8800GTS slower than 7900GS

Arnge

Limp Gawd
WHat ?

my new 8800GTS 320 superclocked is way slower in most games " after changing drivers"

and in 3Dmark it only got about 900 more points.

is it bad or is my MOBO and Processor wayyyy bottle necking it.

ant it also runs at 63 core IDLE ?????????

is that normal.

What games, what 3dmark score, what drivers, did you run driver cleaner, etc etc etc...

FIFA 2007 NFSMW lost
planet

Drivers 162.18.

3DMARK 2005 score 7400 .

what else you wanna know.

driver issue like it usually is. Did you remove every bit of the old drivers? You didnt change your OS did you? These GPUs run hot and u should be scoring higher. All I can say with the information supplied. Or...it could be you're not supplying the card enough juice. U might think you are because of the past. So maybe PSU. Check settings to make sure vync and all that other limiting crap is off. You know, all the obvious things. BIOS setting too can sometimes fuck with things.

Can you elaborate on you processor? Why would you put that in your sig? Just reinstall drivers or go back to the old ones if they were working correctly. And use drivercleaner pro and see if that helps.

no i was thinking that my MOBO and processor are bottle necking it

at a friends home it did more than 10K on 3dmark 2005

Even though i doubt this myself.. ill say it none the less

are you sure your 8800gts isnt running only in 2d clock mode? it may stay in that mode if it doesnt have enough power as it wants.

but, i think it is a driver issue.. reinstall the drivers, and if that doesnt work.. reformat.

reformatting WILL fix the problem, but i can understand why you wouldnt want that

edit: if you have a C2D at 3.0 it is NOT bottlenecking the 8800gts unless its in a 1x, 4x, or 8x, PCI-E slot.

which would make your mobo the problem.

but not many mobos come without a 16x pci-e slot... so i think thats out too, post your system so we can make sure

it is not a C2D processor

it is a normal prescott 3.0 1MB cahce processor

a single normal shitty core.

and my mobo comes with a 16X PCI_E

Before anything I strongly recommend a reformat.
I almost guarantee its 16x if you were getting good speed on your old card.

Make sure you completely uninstall the old drivers in windows safe mode. The directions are stickied on this forum.

If it ran fine at a friends house then I guess that tells you the card is working good.

I can tell you that I have a 3.2GHz P4 that is limiting the 8600gts performance of my computer here at work. A 3.0GHz P4 is absolutely limiting the performance of your 8800gts... without a doubt.

As to the 8800gts running worse than the 7900gs. Well, are you actually running it at the same settings as the old 7900gs and it's running worse? That's hard to believe. Even if it's using an old driver I can't see how that's possible.

it is not worse , but not what i expected .

and is a dual core processer gonna make things better. ??

it is not worse , but not what i expected .

and is a dual core processer gonna make things better. ??

No, a dual core will NOT fix your problem. You need to run "driver cleaner" and maybe even do a fresh install of windows.

3.0ghz pentium 4 core. Yup... It's bottle necking a powerful card like 8800gts. I wouldn't stick a 8800gts on a 3.0ghz p4. That is old and ancient and behave like AMD 1.6ghz. Current CPU are like twice as fast and GTS would love it because of it's high fillrate and medium resolution.

He still got a increase in 3dmark 2005 which runs at 1024x768 which is low resolution with a slow processor which equates to low scores. Although 7400 in 3dmark 2005 is rather low for a GTS. I get over 11000 with puter on my sig.

I replaced my very voltmodded and overclocked 7900GS a few days ago.

With my very overclocked single core 3700+ cpu... I'm also bottlenecked - but not nearly that badly.

162.18 drivers:

7900GS @ 681mhz core - 3Dmark06 5003 marks
Aquamark3 - 100.9K trimark

8800GTS 320 OC (overclocked from 550 to 625mhz core) - 3Dmark06 7233 marks
Aquamark3 - 104K trimark

I ordered a 650i Ultra mobo and an e4400 C2D today as a result. ;)

so a new windows and a new driver, any other suggestions.

and would a dual core processor help.

so a new windows and a new driver, any other suggestions.

and would a dual core processor help.

