8800gts overclock stability

SavageThrash

Limp Gawd
Im currently overclocking my 8800gts and have been using ati tool and letting it run about 10 mins to find artifacts before moving to the next step up. Im currently at 614 core and 954 memory at about 69c.

Im guessing i should stop once i get artifacts or system crashes. Once i get to epoint ill prolly bump the clocks down a little bit so i don't get artifacts. How do i then stress tess teh card even more to make sure? Should i run several hours of ati tool or is there a program i can use?

Also i heard something about relating core speed and memory speed to each other to get best performance im guessing similar to fsb and memory/cpu speeds, should i worry about this?

Thanks Savage

You will probably top out ~650ish core, also there are steps that the 8 series uses

8800clockchartdj0.jpg

Use ATiTool's artifact scan + this: http://www.daionet.gr.jp/~masa/rthdribl/

And have it run for like an hour or so, if you are artifact free you are good to go!

Oh, and with the new drivers the shaders are independent from the core, so use Rivatuner to up the shaders if AtiTool isn't upping them.

Using ATI Tool for a period of time like you did is a good test. I decided on 5min or so between clock bumps and once i I found my max i ran it for 30min as a final test. To test further i suggest just playing some of your favorite games that are graphically demanding...pong would not be a good choice.

As for the core to memory clock ratio i think the best bet is just to get each as high as they can while still being stable.

How do i tell if ati tool is bumping the shader?

also i dont totally understand your chart there i understand the core speed and shader (im guessing i can adjust shader) but whats the memory speed supposed to be and what is teh "frequency" is that actully the core speed?

How do i tell if ati tool is bumping the shader?

also i dont totally understand your chart there i understand the core speed and shader (im guessing i can adjust shader) but whats the memory speed supposed to be and what is teh "frequency" is that actully the core speed?

Memory is independent from the core/shader, you can set it to whatever you want thats stable.

As for the chart:

When you set the core to 636 in the OCing program, it actually runs it at 648.
When you set it to 660, it again puts it at 648.
But when you go to 662, it will run at 675.

It goes up in steps, so you don't need to test ever 5mhz or whatever, but rather each step (eg: 648, 675, etc)

i need a little help and since its a similiar topic didnt make a new one. I have the 163.71 drivers, but i dled ati tool and when i tried the artifact scanner it said there was no compatable gpu or something along those lines. can you link me to a version that works or tell me why it doesnt?

Ah thank you jmacky :)

one last thing, how do i tell if ati tool is bumping the shader core and if not where do i change it in riva tuner

Ah thank you jmacky :)

one last thing, how do i tell if ati tool is bumping the shader core and if not where do i change it in riva tuner

I think there is a bar in AtiTool, but maybe there are just 2, Core & Memory... You can always run Rivatuner's monitor program (the thing that shows temps and speeds and such on the green/black graphs) and see if it rases as you OC in atitool, otherwise you will just have to OC w/ Rivatuner.

There is an option to set somewhere in Rivatuner to allow the core and shaders to be independent, but the newest version also does them with the default ratio which is fine for most people.

Anyway, just see if they are going up at all with either program, you can probably use the default ratio and not bother trying to up the shaders much more, as its not a huge improvement.

Currently at 665 (675 with the stepping) core, 1000 mem @ 69-70c

and ati is bumping the shader core

Edit: Should i be going much higher then this for my core and mem speeds? The temp is still failry safe but it just doesnt seem like a good idea

how do you make the shader clock independent in rivatuner

There is an option you have to turn on iirc, in the power user settings... I am using some slightly older drivers and 2.04 not 2.05 so not sure.

Back