8800GTS vs GTX. Extra 200$ worth it?

"Worth" is highly subjective. I'd say if you planned on gaming at 30" LCD resolutions or larger, then yes. On a 20"...I'd go with the GTS. Thats not the BEST reasoning but it cuts to the chase.

Alright, I'll probably end up getting a 24", GTS for that too?

As long as I stay above 30FPS in heavily crowded areas in Oblivion (Which I play mostly), with full eye-candy I'm happy.

Edit - Which it seems alot weaker cards can do.

Oh well, DX10 and shiz.

If you are getting a 24 inch monitor then definately go with the gtx. If you buy the gts you'll just be thinking damn, I could've gotten the gtx for only $200 more.

Really depends how much you want to spend on it.

But after doing some reading myself, the $200 is worth it, given there are about 20%+ more unified shadars, so it gives a lot more headroom in the future. Along with the faster clock speeds and higher memory bandwidth + memory. Plus I really don't want to be upgrading that often, I hate doing baby steps.

If money isn't that tight jump the gun I say.

chanchan said:
Really depends how much you want to spend on it.

But after doing some reading myself, the $200 is worth it, given there are about 20%+ more unified shadars, so it gives a lot more headroom in the future. Along with the faster clock speeds and higher memory bandwidth + memory. Plus I really don't want to be upgrading that often, I hate doing baby steps.

If money isn't that tight jump the gun I say.

Mathematically, there are 33% more. :)

I think it depends on how frequently you upgrade. I upgrade once every 2 years. For me, the GTX is what I need since I don't want to be bogged down near the end of my upgrade cycle. If you upgrade less frequently, the 8800 GTS is definitely a fine choice.

I would highly recommend www.directcanada.com over NCIX. Much cheaper prices and free shipping to boot.

Thanks for this site! I'm surprised I didn't see it before, but its prices are great!

cantankerous said:
I would highly recommend www.directcanada.com over NCIX. Much cheaper prices and free shipping to boot.
I would love to use that site, but seeing as I am 16, it goes down the crapper. Does anyone else know a site besides NCIX that uses EBT as a method of payment? I love NCIX, but sometimes they are expensive and dont have very many products.

It's not worth the extra money. GTS' are highly overclockable. I have one and I get GTX framerates and benchmarks. Also, its far superior to my 7900 SLI set-up. GTX's are for suckers...

NCIX will pricematch anywhere within Canada that has a better price. If you like the prices on DirectCanada, price match with NCIX to those prices and voila. BTW, just to let you guys know, DirectCanada is owned and run by NCIX. It is a new sub division of them, just like Chiefvalue and Newegg are one in the same in the US.

Back