good things to say about them as well as Asus.
When i saw the BFG was overclocked stock i was wondering if they run a lot hotter and if that would be an issue due to the overclocking or if it would make they unstable etc?
I have never really cared much about the bundles they pack with it because i would rather a company put everything in the product then to pack a bunch of games and a hat almost like they are compensating for the lack of something lol but at the same time who doesnt like free stuff :p
Asus comes with few games and BFG comes with i think a t shirt and their "warranty"

Anyways guys any help with this would really be appreciated as it's a bit of money and i rather get the better one while i can, so if anyone has had Asus or BFG cards in the past or just have an opinion please let me know.
Thanks for the help guys :)

Rico
 
Go ahead if the $$ is the same or close. The Asus will OC to at least 600 though.
 
Thanks spaceman, I never overclocked a video card before so i wasn't sure if the factory overclock could be cranked up more then say the asus stock clock speed but sounds like they are the same card just different sticker :)
 
I've got the Asus version and as spaceman says, it overclocks really well.
 
I don't mean to hate on Asus, but I had a BFG Ti 4 4600 and their tech support was :) excellent, I never dealt with the other provider.
 
ya seems like there isn't really a bad choice between the two it's more of support and what kind of name you prefer. Is there a program that comes with the card to overclock ? also by overclocking the card does it void the warranty at all? i've never overclocked my card before but I would like to start to get into it a bit and don't want to go too crazy at first seeing how i learning still hehe.
I notice the GTX has a bit more memory and a bit faster clock speed etc is that much better then the GTS or pretty much the same card ? it's close to $300 more then the GTS so seems like a lot more for what you get really. I read some guy said the GTX is 10.75inches long , man that's crazy i have a Cooler Master (wave master) and it's what I think is a pretty big tower and I don't think i have 10.75 inches between my harddrives and the back of the case (lol had a tape meassure in there).
Thanks for the responses guys.
 
Yeah, the GTX are ridiculously HUGE. But as far as I know, you can overclock a 8800gts, and reach stock GTX speeds. Of couse, an overclocked GTX goes even faster. But still, I don't think the price difference justifies the performance gain.
About the card running hotter when you overclock it, the answer is YES. But you can always increase the speed of the fan with a program called RivaTuner.
About warranty, I believe you do void the warranty by overclocking. But I heard that EVGA is the only brand that doesn't void the warranty of you overclock.
You can overclock the RivaTuner as well, or with CoolBits I believe is called. An option that already comes with your video card software, but is hidden. You just need to unlock it.

Hope that helps.
 
I have the Asus 8800GTS overclocked to 600/900, it runs with no problems :)

I have an eVGA 8800GTS overclocked to 684/1026 and it runs no problems too. :)
ASUS, BFG, and eVGA are all great companies.

Just stick with your ASUS. ASUS is fine. :)

But as far as I know, you can overclock a 8800gts, and reach stock GTX speeds. Of couse, an overclocked GTX goes even faster. But still, I don't think the price difference justifies the performance gain.

I overclocked mine higher. :) The GTX has more memory and more stream processors though. It isn't all about clock speed.

But an overclocked 8800GTS can very easily meet up to a stock 8800GTX. :)
 
thanks odin and shining and nice stats shining :) pretty impressive. So basically from what i'm getting from people the Asus is fine and basically sounds like i can get the same BFG stats just by overclocking , so they both start out with the same hardware just the BFG and some other companies sell them a bit overclocked where asus makes you do the work if you want ? hmm seems to be not really worth it to justify the extra 40-50 bucks over asus to have them to do the clocking for you.
guys when overclocking do you adjust the voltage etc or is it just like turning up the core numbers ? never did it before so not really sure how it is.

The whole video card thing as well as a lot of computer stuff can get pretty crazy and easy to get caught up into wanting the top of line stuff but as much as i love having a jacked up system and its fun to build up a powerhouse, sometimes i wonder if it's really worth it i mean say i bought a GTX and yeah its a great card but expensive and i'm sure it would be able to play games fine for a few years anyways but i wonder if its not better to buy a bit lower end card like say a GTS and just upgrade it a year sooner or whatever i mean both pretty much can play all the games out there now without any lag im sure so that being said the only real reason to get say a GTX would be if you want it to last year or two longer before you upgrade.
I had my last card for 3 1/2 years and it was bad ass at the time (9800 xt) but until it started to have problems a week ago i could play every game i came across at full video settings and high res etc without any lag or noticable signs that it couldnt handle the games anymore so with an old card like that it just makes me wonder sometimes if all these high end cards are not a bit overkill and part of the industry brainwashing hehe.
That being said i enjoy the thought of dropping in a hardcore piece of hardware just to know you have the power, just like most you guys do im sure also but just makes you think i mean is having a high end card like GTX over mid to high GTS more just power we dont need and instead of having the vid card run at 50% it runs 75% but in the end doesn't it do the same job from the user stand point?
Guess you can't win because i'm a sucker for building pc's and throwing a blower under the hood lol.
 
You are fine with your GTS. Is better to not get the latest one, since you can still play games at max settings with what you have, and still have some money left for an upgrade later on down the road. I mean, the card won't be able to play games at max for 2 years, but maybe for 1. After that, new games are gonna come out that will drop even your GTS to it's knees. But that is normal. So yeah dude, keep what you have an overclock it whenever you see a game that plays not as smooth. And yes, you can overclock without voltage change. Check RivaTuner. or even AtiTool.
 
i got the asus overclocked to 600/900 got it up to 660/960 for benchmarks and ran stable and not that hot, and well the gtx is better than the gts in so many levels, look at benchmarks, the gtx is really something else.
 
ya don't get me wrong I am tempted to throw down the $270 extra and just get a GTX instead but that's a lot of cash and I still need to buy a power supply etc and wouldnt mind another 2 gigs of ram eventually so the extra money would come in handy for a psu etc but i guess its like that with everything doesnt matter what you buy there is always something better and something worse.
I was also a bit worried with the GTX because i hear people all the time talking about how much heat there is and how you need good circulation in the tower etc so my setup i don't have a lot of room in my desk so my computer sits fairly close to the wall with only a few inches from the psu fan outlet to the wall so i'm a bit worried about the heat issue and if its really that big of a deal or just blown out of proportion. I think for my cpu i will go with one of those zalman 9500 or 9700's so they seem to blow that big wheel towards the case outlet fan so hoping that is helps get more heat out of the case as well as cool the cpu but guess only time will tell.
As always thanks guys this forum is without a doubt the best of its kind around and no matter what your hardware issue there is a good chance it will be solved here :)
 
Back
Top