Clean your old drivers if you didn't when you got the 8800! Did you??

And yes a better cpu would definitely help but you have another problem going on here..

No need to format, just use drivercleaner to remove the old drivers. That being said, the processor is probably holding you back somewhat. Also, did you force AA/AF in your Nvidia CP?

7900GS is not faster than the 8800 series. period. thread closed.

lol ,

anyways i am not forcing AA or AF

and i cleaned my drivers and installed a new one.

i think it is the MOBO and the processor.

could the MOBO be that weak , it is a 16 X PCI-E but still an entry level MOBO.

with no support for core2duo.

Get a new CPU that vid card is a waste with a p4 they don't even beat athlon 64s which are even considered quite slow these days

Stop feeding him with misinformation. His cpu sucks yes, but it doesn't suck so much that it would limit an 8800gts to a 7900gs. Hell, I don't think his cpu would limit him in resolutions less than 1600x1200. I'm still regretting my e6300 purchase since my prescott p4 w/ ht would still handle all my games at 1280x1024. Fuck the people who made me think it was a dinosaur holding me back from 20 more fps. It was more like 2 fps.

Should the OP see an improvement moving from a 7900GS to an 8800GTS? Yes. Very much? Based on my experience, posted above, and given that he has dramatically less cpu, he's definately cpu bottlenecked.

I haven't seen an up to date cpu scaling article for a bit, but I did read a good one or two when I was pondering moving from my old P4 2.8ghz box up to my current 3700+

Here, I dug them out:

http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2330&p=6

http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/half_life_2_cpu_shootout/page7.asp

These were run at 1600x1200 res on a range of cpus. The difference in fps from the lowest to highest is dramatic with the same video card. The difference in fps is even greater at lower resolutions - in some cases it's huge.

If you were to look at the Firing Squad link above, the OP's rig would fit on the bottom of the scale. Yes, the test is done with an 6800Ultra, but I imagine a better gpu like an 8800GTS would scale even higher if you throw more cpu capability at it.

I moved from the P4 2.8 to the 3700+ and had a large increase in fps with my old 6600GT - one similar.

My own recent experience moving from a 7900GS to an 8800GTS tells me that I am once more cpu bottlenecked. I can't overclock the cpu any further, and even though I have a dual core X2 coming, that won't help me much in single threaded games (and I probably won't be able to OC it as high as my current cpu). So I ordered a low end C2D parts yesterday.

Should the OP see an improvement moving from a 7900GS to an 8800GTS? Yes. Very much? Based on my experience, posted above, and given that he has dramatically less cpu, he's definately cpu bottlenecked.

I haven't seen an up to date cpu scaling article for a bit, but I did read a good one or two when I was pondering moving from my old P4 2.8ghz box up to my current 3700+

Here, I dug them out:

http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2330&p=6

http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/half_life_2_cpu_shootout/page7.asp

These were run at 1600x1200 res on a range of cpus. The difference in fps from the lowest to highest is dramatic with the same video card. The difference in fps is even greater at lower resolutions - in some cases it's huge.

If you were to look at the Firing Squad link above, the OP's rig would fit on the bottom of the scale. Yes, the test is done with an 6800Ultra, but I imagine a better gpu like an 8800GTS would scale even higher if you throw more cpu capability at it.

I moved from the P4 2.8 to the 3700+ and had a large increase in fps with my old 6600GT - one similar.

My own recent experience moving from a 7900GS to an 8800GTS tells me that I am once more cpu bottlenecked. I can't overclock the cpu any further, and even though I have a dual core X2 coming, that won't help me much in single threaded games (and I probably won't be able to OC it as high as my current cpu). So I ordered a low end C2D parts yesterday.

Half Life 2 is based on Source engine. Source games- like counter-strike- scale with CPU. I want to say it has something to do with the physics engine. Most other games do not have this issue, Half Life 2 is definitely an exception.

