8800GTS...only ~3500PPD?

ccityinstaller

Supreme [H]ardness
Hey guys,

I traded my ATI 4850 (which was getting 2100~2400PPD) for an eVGA 8800GTS+ cash from a member here. I got the card in today and installed the latest Nvidia drivers. It is currently crunching a 6064 (GPU2), and HFM.Net is telling me it's currently only getting 3560PPD. I have the core/memory at stock speeds, but o/c'd the shaders to 1404Mhz, as Kendrak instructed me to do. I am sorta bummed because I traded off a superior card (gaming wise) in the hopes of getting a much better output PPD wise. I was told that the 8800s should get between 5000-7000 a day. I am only getting roughly 1500 PPD more than my ati card, at the expense of a much higher power draw. Anyone have any ideas?

Power wise I bet your closer than you think. The ati card would also pull more CPU power don't forget

on that note, wait for a few WU's and then let us know if the numbers don't change, you may have a slow unit, I get a few here and there still
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

Power wise I bet your closer than you think. The ati card would also pull more CPU power don't forget

on that note, wait for a few WU's and then let us know if the numbers don't change, you may have a slow unit, I get a few here and there still
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

I know the ATI card would use more CPU power, that is why I made sure I went with an Nvidia card. I wanted to make sure I could keep all Six cores on the SMP client. The GPU client is now 12% through the 2nd WU, and should be finished by 9:30. PPD went up slightly to 3600. I'll report back after the 3rd WU finishes.

wait its an 8800GTS? i thought the shaders were at or above 1500mhz? if im not mistaken the 8800GT was 625/1503/900? is this the G92 8800GTS or G80 8800GTS? if its a G92 overclock the shaders higher..

yeah i just looked up some numbers.. the stock shader clock for an 8800GTS g92 512mb card is 1625 mhz.. your way under that if thats the card you have.. now if you have the 8800GTS G80 320/640mb card then your numbers are about right..

did some more research.. you should have no problems hitting 1900+ mhz on the shaders if not more since the gpu client isnt as sensitive to shader clocks as games are..

Last edited:
Thanks for the info SirMonkey. I just checked GPU-Z, and it is a G80 based card. I'm a little peeved cuz the seller told me it was a G92 card..Since it is a G80, how high to do think I can go on the shaders?
Also, just to reaffirm what Kendrak mentioned, I should leave the core/mem clocks at stock and focus solely on the shaders? If you can't tell, I haven't owned an Nvidia card since my G4 TI4400 lol..I went from there to 9800PRO AIW, 1800XT, X1950 PRO(jst for the ill fated GPU client), to a 4850..

Thanks for the info SirMonkey. I just checked GPU-Z, and it is a G80 based card. I'm a little peeved cuz the seller told me it was a G92 card..Since it is a G80, how high to do think I can go on the shaders?
Also, just to reaffirm what Kendrak mentioned, I should leave the core/mem clocks at stock and focus solely on the shaders? If you can't tell, I haven't owned an Nvidia card since my G4 TI4400 lol..I went from there to 9800PRO AIW, 1800XT, X1950 PRO(jst for the ill fated GPU client), to a 4850..

yeah you got screwed big time but at least you got some cash out of it.. ill look up some numbers for the card and edit this post.. which version is it the 320 or 640mb? also in GPU-z check to see if it shows 96 or 112 shader processors..

Last edited:
yeah you got screwed big time but at least you got some cash out of it.. ill look up some numbers for the card and edit this post.. which version is it the 320 or 640mb? also in GPU-z check to see if it shows 96 or 112 shader processors..

SM,
I just checked and it is the eVGA 320MB, 96SP version. Like I said, I'm not to happy about it, but if I were to ship the card back to the seller, I'd be out $28 for shipping (the 4850 to him and the 8800GTS back). Assuming I could have sold my 4850 with AC SL1 for $100, I basicly paid $40 for the card since the deal included $60 cash.

EvGA has a lifetime warranty, so if I needed to ever RMA the card, I should at least get a 9 series back to replace it, wouldn't you think?

The EVGA warranty isn't transferable. If the seller won't work with you on an RMA you are screwed.

