8800GTS video input?

Ron FTL

[H]ard|Gawd
Ok. This is a noob question but...

I have a ps2 that is collecting dust, and I have decided that I want to play it for a bit.
I PC game alot. I play on a Samsung 216bw 21.6' LCD monitor.
It has one VGA port and 1 DVI port.

I have a 3 prong video-to-S video adapter.

Is there any way I can make my 8800 GTS receive video input via S-video and send the video feed back to my monitor as VGA?

I know I could buy this switch board thing that will convert the PS2 3 prong video- to -DVI or VGA. But that is like $50. :eek:

I am looking for a fix for about $15.

Any input is appreciated. :)

no recent NVIDIA or ATI cards have video inputs. you wouldn't want to use it anyways, it would introduce an excessive amount of input lag which would make playing videogames unbearable.

the converter box sounds like the best idea, $50 is not that bad at all for a transcoder which I assume is what it's doing. do you have a link for the product you're thinking of?

This is much easier than proposed. I'm pretty sure you can just convert component to VGA rather liberally, as VGA is the exact same as component, but with added synchronization pins. I'm not sure if the monitor will work properly without any data being sent over the sync pins, but it's worth looking into. I'm sure monoprice must have some cheap adapters.

Ok. This is a noob question but...

I have a ps2 that is collecting dust, and I have decided that I want to play it for a bit.
I PC game alot. I play on a Samsung 216bw 21.6' LCD monitor.
It has one VGA port and 1 DVI port.

I have a 3 prong video-to-S video adapter.

Is there any way I can make my 8800 GTS receive video input via S-video and send the video feed back to my monitor as VGA?

I know I could buy this switch board thing that will convert the PS2 3 prong video- to -DVI or VGA. But that is like $50. :eek:

I am looking for a fix for about $15.

Any input is appreciated. :)

For a $15 fix you're pretty much looking at picking up a really cheap video input card (aka 'DVD Maker' cards). Using one of these can be tricky though because if you don't use the right software there will be too much lag to be able to play your PS2 through it.

My advice is to find a TV and use it. :p

My advice is to find a TV and use it. :p

Yea, I got a 6 tv's in my home as well as a 42' plasma.
But I spend most of my time on my PC. I play GTR2, Test Drive: Unlimited, Need for Speed: Pro Street, Dirt and may others on my PC, and they look great on the monitor.

I was just wanting to start to get back into Gran Turismo 4 and wanted to see if it would look as clear and smooth on my monitor.

But I don't think it is worth $50 to play a 4 year old ps2 game on my pc monitor. Thanks for all the input though.
I'm pretty sure you can just convert component to VGA rather liberally, as VGA is the exact same as component, but with added synchronization pins. I'm not sure if the monitor will work properly without any data being sent over the sync pins, but it's worth looking into.

I will definitely look into that.
So I gotta get component out cables from the PS2, then component to VGA adapter.
Hope that works out for cheap.

Thanks.
I got my question answered. :)

This is much easier than proposed. I'm pretty sure you can just convert component to VGA rather liberally, as VGA is the exact same as component, but with added synchronization pins.

Ah, no.

VGA is RGB (with various sync combinations such as RGsB, RGBHV, etc.). Video/S-video/Component use a different colourspace and conversion requires an active adaptor (EDIT: as Blahman notes).

Yeah that's why I said a $50 box is a great deal for something that can convert component to VGA or DVI. Normally VGA-component transcoders are like $150-200+.

Back