Stop feeding him with misinformation. His cpu sucks yes, but it doesn't suck so much that it would limit an 8800gts to a 7900gs. Hell, I don't think his cpu would limit him in resolutions less than 1600x1200. I'm still regretting my e6300 purchase since my prescott p4 w/ ht would still handle all my games at 1280x1024. Fuck the people who made me think it was a dinosaur holding me back from 20 more fps. It was more like 2 fps.

:p :D

lol ,

anyways i am not forcing AA or AF

and i cleaned my drivers and installed a new one.

i think it is the MOBO and the processor.

could the MOBO be that weak , it is a 16 X PCI-E but still an entry level MOBO.

with no support for core2duo.

Do me a favor,

Try forcing AA and AF and see if your scores improve.

Half Life 2 is based on Source engine. Source games- like counter-strike- scale with CPU. I want to say it has something to do with the physics engine. Most other games do not have this issue, Half Life 2 is definitely an exception.

That's not true. All games scale. Some games more than others. Long as your not limited by your graphics card.

It's because you are still limited by your 7900gt. :rolleyes:

Core 2 duo is faster but at 2.1ghz it's no faster than P4 4.0 ghz.

really? So my fiance's computer has a 7800gt and a 3500+ oc'd to 2.6ghz, would getting a dual core help her games?

It's because you are still limited by your 7900gt. :rolleyes:

Core 2 duo is faster but at 2.1ghz it's no faster than P4 4.0 ghz.

So you're saying that if I overclock my cpu just 300 more mhz to an e6600, I'll get that 20 fps I was promised? I call bullshit. Even then, it's gonna consume more power as an overclocked DC processor, defeating the main advantage of my crappy upgrade. I run torrents 24-7, legal one's of course, why else would I run torrents 24-7?

I shouldn't have listened to enthusiasts touting C2D as a "must have upgrade" (FUCK YOU ANANDTECH.COM, FUCK YOUR "FAKEMARKS", 20 MORE FPS WITH EVERYTHING TURNED DOWN TRICKED ME YOU COCK SUCKERS). My old p4 was great at multitasking with its HT and it performed just as well as my C2D even on the source engine provided I was playing at 1600x1200 or lower.

So you're saying that if I overclock my cpu just 300 more mhz to an e6600, I'll get that 20 fps I was promised? I call bullshit. Even then, it's gonna consume more power as an overclocked DC processor, defeating the main advantage of my crappy upgrade. I run torrents 24-7, legal one's of course, why else would I run torrents 24-7?

I shouldn't have listened to enthusiasts touting C2D as a "must have upgrade" (FUCK YOU ANANDTECH.COM, FUCK YOUR "FAKEMARKS", 20 MORE FPS WITH EVERYTHING TURNED DOWN TRICKED ME YOU COCK SUCKERS). My old p4 was great at multitasking with its HT and it performed just as well as my C2D even on the source engine provided I was playing at 1600x1200 or lower.

Do you ever have anything nice to say? You seem to do nothing but spit venom at everyone. I'm sorry that last post just crossed the line in my opinion, combined with your posting in the PSP firmware thread, I just reported your post.

really? So my fiance's computer has a 7800gt and a 3500+ oc'd to 2.6ghz, would getting a dual core help her games?

Probably not, as a dualcore would probably overclock to about 2.6ghz - and most games are singlethreaded.

It might help other things, if there's multi-tasking / multithreaded applications involved.

I think a c2d overclocked to 3 - 3.5+ ghz would definately provide more fps.

And I can imagine that even with a slight vcore bump, it's still probably burning fewer watts than a P4 prescott.

Clock speed does not make a bit of difference. The cpu architecture does. Obviously the clock speed makes a difference, but a single core pentium 4 at 4ghz playing a single core game versus a dual core core 2 duo at 2.5ghz, using only 1 core, the core 2 would be faster. Its been like this for quite a long time;.

Clock speed does not make a bit of difference. The cpu architecture does. Obviously the clock speed makes a difference, but a single core pentium 4 at 4ghz playing a single core game versus a dual core core 2 duo at 2.5ghz, using only 1 core, the core 2 would be faster. Its been like this for quite a long time;.

er... you say clock speed does not make a bit of difference, then you say it obviously makes a difference. What?

Back