EvGA has a lifetime warranty, so if I needed to ever RMA the card, I should at least get a 9 series back to replace it, wouldn't you think?

the only way the lifetime warranty would work is if the card was less then a year old the original owner didnt register the card with EVGA.. so your pretty much screwed on that front.. if you were to rma it for damage it would most likely be replaced with a 9800GT which is a rebranded 8800GT.. while ya its better its not that much better..

as far as overclocking it i really havent been able to find any numbers on how high the shaders will go.. if it was me overclocking the card.. i would over clock in 54mhz steps.. so we know 1404 is stable folding.. i would raise it to 1458 let it run 3-4 WU's.. if none of them fail then try raising it to 1516mhz let it run a few WU's.. see if any of them fail.. its pretty much the only way to find what the highest shader overclock you can get out of it.. once you find the wall on how high you can raise the shaders try to see how high you can take the GPU.. see if the PPD increase is worth it for the temp increase.. if its not then go back down toward stock clocks on the gpu..

your best option in my opinion is to see if you can find some one willing to sell an 8800GTS for 60 bucks and then try selling the 8800GTS 320 to some one else or use it as a back up card for another system.. and if it was me id be pming this jackass for ripping you off and there is absolutely no reason why you should be paying shipping to send it + the money back.. he lied and its on him to fix this otherwise the reputation will follow him for now on with this forum.. i also would talk to one of the mods to make sure this guys not allowed to sell anything else on this forum..

Well, I've talked to the seller, and he said he registered the card in his name but eVGA said that since he didn't register in the first 30 days, the lifetime warranty doesn't apply. He said he would speak with them to see if that holds true, or whether the card would be able to be RMA'd if need be.

As far as this card goes, I was actually running at 1419 on the shaders...I upped it 54Mhz like you suggested and it just started a new WU with a report of 3702 PPD..IF I could have gotten at least 5K PPD out of it, I wouldn't really mind so much..But getting less then a 50-60% improvement while taking such a big loss were I to actually find some time to play a few games sucks..

The one good note is that when I came back to my system, HFM.NET is reporting that I am now getting over 13.385 PPD out of my X1055T..I must say that I am totally impressed with this processor!

Well, I've talked to the seller, and he said he registered the card in his name but eVGA said that since he didn't register in the first 30 days, the lifetime warranty doesn't apply. He said he would speak with them to see if that holds true, or whether the card would be able to be RMA'd if need be.

As far as this card goes, I was actually running at 1419 on the shaders...I upped it 54Mhz like you suggested and it just started a new WU with a report of 3702 PPD..IF I could have gotten at least 5K PPD out of it, I wouldn't really mind so much..But getting less then a 50-60% improvement while taking such a big loss were I to actually find some time to play a few games sucks..

The one good note is that when I came back to my system, HFM.NET is reporting that I am now getting over 13.385 PPD out of my X1055T..I must say that I am totally impressed with this processor!

such a big hit in gaming? lol the 4850 in 2D mode does better then the 8800GTS 320 in 3D mode :p i honestly would of given the guy 30 bucks for the card and kept the 4850.. but shit happens..

yeah stop reminding me about the 1055T.. i friggin want a 1090T so badly but im stuck with my phenom II 940 for now..

Just save some money and get the 1055T..I thought about squeezing out the extra for the 1090T and going with a cheaper board, but after the results I've gotten I cannot complain...I am pretty impressed with the 890GX chipset..
I used to shy away from anything with an IGP but after reading the review @ [H] and getting a $30 discount at Superbiz thanks to their Mother's Day Sale, I thought I came out pretty well..

Just save some money and get the 1055T..I thought about squeezing out the extra for the 1090T and going with a cheaper board, but after the results I've gotten I cannot complain...I am pretty impressed with the 890GX chipset..
I used to shy away from anything with an IGP but after reading the review @ [H] and getting a $30 discount at Superbiz thanks to their Mother's Day Sale, I thought I came out pretty well..

i already have to replace everything to get the 1055T so i might as well spend the extra on the 1090T and after all these years of overclocking ive become lazy and enjoy having the unlocked multiplier on the black edition processors.. which is why i was willing to fork over 230 dollars for my 940.. yeah AMD's IGP's are nice.. i was using a biostar 780g for a while til i finally killed the board..

OP and I resolved this. I did not claim it to be a G92 card, but OP was under that impression.

Last edited:
Back